Oppo 205

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any of you hear a difference between the 7 filters? I cannot, but I no longer hear anything above 11kHz. (Old ears...the weakest link in the sound system.)
When I tried them out, I found some few and trivial differences. I selected the one I thought I liked best and have not looked back since. I do not remember which one it was.

When I tried them out, I found some few and trivial differences. I selected the one I thought I liked best and have not looked back since. I do not remember which one it was.

Kal, don't know if you're still on the AVS forum; but I saw some great guidance from you there on setting up the 205's LFE/Sub. settings. My prior player was a Denon 3910, and when I replaced it with the Oppo (just switched machines with no other changes); I heard a noticeable drop in bass response (especially on SACDs.) I connect via analog-direct since my receiver has no HDMI. Once I set it up per your instructions, it helped get the bass response back to a good level. I was going to bump that post here, but couldn't find it?

I just read the article, and what comes to mind is how these outputs are handled by your speakers. One reason I went with MartinLogan speakers is their Folded Motion tweeters which sounded less bright than Paradigm’s. I’m just asking, shouldn’t that be considered?

Sure, I'd say speakers are the number one concern for any audio setup. I've never owned Paradigm or MartinLogan speakers and don't know anything about Folded Motion tweets, so can't really comment on them. Most important is to find speakers that are as uncolored/neutral as possible. My front bookshelf speakers are built around Scan Speak silk dome tweets and Focal woofers with a minimum phase crossover design.

Sure, I'd say speakers are the number one concern for any audio setup. I've never owned Paradigm or MartinLogan speakers and don't know anything about Folded Motion tweets, so can't really comment on them. Most important is to find speakers that are as uncolored/neutral as possible. My front bookshelf speakers are built around Scan Speak silk dome tweets and Focal woofers with a minimum phase crossover design.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the article and love that kind of detail. The author seems to be good at writing about technical subjects, while making it understandable by non-Tech types like myself. As you said yourself you couldn't tell any difference from the different settings. I also tried out various settings just today and didn't notice any difference. I also have to believe not just speakers, but the music itself has a major impact on how you hear the settings, i.e. DSD 64 or DSD 128, how it was recorded and mastered and instruments such as violins etc. It comes down to each person's equipment, the music and fidelity, and our hearing ability. I haven't had a hearing test in decades, and I'm concerned about what I might find out, if I get that check up.

Kal, don't know if you're still on the AVS forum; but I saw some great guidance from you there on setting up the 205's LFE/Sub. settings. My prior player was a Denon 3910, and when I replaced it with the Oppo (just switched machines with no other changes); I heard a noticeable drop in bass response (especially on SACDs.) I connect via analog-direct since my receiver has no HDMI. Once I set it up per your instructions, it helped get the bass response back to a good level. I was going to bump that post here, but couldn't find it?
I am still there but I do not recall that post. What was your handle over there?

O.K. found the post and ooops, sincere apologies Kal, it wasn't one of yours. It's by a guy named Bob Pariseau (don't really know anything about him.)

Here's the post link titled "Notes on Setting Up for Analog Output":

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...ay-player-owner-s-thread-10.html#post52592073
Ah! No wonder I did not recall it (although I often do question my own memory). Bob is a straight-shooter and reliable. I have learned lots from him although not enough of his patience in careful explanation.

I'm curious as to what guys here (and maybe a Goddess) are using for RCA cables also?

I bought my cables some 13 years ago. I'm using 2-meter heavy duty Monster Cables for the stereo analog outputs. I'm using slightly lighter duty 2-meter Monster Cables for the 5.1 analog outputs. I went with the lighter duty cables for the 5.1 because the heavy duty cables are a bitch to get on and especially off; and there is more "crowding" around the 5.1 jacks. I need 2-meter lengths because of the distance from the player to the preamp. Do these Monster Cables make a difference over the plain vanilla stuff we can get from Amazon? I don't know.

I bought my cables some 13 years ago. I'm using 2-meter heavy duty Monster Cables for the stereo analog outputs. I'm using slightly lighter duty 2-meter Monster Cables for the 5.1 analog outputs. I went with the lighter duty cables for the 5.1 because the heavy duty cables are a bitch to get on and especially off; and there is more "crowding" around the 5.1 jacks. I need 2-meter lengths because of the distance from the player to the preamp. Do these Monster Cables make a difference over the plain vanilla stuff we can get from Amazon? I don't know.
You’re experience with Monster Cables sounds exactly like mine AR, seems I’ve read a lot of Monster cable bashing here & elsewhere, is it for those reasons or also “perceived” inferior performance?

I will be needing new RCA cables, probably 3', any recommendations?
I would recommend Blue Jeans LC-1. Sold in pairs. 3ft pair is $36.75.
One important aspect to me, is the flexibilty of the cable.
If you're hooking up 8 of these to the DAC & cables are stiff, you may have to find a way to anchor the DAC in a straight ahead position on your rack due to the weight & stiffness of all of the cables.
LC-1s are nice & flexible plus very well made.

One important aspect to me, is the flexibilty of the cable.

So I guess these cables might be problematic? :p

rca interconnects.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the article and love that kind of detail. The author seems to be good at writing about technical subjects, while making it understandable by non-Tech types like myself. As you said yourself you couldn't tell any difference from the different settings. I also tried out various settings just today and didn't notice any difference. I also have to believe not just speakers, but the music itself has a major impact on how you hear the settings, i.e. DSD 64 or DSD 128, how it was recorded and mastered and instruments such as violins etc. It comes down to each person's equipment, the music and fidelity, and our hearing ability. I haven't had a hearing test in decades, and I'm concerned about what I might find out, if I get that check up.
Hope I didn't sound confrontational. I was just making an observation on the importance of speakers. Also, I was only talking about hardware. The quality of the recording is a whole other subject, and even the best gear will not improve a poor recording (in fact will probably make it sound worse as all the flaws are more transparent). I won't argue about formats (SACD, 24 vs 16bit, etc.), though I do have a definite take on the subject, which is a reflection of the writings of people like Mark Waldrep, Bob Pariseau, Floyd E. Toole -- and of course my own ears :)

Hope I didn't sound confrontational. I was just making an observation on the importance of speakers. Also, I was only talking about hardware. The quality of the recording is a whole other subject, and even the best gear will not improve a poor recording (in fact will probably make it sound worse as all the flaws are more transparent). I won't argue about formats (SACD, 24 vs 16bit, etc.), though I do have a definite take on the subject, which is a reflection of the writings of people like Mark Waldrep, Bob Pariseau, Floyd E. Toole -- and of course my own ears :)
Hey we’re all :cool: I’m really pleased we’re getting some conversation going with this thread. Seems it was floundering for a long while.🙂

Last edited:
Back