HiRez Poll Cooke, Ian - ANTIQUASAURIA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Ian Cooke - ANTIQUASAURIA

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
cooke trex.jpg
Cooke doesn't do much with the internet except for instagram, so I thought I'd share his post with SUE, the muse for the song Tyrannosaurus. He's in Chicago, so a stop to see her only makes sense. :)
He wrote: "Got to visit ‪#‎SUEtheTRex‬ at ‪#‎TheFieldMuseum‬ the other day. Come hear me sing about her tonight! That's right, ‪#‎SUE‬ is the particular ‪#‎TRex‬ that the song ‪#‎Tyrannosaurus‬ on the new ‪#‎dinosaur‬ album ‪#‎ANTIQUASAURIA‬ is about! ‪#‎DarlingofCarnivores‬ ‪#‎aintsheabeaut‬ ‪#‎Chicago‬ ‪#‎FieldMuseum‬ ‪#‎mesozoicmusic‬"

(the video we just released for Polycotylus is the other one from the album based on a specific animal)

A 10 from me (y). I've listened to it 5 times now, and am still loving it (but have so far resisted colouring in the book!). Excellent job with the surround mix from Neil, very clean and discrete and a joy to listen to. The songs are all enjoyable to me, the ones that I'm liking best are the Crimson esque rhythmic ones.

I am really impressed by this release. You can really tell that an incredible amount of work and care went into this, right down to the smallest details (like the incredibly cool packaging).

There really isn't anything negative I can say about it. The music is really well written and performed. It is complex enough to keep my attention for multiple listens, yet melodic enough to have me humming it throughout the day. The surround mix is top notch too. Well done Neil!

The fidelity is good too. Better than average for sure. Perhaps not as pristine as some audiophile labels are able to achieve, but still good.

The bonuses on the DVD are excellent too. The videos are fun to watch, as is the live performance. I really enjoyed the instrumental mix! I am going to rip it from the DVD to play over the squeezebox. I would have loved to have the instrumental mix in 5.1, but I know that is asking to much :)

The surprise of the year for sure! Everyone involved should be incredibly proud of this album.

I finally had some free alone time to listen to the DVD with surround mix. It is amazing. I found the surround mix a little predictable, but very discrete and enjoyable. I will hold off on voting until I have played it a few times, just to make my thoughts more coherent. This is one of those albums that is over way too quick, I felt a certain euphoria while listening to the surround mix, kinda like when I used to smoke. This is definitely a cheap and safe high that can be reused! I know it must be the music because I am drinking a decaf coffee.:music Once again I have to say it is a well spent $23.99, a bargain at twice the price. Like QL says, You NEED this.

p.s. Popshop, my disc played through the surround layer and videos just fine. Thank you for the replacement offer, but I don't think I will be needing it. Glad to see artists stand behind their work! Now to figger out how to get the rest of the albums....

Last edited:
Colsky, SMS, and Circular Vibes - thanks for your time and effort!
CV - Good to hear. I fold about everything, and mail it all out, so I can help with that. I stand behind it, above it, near it, etc :)
The other available 5.1 mix: https://uphollow.bandcamp.com/album/jackets-for-the-trip
(short history: Uphollow started in 1993, Cooke joined in 2001, then in 2007 Uphollow became Cooke's band)
Prog/punk band with Sean (drummer) and I in 2010: https://eolian.bandcamp.com/
Then a lot of other Ian Cooke stuff from 2007 to present: https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/music
(though only Fortitude LP and Cassowary CD/DVD [stereo] are available physically currently)
I'm happy to ship stuff together for cheaper shipping, etc. PM me if you have questions.
Ian O
to be a cheap, safe, and reusable high is a wonderful thing! Thanks! :smokin

An exceptional one. Mastered quite hot (DR9) but still acceptable. Imho the second best new surround album this year (after SW-HCE). Sorry, Mr Gilmour. A nine.

Just received this today and gave it a first listen (in surround, of course) and must say, I really enjoyed it! Really cool inventive packaging, great musical content, fantastic surround mix! If you haven't picked it up yet, you should! Very nicely done in all ways.

Good stuff. The compositions and arrangements are mature, inventive and varied - and work very well together in forming a strong unified concept. The surround mix is quite effective and compliments the music nicely without being overly aggressive. The sound overall is strong but I would have loved to hear the drums mixed with greater clarity and prominence. At times they feel rather distant, diminishing the potential intensity of some of the more rhythmically active tunes for me. The packaging is wholly original (and cool!) and the extras plentiful. Overall this is a tremendous bargain ($11.99 from Amazon). A nice under-the-radar surprise this one. A happy ‘9’ for me.

The sound overall is strong but I would have loved to hear the drums mixed with greater clarity and prominence. At times they feel rather distant, diminishing the potential intensity of some of the more rhythmically active tunes for me. The packaging is wholly original (and cool!) and the extras plentiful. Overall this is a tremendous bargain ($11.99 from Amazon). A nice under-the-radar surprise this one.

I echo this completely. Not sure about the choice to more or less bury the drums at times. The album still works. I want to listen in stereo before voting. It's a cool listen!

I went with a 9 on this.
Packaging 1
Content 3
Fidelity 3
Surround Mix 2 (YMMV)

Listening to the stereo mix confirms for me that levels are oddly chosen, at times, for the surround mix. In stereo the vocals are sitting in a good spot and the drums are as present as I'd like at all times. In surround they are within an acceptable range (for me,) but have always made me think "that's a little low" or "that's a little high" on certain tracks.
This is well worth picking up. It is a very unique concept and enjoyable listening experience.

Back