ELO The Early Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bushmaster

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Just picked up a CD of the ELO the early years. Was told that it was encoded in SQ. As the literature that came with the CD stated that some were SQ encoded and others were discrete quad and just plain quad I found that it was a poor repersentation of quad. Stereo record, tapes and CDs did as good or better using a Sony SQD 2020. Other then a good program I'm disapointed in the encoding. I can do a better job recording to a CD any of my SQ records.

Just my thoughts...

Just picked up a CD of the ELO the early years. Was told that it was encoded in SQ. Other then a good program I'm disapointed in the encoding. I can do a better job recording to a CD any of my SQ records.

Just my thoughts...

Sorry but I don't think you can . At least not with these SQ encoded tracks as they're not available for the most part.
2 tracks were only available on the very rare Brazilian SQ encoded vinyl album of "First Light " .
And more importantly the 2 other SQ encoded tracks are being made available for the very first time , as the second ELO album was never released in quad, in any format , anywhere.

Are you saying that I can't record a SQ encoded record to CD and not be able to play it (the CD) back through a SQ decoder and not reproduce four channels of sound equal to the SQ encoded record?

Are you saying that I can't record a SQ encoded record to CD and not be able to play it (the CD) back through a SQ decoder and not reproduce four channels of sound equal to the SQ encoded record?

Likely you or anyone can.
Just not these particular quad encoded tracks which I was certain you were alluding to.

Likely you or anyone can.
Just not these particular quad encoded tracks which I was certain you were alluding to.

i think you need to re-read his posting. of course he can record SQ encoded tracks to CD. the set he purchased only contained SQ tracks by the way so unsure why he said discrete tracks

Yes. I'm sure that the discrete tracks will not decode on my system, but the SQ and Quad mixes should do something. Keep in mind that I have a 1970's system with a 1990's CD player/recorder (Tascam CD-RW5000). I know my systems limitations. I've been playing and recording tapes, records and CDs sense 1969 and quadraphonic sense 1972.

Rats...You'll need a magnifying glass.

Attachments

• DSCF5461 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5461 (Medium).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 95
I guess a "quad mix" or "SQ mix" doesn't mean its actually SQ encoded on this particular disc (it doesn't seem to say so explicitly). It could just mean that the multi-tracks that were used to create the quad mix originally have been copied but have been down mixed to two channel stereo (perhaps because the SQ encoded master no longer exists or because the producers didn't think anyone would have any means of decoding such a thing!) It would clearly give you the same sounds that were in the original quad version (and is therefore arguably artistically valid) but obviously not decodable in positional terms. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
That makes sense...

Caveat Emptor:
A while back this forum was discussing various CDs that were encoded in SQ. This was one of them on that list. I purchased it out of curiosity. My curiosity has been satisfied and an attempt to let others know what my findings were has also been satisfied.

Back