Tab Patterson is absolutely awesome

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbyquad

tab just mailed me several of his dts conversions. they are beyond incredible. he is a genius. a flat out genius.

i took some over to fry's, a local electronics store, and told the sales rep to put some into his top of the line dts system. ( i had the guess who gh, i robot, the doors gh, bread gh, can't buy a thrill and tommy james and the shondells gh loaded)

in about 5 minutes, there were 3 reps standing around completely stunned. and also several others looking off into space because they could not believe what they were hearing. my mom who is 68 walked over after looking at the tv's and said this sounds great, why don't you have this music?

the reps literally followed me down the aisle as i walked out begging me for my number so they could get the doors from me. they said they could sell ten times the systems if they had that.

anyone who says there is no market for classic dts 5.1 music is nuts. if the beatles woke up and released their catalog one at a time, each release would be number 1. they would sell millions.

i have a 500 watt mcintosh amp. a preamp console and studio klipsch speakers with nearly every mfsl release but nothing ever sounded better to me than these little cds thru a DTS dvd player run by a 179.00 yamaha and some old garage speakers i rigged up.

email tab, get his list. you will NOT be sorry.

JonUrban said:
Tab is the standard!
100% Agreed... but please don't sell Cai and yourself short either. i have heard some really nice work from both of you too!

Bob Romano said:
100% Agreed... but please don't sell Cai and yourself short either. i have heard some really nice work from both of you too!
Sure! Suck up to the Administrators! :D :D

Thanks Bob !(y)

JonUrban said:
Sure! Suck up to the Administrators! :D :D

Thanks Bob !(y)
Isn't that how I got the Super Moderator job in the first place? :D

BTW... got a fresh box of kleenex to wipe the brown off my nose sir!

tab and tad, sometimes it get very confusing - to me too!

Texas - Hawaii.....that's a lot easier to remember!! :D :D

Wasn't Tab the one with the robotic lawnmower???

I know how to get to Texas from Hawaii.....

Walk east until you smell it then walk south until you step in it!!!!!

/runs to avoid attack from robotic lawn mower

A Question for Tab
are you thinking of going DVD-A in the future
I think your DTS is great but would love it in DVD-A

If you can do them even close to what he does though, which a lot of us can on the boards here, save yourself the money and do it yourself. I have heard his stuff, and it's good, but is it better than what I can do? Comparable. I encourage people with the time to try their hand at it also. I could blow those Frys guys away not only with my Quad conversions, but with all the stereo to 5.1 work i have done. Nothing like the satisfaction of hearing your work at the end of a project , and it sounding great. I do understand not everyone can do it, but I think more people can than actually do it.

...save yourself the money and do it yourself.

...I do understand not everyone can do it, but I think more people can than actually do it.
How much is your time worth to you?

Here is my logic: Do I pay five or even ten bucks for a conversion or do I do it myself? How long does a quality conversion take? When I do it myself it can easily consume eight hours, and that's a conservative estimate. How much is my time worth? $100 bucks an hour, that's AT LEAST how much my time is worth to me. So, ten bucks or eight-hundred for a conversion? It's a no-brainer.

However, when I do a conversion it is for fun. But I want a helluva lot more stuff than I can ever hope to find time for, and that's why I don't do every frickin' thing myself.

Doing something just because you can is no way to get by in this world. I mean, I can grow my own wheat, harvest it, grind it into flour, and bake my own bread. Yes I can do that. Or I can go to the store and buy a loaf.

It's all about opportunity costs.

Hi everyone,

I would LOVE to learn how to do this myself - can someone PM me with the necessary equipment and software (budget-minded and user-friendly of course) plus a little how-to in order to get my feet wet ... ?

I currently own both a Mac G4 laptop running Leopard w/DVD plus an HP PC running XP with a Creative Audigy 2 card, 2.1 speakers, 2 DVD drives and a plethora of programs at my disposal. I'm a musician of several years as well as a techie and a fan of almost every style of music. I'm also a 5.1 enthusiast with a growing DTS/SACD/DVD-A collection.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Back