LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, it's not AUDIO gear but it's equally important...and OMG is it COMFYYYYY...woke up and ,as usual I opened the shades to do dishes and make brekky and HEY, WHAZZAT IN MY PORCH? .. a HUGE BOX with my new lovely Embody chair!
And, the best thing, NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! Open the box and , ROLL IT OUT!...and for $1,600 -after 20% discount- I think it's rather lovely! The personI chetted with told me that , if it ever starts making any noise that they would send me a new part to replace it!
Of course , i am now sitting on it...ahhhhhhh!!!
View attachment 91358
I like the looks & the color. I bet it's comfy. Were you able to try it out before ordering or just took a chance?

And it's a good thing you didn't take a chance with this chair:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgw...-turns-computer-monitor-off-baffling-everyone

Sweet Kap'n! Wonder if I can get a trade in on my Sam's el cheapo, where I do all my listening from?
Let's see: it has tears on the armrests from a favorite cat that passed some years ago. It has damage from maneuvering it about in a small space for years (also to the arm rests)
It's not real comfy on the butt so I have an extra cushion.

Nah, I'll just keep it. For <$200 but many years of memories I can't let it go. lol.

But seriously, looks like you got a great chair! Enjoy, Kap'n! Looks like a winner.

I like the looks & the color. I bet it's comfy. Were you able to try it out before ordering or just took a chance?

And it's a good thing you didn't take a chance with this chair:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgw...-turns-computer-monitor-off-baffling-everyone
Nope , I did NOT try it out but I read everywhere that there have never been any complaints about any HM chairs, so I risked it!

And YESSSSSS, VERY COMFY, definitely worth its money especially all of us who spend a lot of their days sitting down!!!...hey, just looking after number ONE!

Sweet Kap'n! Wonder if I can get a trade in on my Sam's el cheapo, where I do all my listening from?
Let's see: it has tears on the armrests from a favorite cat that passed some years ago. It has damage from maneuvering it about in a small space for years (also to the arm rests)
It's not real comfy on the butt so I have an extra cushion.

Nah, I'll just keep it. For <$200 but many years of memories I can't let it go. lol.

But seriously, looks like you got a great chair! Enjoy, Kap'n! Looks like a winner.
Thanks so much!
and I am sure your departed kitty would approve of a new chair like this.... just so it could chew the armrests which are NICE AND COMMMMFYYYYYY.....meow!

well, it's not AUDIO gear but it's equally important...and OMG is it COMFYYYYY...woke up and ,as usual I opened the shades to do dishes and make brekky and HEY, WHAZZAT IN MY PORCH? .. a HUGE BOX with my new lovely Embody chair!
And, the best thing, NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! Open the box and , ROLL IT OUT!...and for $1,600 -after 20% discount- I think it's rather lovely! The personI chetted with told me that , if it ever starts making any noise that they would send me a new part to replace it!
Of course , i am now sitting on it...ahhhhhhh!!!
View attachment 91358
If it's a HermanMiller, they're pretty nice chairs Kap', I've had one (my main chair in my Quad/Computer room) for about 30 years now, still comfy and going strong 💪

Have always been a trackball man ever since I was a Synclavier operator and it had a HUGE trackball instead of a mouse in its Mac II Fx interface. The latest one I got was about 5 years ago and it never functioned right and after a few years of using a normal mouse I found this nifty Kensington slim one with scrolling feature-you rotate the ball left or right...
Was about $90 at the evil Bayzos empire but, hey..
https://www.kensington.com/p/produc...tions/trackball-products/slimblade-trackball/

Well I got my miniDSP UMIK-1 mic off the Amazon today.
I bought it for the Dirac Live/Speaker measurements.
So it did not work. Changed USB cables several times. Uh-uh. Mild panic, left phone message with seller.

Finally robbed an extension cable off a device and added USB > USB C adapters. Replaced supplied cable. Success!
Seller called later, and is going to send another cable.

Why, why, is everything so hard? I swear, I do, that Murphy and his destructive laws have a bead on me. If it's a cable, something's bound to freak up.

All is well that ends well.

Now need day with the wife out of the house, no helicopters, small aircraft, jet fighters, quiet dogs, phone turned off, and patience.
A nearly impossible matrix, although the software itself is not difficult to use.
But, why is everything so hard? lol. Murphy, stay away!

Audio manufacturers starting with the Japanese in the seventies made an art form out of reducing the amount of copper in interconnect cables. The Chinese manufacturers have outdone the Japanese and now we have cables , that if you look at them crooked they open a conductor.

Now need day with the wife out of the house, no helicopters, small aircraft, jet fighters, quiet dogs, phone turned off, and patience.
A nearly impossible matrix, although the software itself is not difficult to use.
But, why is everything so hard? lol. Murphy, stay away!
I do all my calibration measurements around 2:00 am.
The OL was always in bed and the measurement tones don't
have to be so loud to disturb her or the neighbors.

I do all my calibration measurements around 2:00 am.
The OL was always in bed and the measurement tones don't
have to be so loud to disturb her or the neighbors.

Yeah, all of my calibration was done in the evening when my wife was out, all HVAC equipment and refrigeration turned off, and no birds singing. But at 2:00 am? I don't think I stay up that late anymore.

In my audio room I also have a very large pc with lots of fans. I've managed to turn them down/off and get the noise floor down to about -45dB with the "puck" mic. I did a little test with the UMIK-1 yesterday and found getting below the "high" 30's tough with the better mic.
I may have to install the Dirac Live pc app on my other pc and see if I can get a lower noise floor with the "big ass" pc turned off.

This little thing!
IMG_20230805_144614517.jpg

Cool! Audiophile gear or musician's gear? Tell us more!
Joystick!

MIDI over USB connection. Musician/engineer gear. "Audiophile" will depend on any end result in a mix! Thought it might cross over to this forum.

I'll tell you this. There are these ultra expensive joystick units from Digidesign and the like for $900 or about aimed at studios. Or you have the gamer stuff that simulates airplane joystick that springs back to the middle. And some of the other ones are just too clunky.

The above was $100 on Ebay. Someone's home brew project. Finally something reasonable!

I can make one of the knobs the z axis (height). x/y on the joystick as expected and I can pan anywhere in 7.1.4 with 2 hands.

Yeah, all of my calibration was done in the evening when my wife was out, all HVAC equipment and refrigeration turned off, and no birds singing. But at 2:00 am? I don't think I stay up that late anymore.
I've always been a nite-owl.
Since retirement I rarely go to bed before 3am or get up before noon.
No phone calls, no neighboorhood noise, just quiet peaceful time.
I love it !

Back