• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
But, at some point, I will spin the 12" vinyl. No doubt about that......I get comfort and calm when spinning some good vinyl. Especially, these older classic albums.

esimms86

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Why not? What is on them?
“Life’s Greatest Fool”(1974 singles version) and “Train Leaves Here This Morning”(Version 1). Do any of us ever listen to bonus versions and outtakes more than once? Outside of stuff like TWA Escher tracks, the answer for me is generally, “no.”

Heck, I don’t even own a turntable. Plus, for all the enjoyment I might possibly get out of playing them once and perhaps ruining them, the Flexis are more valuable left sealed.

markshan

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
“Life’s Greatest Fool”(1974 singles version) and “Train Leaves Here This Morning”(Version 1). Do any of us ever listen to bonus versions and outtakes more than once? Outside of stuff like TWA Escher tracks, the answer for me is generally, “no.”

Heck, I don’t even own a turntable. Plus, for all the enjoyment I might possibly get out of playing them once and perhaps ruining them, the Flexis are more valuable left sealed.
You won't damage a flexi playing it once if your turntable is properly set up. If it were me I'd digitize it so I had those versions down the road if I wanted them. I've digitized several flexis that had unique material on them. My favorite is a "Bob Magazine" flexi that had a Matthew Sweet demo unavailable elsewhere.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
When are some adventurous souls gonna start parting out those redundant MC SACDs?!
having now seen several disappointed purchasers' posts about the integrity of the internal box construction, i'm hoping to find a returned set pop up somewhere for maybe a few quid less than the RRP.. probably in vain but still.. 🤞

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Flexi disc...

Floppy disc...

I've got a whole stack of these from years ago, I believe out of Guitar Player magazine (or other :unsure:) stored somewhere. I think one was Steve Vai, but don't remember the others. If I ever get another (functioning) TT 🙄 I'll see if any are worth working with, but I remember them being very scratchy sounding.

esimms86

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
You won't damage a flexi playing it once if your turntable is properly set up. If it were me I'd digitize it so I had those versions down the road if I wanted them. I've digitized several flexis that had unique material on them. My favorite is a "Bob Magazine" flexi that had a Matthew Sweet demo unavailable elsewhere.
My bad:

Flexi 7” One (4AD0203SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
From A Silver Phial (Version 3)
Flexi 7” Two (4AD0204SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
Some Misunderstanding (Version 2)

I don't have a turntable so it's a moot point for me but I agree with what you have to say for people with well set up turntables with good cartridges and healthy styluses.

esimms86

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
When are some adventurous souls gonna start parting out those redundant MC SACDs?!
While I don't disagree, there is a niche of audiophiles who have DACs that sound best with DSD files. Some people also just prefer the sound of DSD. This, in my view, mostly matters for people with said preference listening to the stereo layers of the SACDs. I believe, however, that the few DSD-compatible multichannel DACs are DSD/FLAC agnostic.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
My bad:

Flexi 7” One (4AD0203SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
From A Silver Phial (Version 3)
Flexi 7” Two (4AD0204SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
Some Misunderstanding (Version 2)

I don't have a turntable so it's a moot point for me but I agree with what you have to say for people with well set up turntables with good cartridges and healthy styluses.
OK, OK...lmao! I'll rip mine and see what's up. :)