Quad Mix of The Electric Light Orchestra on DVD-V?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were finally released on DVDA? Sounds like I need to pay attention and catch up then! (Speaking of wanting to hear copies closer to the master and all.)

Unfortunately, only the first album was released on an optical format, and its a DVD-V, not a DVD-A. IIRC ELO II and Eldorado were also mixed to quad but never released.

Yeah, I though I’d have to explain myself on this at some point lol. So I own a Blu-ray player that is capable with playing any of my albums whether they be SACDs, DVD-A or Blu Ray albums. However, that’s hooked up to its own setup in the living room. My 4.0 Quadsetup is located in my room so in order to listen to albums there I copy over my albums so that I can simply listen to them without needing a TV or dealing with select menus. I guess the easier way is to just by a SACD player, and I definitely intend to do that once I get more disks lol. My setup isn’t anything too spectacular so any degradation in sound isn’t very noticeable.

No problem...I understand exactly what you are doing...I did something similar when I started in this hobby...I too got a "late start" and I wasn't really sure if I wanted to fully commit to the hobby(one of my many commitment issues)so I bought an inexpensive player(Pioneer Elite)instead of buying an Oppo...I wanted to spend the money on all the discs...and since I got a late start they were expensive...so it was a good strategy...so later when I had gotten a lot of the "must have" discs I bought my first Oppo and I was on my way...I will say one thing...if you are sure you want to commit to the hobby...you are going to have to raise your price point above $20...there is nothing wrong with what you are doing now...the main thing is to get the music first...and you can get a player later...

...I will say one thing...if you are sure you want to commit to the hobby...you are going to have to raise your price point above $20...
Even "Cheapskate Baggins" has been known to go up to around $40 or so for desperately desired titles, but that's about it, so far.
For mixes locked in expensive boxes I usually invoke some kind of strategy like buying 2 or 3 and flipping the surplus, keeping only the disc I want in a paper sleeve (usually with a break-even starting bid, so I'm not ripping anybody off). To date, I don't think I've come out much worse than $40 for a disc yet. It can be a lot of work and hassle though!

Even "Cheapskate Baggins" has been known to go up to around $40 or so for desperately desired titles, but that's about it, so far.
For mixes locked in expensive boxes I usually invoke some kind of strategy like buying 2 or 3 and flipping the surplus, keeping only the disc I want in a paper sleeve (usually with a break-even starting bid, so I'm not ripping anybody off). To date, I don't think I've come out much worse than $40 for a disc yet. It can be a lot of work and hassle though!

Once my collection grows a bit I have no doubt that I’ll have to raise my budget a bit, especially since there seems to be a lot of interesting titles towards that range.

As far as those Quad reels I actually have a few of them. I have copies of Steely Dans Pretzel Logic and two Grand Funk Railroad albums.

Also not to drive the discussion in another direction, but how reasonable is it to work towards a CD-4 setup? It seems like a lot of albums in that format go for pretty cheap.

Yeah, I though I’d have to explain myself on this at some point lol. So I own a Blu-ray player that is capable with playing any of my albums whether they be SACDs, DVD-A or Blu Ray albums. However, that’s hooked up to its own setup in the living room. My 4.0 Quadsetup is located in my room so in order to listen to albums there I copy over my albums so that I can simply listen to them without needing a TV or dealing with select menus. I guess the easier way is to just by a SACD player, and I definitely intend to do that once I get more disks lol. My setup isn’t anything too spectacular so any degradation in sound isn’t very noticeable.

Quad recordings have been made in a variety of compatability friendly formats. They are playable "In Quad" on any system with a combo player . (Plays DTS CD , DD/DTS DVD, SACD , DVDA , And Bluray such as the Oppo or Sony combo players)

In a five one (5.1) playback system , only the quad should playback over your four speakers , as it does with mine.
So I do not need a 2nd setup to hear the quad recording separately , because they are designed to playback in quad as intended .

There are a number of "quad era" , from the 70's , discs available or at least were made available .

