• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Oppo 205 offered on FB for $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad they couldn't do another run to satisfy all those potential customers who came late to the game but alas, that is not in the cards!

AMEN to that!

Since this seems to be the post that has the most qualified posters, I'll ask a question or 2.......
What is the Darbee Edition of Oppo's and is it worth the extra cost for someone that just wants to play CD's?
I see the comparisons of 105 vs 205, but whats with the 203?
And what is UDP and BDP players?

Thanks in Advance

AMEN to that!

Since this seems to be the post that has the most qualified posters, I'll ask a question or 2.......
What is the Darbee Edition of Oppo's and is it worth the extra cost for someone that just wants to play CD's?
I see the comparisons of 105 vs 205, but whats with the 203?
And what is UDP and BDP players?

Thanks in Advance
It has to do with video, it will make no difference to CD playback.

Darbee Edition

BDP are regular Blu-ray players UDP are 4K Blu-ray players.

The 105 and the 205 are aimed at audiophile music listeners and have better D/A converters than the respective 103 and 203. However those are actually pretty good and I consider it rather doubtful that you could distinguish between the X03 and X05 in a properly blinded test.

The Darbee part of the 105D is a video improvement. See link above.

The Darbee part of the 105D is a video improvement. See link above.
I dispute improvement. The data on the blu ray should generate a specific video signal on the HDMI output. This is entirely digital and what it should produce on HDMI is entirely known. Anything else, like Darbee molestation, makes the HDMI output incorrect.

The above comment made me go and read the linked article about what Darbee processing is. It is likely real time FFT processing such as has been available in digital photography for a long time. As with digital sound you can't or shouldn't create something that isn't there. But you can increase the relative audibility of some sounds and the relative visibility of certain details. Adjustment of sliders is a must. These things can be useful to fit the content to different environments and screens. You don't have to use them if you don't want to. But I don't mind having the option.

https://www.drjohnruss.com/

Darbee is an “enhancement” to video from BDs and the HDMI input. I fiddled with it a few times, then considered it to be a waste of $100. It has zero effect on CD playback.
Exactly, zero effect on audio playback. I just acquired a mint 103D for $350 CAD. And I must say the Darbee enhancement shows a noticeable and welcome improvement in depth on DVD’s.

Exactly, zero effect on audio playback. I just acquired a mint 103D for $350 CAD. And I must say the Darbee enhancement shows a noticeable and welcome improvement in depth on DVD’s.
If it's so good why didn't the 203/205 include Darbee? I think it was added to the 10x because Oppo needed a new model in the market.

If it's so good why didn't the 203/205 include Darbee? I think it was added to the 10x because Oppo needed a new model in the market.
I can’t speak to that but I do think that it really is only beneficial for standard DVD’s and looks a little artificial with Blu-ray’s. Those look better with Darbee turned off in my testing.

I mainly got the Oppo for use with my Surround Master. I run the analog stereo outs direct to the SM. Lately I’ve been using it to watch episodes of SpongeBob. The DVD releases *only* contain a measly Dolby Digital stereo track but with the SM it creates a convincing atmosphere with voices staying up front and sound effects and music filling the rear speakers. Paired with the Darbee enhancement the DVD’s look near Blu-ray quality.

Probably because they didn't sell that many and it might not have been worth the licensing fee
Darbee, IMO, was an incremental video upgrade which did sharpen the image but with 1080p and now 4K no longer necessary.

And my advice to Bruce00: You now have an 8K monitor so why go backwards and settle for a 1080p capable player? You never know when you'll start investing in 4K content so at least your SONY 800 series which does play 4K will come in handy!

One of the reasons I'm interested in 4K blu ray is there is no region coding. Until recently not many blu rays from the US bothered with region coding, even if they had A printed on the label (many region Bs are coded as such). So my region B Oppo 95 could play everything. In recent years more stuff is actually region coded as A, and with blu ray you have to manually change region on the player and I find it an annoying faff. With UHD I know the disc can't possibly be region coded.

Darbee, IMO, was an incremental video upgrade which did sharpen the image but with 1080p and now 4K no longer necessary.

And my advice to Bruce00: You now have an 8K monitor so why go backwards and settle for a 1080p capable player? You never know when you'll start investing in 4K content so at least your SONY 800 series which does play 4K will come in handy!
I gave it to a gf, it's good barter material 😉
All I've read here that an OPPO, is the best available. Since I never heard about one, Iamtrying to educate myself asking questions.
So I really appreciate the dialog between posters, while it might be known info here, it's new to me.
I've already spoken to OPPO customer service

Back