Dead QRX 6001?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, OK. I shipped my unit to www.qrxrestore.com to have them work on it. With the unit I enclosed a good xerox copy of the factory wiring schematics and troubleshooting guide along with a detailed letter describing what I wanted done. He claimed he did the work and had listened to it in his shop all day before he sent it back to me. Somewhere I have a movie of how the unit did and did not work when I received it back from him. It isn't worth posting, but it is clear in the video that the unit does not work. I sent him the video showing him what happened and his only response was to tell me to ship it back and he would charge me the hourly rate to diagnose and repair it. No, thanks. I have been ripped off enough on this transaction.

thanks reed.

sheesh.

ok - here goes.

that is a bad deal...and a lot of money. if you have time and the dough....open the conversation back up.

it was hard for me to get jim at qrxrestore to accept a 6 or 7001 - and when he did....he quoted me $900 + shipping both directions.

what i think has happened here - and nobody gives a shit what i think - but jim and qrxrestore no longer work on any equipment..only complete and total restorations - from the ground up...and this is a good reason why.

i betcha a dollar you are one of the reasons qrxrestore moved over to that format.

a qwik parallel.

i once bought datsun 280z cars. there was only so much i could or would work on them. when i would go to a shop - i promise you - i was shown the door several times and told that they werent werking on my old car.

i did find a "garage" that would work on it - locally - and i explained my problems with getting help from these other bigger mechanic shops.

he explained -

"when you work on something this old (1978)....i can repair your fuel injectors....but you will be back....because once i repair your fuel injectors and replace your fuel pump....all of your injector lines are still old...they will probably leak. and i can replace your a/c compressor.....but your drier is probably clogged and needs to go too. so no repair is complete....your car is old....it all needs to be replaced.

kind of like eating an elephant - you dont know what youre in for - you dont know where to start - and you dont know when to stop....until there aint no elephant left."

also reminds me of getting a 15hp mower motor "rebuilt" - the top end - piston and rings and valves ~$600

2 weeks later that mower threw the crank bearings and 2 quarts of oil down onto the lawn of an account.

i was furious.

went to the shop - they explained -
"you wanted the thing to qwit smoking - so we rebuilt the top end...to fix that. however with all the new compression and oil pressure...it forced out the lower ORIGINAL bearings that were probably loose due to age"

so i said - "wtf....why didnt u tell me that before if you knew it was going to happen?"

"i didnt know it was going to happen...but there is and was a chance...and it did"

"so now what fuckhead?"

"well, dont call me fuckhead...and for $300 more dollars i will rebuild the crank and bearings"

so thats what i did - and i still have the mower...4 years later.

jim at qrx restore is who i am using - and i am breaking my own rule about techs to do so - he is not in driving distance.

HOWEVER

i know a person that has had a slight issue once their machine was returned to them....and they did return their machine - they did get their machine tweaked - and returned to them - and qrxrestore DID cover the shipping costs and if there was error on jims part...of course there was no more hourly rate charges.

this is what i have heard - and i am not speaking for qrxrestore - just relaying what i have heard.

reed - if qrx restore could finish the repair...and your total bill from beginning to end is around $900....thats what jim feels like what it takes to be issue free - and fully restored....NOW.

at the time you sent him the machine he was obviously doing repairs too and not full restorations only.

i want jim at qrxrestore to be my answer - i need him to be. id like to see your machine back in his hands so we can all know the final outcome.

w.a.r.

A few years ago Jim said he didn't work on 6001s. Then last December I contacted him again and he said he would work on mine and do the specified repairs I asked for. Given that the 6001 uses some of the same boards as the 9001 and given that it is a much simpler machine as the 9001, I fail to see why he wouldn't be able to work on it. In any event, I already paid $200 to buy this machine and has spent $500 on repairs plus $160 on shipping. For that price I would have been ahead to just buy a working unit. I am not going to give any more of my money to a guy/company that did it wrong the first time. This is just a hobby of mine, not an obsession, and it isn't worth the headache, money, and frustration to keep dealing with people that don't do what they say they will do.

So, until I get the time and money to fix these myself, or until I get sick of storing them, I will have these two half-working 6001s in my storage unit and will have learned, once and for all, not to trust anybody. I hope people who have 9001s and the other units he works on have a better experience. Maybe the 6001 is too far out of his wheelhouse, I don't know. But I'm done with it.

thats fair enough - and i dont disagree one bit. good money after bad is hard for anyone to stomach.

its been 3 years recovery from my last burn.
something goes wrong again and it will be the last time.

when you put things into perspective....im sure there are about 10 million things youd rather have done with $750.

william reid

Back