Format Examples..: DTS CD-Steve Miller , Fly Like An Eagle..........DTS/DD DVD - Ten Years After , A Space In
Time.............SACD - The Guess Who -Road Food and # 10...........DVD-A..-.Frank Zappa - Quadiophilliac (4ch and 5.1) ,
and BLU -RAY - Chicago , Quadio Box Set .

Hopefully this information is of some use for you if you wish to hear and play quadraphonic releases available in the newer formats. Compatible playback formats for combo players, that are all QUAD friendly and not just 5.1.

I didn't take Tpapps explanation to mean his second setup is there exclusively to play 4.0 formats because of a perceived incompatibility problem. His 4.0 rig is in a separate room and it does not have a disk player, so he dubs 4.0 onto a reel for playback in that room. Conversely, while he may have a multichannel disk player in the main system, he doesn't actually say that the main system is set up to play 4.0 or 5.1.

But that all being said... if the RTR is part of the 2nd system, how does he make a multichannel dub from the main system?

now I'm confused... o_Oo_Oo_O

I didn't take Tpapps explanation to mean his second setup is there exclusively to play 4.0 formats because of a perceived incompatibility problem. His 4.0 rig is in a separate room and it does not have a disk player, so he dubs 4.0 onto a reel for playback in that room. Conversely, while he may have a multichannel disk player in the main system, he doesn't actually say that the main system is set up to play 4.0 or 5.1.

But that all being said... if the RTR is part of the 2nd system, how does he make a multichannel dub from the main system?

now I'm confused... o_Oo_Oo_O

Yes the setup which has the blue ray player is is located in the living room, I’m actually only 17 so the Blu-Ray player is part of my Dad’s “Home Cinema” and I can’t really move anything from there or modify it (although it’s SERIOUSLY not setup correctly:rolleyes:) HOWEVER, In my bedroom (in the attic) I have a true quadraphonic setup with 4 speakers and a couch in the middle. Here I have my Quad 8 track player and Reel to reel as well as a turntable and cassette deck hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V1500. SO, I just lug my Akai 1730 down to the living room and pull the audio from analog output from the Blu-Ray player and dub it over to tape. This way I can experience the albums in true discrete quad and not have to deal with the living room setup.

Also, as of now this is what makes up my Hifi setup:
-Yamaha RX-V15000 AV Receiver
-Yamaha TT-500U Turntable
-Yamaha K-1020 Cassette Deck
-Technics SH-8057 Graphic Equalizer
-Akai 1730 D-SS Reel to Reel
-Olympic Tetraphonic Q-140 Quad 8-Track
-Pioneer Rh-65 Stereo 8-Track

I hope to upgrade (or downgrade lol) my receiver to something from the 70s so that I can decode SQ and QS vinyl and maybe CD-4. And I also hope to upgrade my quad 8 track to an Akai CR-80D-SS

Last edited:
That’s not even the problem, the real issue is that I have a couple other hobbies that tend to suck up money as well:p

My 'sage' advice, Tpapp, is to take your audio excursion one step at a time. If you decide to get involved with CD~4 Vinyl....be aware that the existing decoders for CD~4 are tricky, tricky...with a high failure rate. An Australian audio firm IS currently working on a brand new model but has met with inordinate delays. You should first explore ALL available Hi Res formats but not knowing what type of music you listen to makes recommendations problematic.

Last edited:
It warms my heart to hear about a young person that is into physical music formats. Maybe there is some hope for our crazy hobby after all.

Indeed...PLUS someone who is interested in a format(quad) that died over 40 years ago...you don't see that everyday...regardless of the age group:).. when I first mentioned quad to my friends they had this puzzled look on their face:whistle:

Yes the setup which has the blue ray player is is located in the living room, I’m actually only 17 so the Blu-Ray player is part of my Dad’s “Home Cinema” and I can’t really move anything from there or modify it (although it’s SERIOUSLY not setup correctly:rolleyes:) HOWEVER, In my bedroom (in the attic) I have a true quadraphonic setup with 4 speakers and a couch in the middle. Here I have my Quad 8 track player and Reel to reel as well as a turntable and cassette deck hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V1500. SO, I just lug my Akai 1730 down to the living room and pull the audio from analog output from the Blu-Ray player and dub it over to tape. This way I can experience the albums in true discrete quad and not have to deal with the living room setup.

