• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Heathkit Ad1013 CRT Dim

gazmono

Hi, I have recently bought a Heathkit AD1013 audio-scope from ebay (for £260). I have been waiting for one of these to come up for years and pounced on it. I am going to use it with my sansui QRX-6001 that I bought on a recommendation from mr. Quadrasaurus. The trouble is the display seem quite dim to me. At first I assumed it was just that it needed re-capping, especially as the waveforms wobbled about a bit but I have just finished replacing all the electrolytics and it is still the same. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a circuit diagram which doesn't show any adjustable pre-sets. Do old tubes just decay?

Not sure if this would work and must be careful but,
just like the old tv's if you can measure or know the filament voltage specs for tube,
add a separate filament transformer about a 1 volt maybe 2 higher(no more).
This might get by for a while whilst you look for another unit or crt replacement.
QC

gazmono

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I managed to find a relacement 3RP1A CRT @ http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/crts.html for around £60, which is a better price than the £100 ebay wants. It is good to know there are still stocks of these around. I will let you know wether it looks brighter than the old tube once I have received it.

w.a.reid

500 Club - QQ All Star
just for the record - i have the ad - 1013 - from a nice guy - d.g.wizard - completely restored by the heathkit master - i have never unboxed it - he sent owner/operator info too - i then - years later bought a very fine example of the ar-1500....the intended mate for the scope....at least in publications and magazine articles and the like. i plugged in the ar-1500 and the right rear side was visibly and olfactibly alarming - and the sound grew worse. i shut it downn and picked up the phone - no answer - turned on the computer....to find the heathkit wizard was dead....as of April.

http://www.heathkitstereo.com/

http://www.ebay.com/usr/dg_wizard?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

so - im not sure why im posting this, other than to say this is who i was going to for a restore on my ar-1500....

RIP Kevin

quadsearcher

700 Club - QQ All Star
Geez, your stories of repair tech horror stories make me want to offer my services, because I think I am honorable. But I could make a mistake. Anyway, I'm still trying to fully understand this Mesa/Boogie Mark 1 combo guitar amp. I fixed the main stuff, but found the outside two outputs run a lot hotter than the inside two. Some things are easier than others to talk about.

w.a.reid

500 Club - QQ All Star
Geez, your stories of repair tech horror stories make me want to offer my services, because I think I am honorable. But I could make a mistake. Anyway, I'm still trying to fully understand this Mesa/Boogie Mark 1 combo guitar amp. I fixed the main stuff, but found the outside two outputs run a lot hotter than the inside two. Some things are easier than others to talk about.
i remember you writing me this...but i kept looking for it in a PM....now i see it.....and will pm you...

w.a.r.