Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UHD 4K Review a lot of us have been anticipating: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-4K-Blu-ray/198119/#Review

A Perfect Score!

2001-a-space-odyssey-blu-ray-movie-title-large.jpg

I’d planned to buy this last weekend with our local JBHiHi store having a 20% off sale. Sale has now ended.

Recent 4K watches if anyone's interested:

Blade Runner (1982): Again, one of my many favourites and colours/detail/surround mix/fidelity were all awesome. One thing that wasn't awesome was that dialogue in some short scenes was buried (e.g., when Gaff interrupts Deckard's noodle-fest in the beginning, dialogue was way further down than most other scenes and from the previously-released BD). Strange but it's easier to hear with a centre channel boost of 2-3dB. I don't mind a "loud" centre channel for movie watching, so not a major. It is the only adjustment that I've had to make for movie-watching for a long time though. Maybe someone with an Atmos set-up may be able to confirm if it's like that on theirs too (and if mine's not combining height sound to the fronts and drowning out the centre on my 5.1 set-up?).

The ATMOS track on 1982 Blade Runner is fantastic. I watched the 1982 original (in 4K) and then Balde Runner 2049. I thought the (new) soundtrack off the 1982 release was better. Lots of scenes with rain helps :). At times you can hear not just the rain falling above you, but above and in front of you as the rain drips of the umbrella. That's what it's all about.

Nothing directly to do with surround, but La-La Land Records is releasing a 30th Anniversary edition of Michael Kamen's Die Hard score, taken from recently found multi-tracks (presumably found when Fox was prepping the movie for a 4K release). Previous releases came from largely stereo or mono sources, so this is not only fairly complete (with other cues, unused music and alternate takes) it is the best it has probably ever sounded (certainly from the clips in the link).

I watched Mission Impossible: Fallout last night on BD:

Good bits:
1. Atmos/TrueHD sounded great on my 5.1. Some discreet moments but I had it cranked so loud, I might have missed some.
2. I really enjoyed the score and sat through all of the credits to listen to it.
3. Really exciting action scenes.
4. Rebecca Ferguson's face - wow.

I liked it way more than Rogue Nation (which I didn't really like at all). Might pick it up on 4K in future. Brain off, volume up.

Good bits:
1. Atmos/TrueHD sounded great on my 5.1. Some discreet moments but I had it cranked so loud, I might have missed some.
2. I really enjoyed the score and sat through all of the credits to listen to it.

I liked it way more than Rogue Nation (which I didn't really like at all). Might pick it up on 4K in future. Brain off, volume up.

You don't live in the US...release here is Dec 4th.

You don't live in the US...release here is Dec 4th.

Yeah, strange how NZ sometimes gets releases ahead of the US. I think we even got at least one of the Star Wars prequels at the cinema a day or so ahead of the US.

Mission Impossible: Fallout will be my last rental from the local video store as it closes in 2 days. Last one left for about 30km from my place. R.I.P. video stores. Might pour out a spool of video tape on the ground for our fallen homie, the humble video store.

Superman (1978) in 4K

Audio track #2 is the Dolby Atmos mix made from the 2001 5.1 remix elements .. plus some minor modifications here and there. I don't have an Atmos set-up yet, but full atmos equipped reviewers report active use of the overhead speakers, especially with the opening credits.

Default Audio track #1 for me is the real gem: The original 5.1 track from the 70mm mix with split surrounds that originally had a very limited release, as most 70mm prints of this title were mono surrounds only. For the first time, this mix can be finally heard at home in discrete form. All of the added new sound effects and changes from the 2001 remix are of course gone. It's the original mix, with occasional use of directional dialog and some very effective split surround moments as well. While I wish this track would have been lossless vs a DD 640kbs track, just to finally have it all at this point, is very, very cool.

Recommended. (y)

I wouldn't even call that a review....and once you get through all the "fluff" it comes down to the same basic problems for an LCD/LED based product...blacks can't match an OLED...off angle viewing is still a problem...and then there is blooming thrown in for good measure...and then the "motion" problems are still not resolved...you can keep adding pixel density and it won't cure those problems...the theory is since they can't resolve the problems associated with LED/LCD technology then provide an alternative to distract you...increased detail with pixel density is the "cure all" approach....

I wouldn't even call that a review....and once you get through all the "fluff" it comes down to the same basic problems for an LCD/LED based product...blacks can't match an OLED...off angle viewing is still a problem...and then there is blooming thrown in for good measure...and then the "motion" problems are still not resolved...you can keep adding pixel density and it won't cure those problems...the theory is since they can't resolve the problems associated with LED/LCD technology then provide an alternative to distract you...increased detail with pixel density is the "cure all" approach....

BAH HUMBUG!

But you forgot to mention the 'intense heat' it throws off. It still looks promising! A future 'project' for LG's OLED technology?

HIGHS
  • Excellent 8K upscaling
  • Industry-leading off-angle viewing
  • Dazzling, punchy HDR highlights
  • Respectable shadow detail
  • Impressive black levels
LOWS
  • Expensive
  • Produces tons of heat

Last edited:

Good bits:

I appreciated that the BD (so presumably the 4K version has it as well) retains the IMAX sections, opening up to 1.90 for those sections.
And I agree: Was much better than Rogue Nation.

I appreciated that the BD (so presumably the 4K version has it as well) retains the IMAX sections, opening up to 1.90 for those sections.
And I agree: Was much better than Rogue Nation.

Yeah, those changing aspect ratios worked really well. They can often be a bit weird (e.g., that scrunching of the ratio near the end of It Comes at Night - I was thinking, "Is that aspect ratio changing? Why is the aspect ratio changing?") but really opened up those particular scenes. Looking forward to another watch of the 4K once the price drops a smidge.

I actually hurt my back watching Mission Impossible: Fallout. My lumbar support cushion worked its way up a bit high and I didn't notice cos I was so engrossed in the action scenes + I was bracing for impact with all of the collisions! When it was over, I was like, "Ow, how'd that happen?" That's right; back injury watching Tom Cruise.

Watched “Singing in the Rain” on Blu-ray last night for the first time... amazing performances! Truly mind-blowing dancing and singing. Picture fully restored and gorgeous. Terrible surround mix, lol.

Watched “Singing in the Rain” on Blu-ray last night for the first time... amazing performances! Truly mind-blowing dancing and singing. Picture fully restored and gorgeous. Terrible surround mix, lol.

I watched the Warner Archives restoration of Brigadoon recently and thought they did a beautiful job on this ole chestnut. It may be touted as 5.1, but it's really a more spacious stereo sound field. Worth checking out if you like those glorious 50's musicals.

91cR6e9oNZL._SL1500_.jpg

I watched the Warner Archives restoration of Brigadoon recently and thought they did a beautiful job on this ole chestnut. It may be touted as 5.1, but it's really a more spacious stereo sound field. Worth checking out if you like those glorious 50's musicals.

91cR6e9oNZL._SL1500_.jpg
Put it in my amazon cart last night... right after I fell in love with Cyd Charisse!

91cR6e9oNZL._SL1500_.jpg
Two others I was considering:
“On The Town” and “Anchors Aweigh”... any suggestions on which is better?

Back