Sounds cool (A Q4 deck is the only quad format missing from my setup), but it sounds like you might be better off investing in a cheap blu ray player (or SACD/DVDA unit) with 5.1 analog outs to hook up. Much less work than dubbing reels. Or you could convert everything to 5.1 FLAC files, store on an external HDD, and play through a cheap 5.1 soundcard. It's very easy to rip discs and record quad stuff into a PC and make new discs and/or files from there.

I'm 19 by the way...nice to have someone else in my age group here, though we're all anonymous so it's not like it really matters. Happy to help if you need any info about legacy quad gear or album reccomendations.

Sounds cool (A Q4 deck is the only quad format missing from my setup), but it sounds like you might be better off investing in a cheap blu ray player (or SACD/DVDA unit) with 5.1 analog outs to hook up. Much less work than dubbing reels. Or you could convert everything to 5.1 FLAC files, store on an external HDD, and play through a cheap 5.1 soundcard. It's very easy to rip discs and record quad stuff into a PC and make new discs and/or files from there.

I'm 19 by the way...nice to have someone else in my age group here, though we're all anonymous so it's not like it really matters. Happy to help if you need any info about legacy quad gear or album reccomendations.

I agree with this. Your first order of business should be to buy a cheap Bluray/SACD player, preferably one that can rip SACDs ( which you are going to want to do once you get further into this hobby).

Another piece of "sage" advice I am going to give you is something you might not like and that runs somewhat counter to this forum, but will help you in the long run. Since you are young and just starting out, I would say take things slow, save your money and spend it wisely. I would start saving and investing some money and definitely not get in to debt over this or any hobby for that matter. Before going out and buying a bunch of quad/surround recordings etc. try to first listen to the more easily available stereo recordings to figure out if you even like the band/type of music. Focus on spending only on music you really like. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth of advice.

Heh, not trying to run contrary to bluelightening's advice (which is sound), but if you do go collecting quadraphonic LP's, thrift stores and $1/$2 discount bins in record stores can be a great place to look. I've picked up a lot, maybe most of my quad LP's that way. If you're patient to go digging through piles of records for hours you can be rewarded pretty cheaply.

My personal best was 90+ LP's with 17 of them quads out of discount bins for only $33, after somewhere between eight and nine hours of picking. And then another 10 quads out of the regular bins at low prices the following day. I'll also gladly say that since I got a record cleaning machine, I haven't been afraid of a single record!

...if you do go collecting quadraphonic LP's, thrift stores and $1/$2 discount bins in record stores can be a great place to look. I've picked up a lot, maybe most of my quad LP's that way. If you're patient to go digging through piles of records for hours you can be rewarded pretty cheaply.

Absolutely agreed. If you know what artists to look for (consult Mark Anderson's quad discography http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm), you might end up finding some good ones. I find that record store owners usually know of quad, so it never hurts to ask.

The best are the rare stores that actually have dedicated quad bins, but alas those are far and few between.

I agree with this. Your first order of business should be to buy a cheap Bluray/SACD player, preferably one that can rip SACDs ( which you are going to want to do once you get further into this hobby).
Your receiver does not support DSD streams so the SACD/DVD-A player should have discrete analog 5.1 outputs.

Samsung's DVD-HD841/XAA DVD players can be had for very little money (patience and Make Offer helps) at ebay.

Your receiver does not support DSD streams so the SACD/DVD-A player should have discrete analog 5.1 outputs.

Samsung's DVD-HD841/XAA DVD players can be had for very little money (patience and Make Offer helps) at ebay.

Or convert to PCM on board and still output digitally?

Back