• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Oppo 205 offered on FB for $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene_stl

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
There is an Oppo FB group and one of the members is offering an Oppo 205 for $2500. I don't know the guy but his profile doesn't smell scammy. However you must do your own due diligence. Shipping is extra or local pickup in Florida.

One of my ancient quotations , "Asking ain't gettin'!"
The guy on FB seems to have researched pricing reasonably and saves 15 to 20 % by selling outside of fleeb.

The listing says that they sold 7 of them. But I wonder if the earlier units went at this $8000 price tag.

are folks considering that a fair going price for this unit?

One sold on Ebay on May 11 for about $2000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2560649357...UZ2n/S4SbW+P1ujHiCunOCIw==|tkp:Bk9SR_Dzl4OMYg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2661646704...9SwR0riLQN29hU2RsVt4fQqA==|tkp:Bk9SR_Dzl4OMYg

The listing says that they sold 7 of them. But I wonder if the earlier units went at this $8000 price tag.

One sold on Ebay on May 11 for about $2000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2560649357...UZ2n/S4SbW+P1ujHiCunOCIw==|tkp:Bk9SR_Dzl4OMYg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2661646704...9SwR0riLQN29hU2RsVt4fQqA==|tkp:Bk9SR_Dzl4OMYg
Hehe, the one for $8k shows OBO, so I wonder what that seller actually sold them for.

IDK, $2k seems legit, doesn’t it? About 30% above MSRP.

I do not see the need for the Oppo-205 over the Oppo-105 in a purely audio setup. I am very happy with my 105 going straight into a Marantz 4000.

I do not see the need for the Oppo-205 over the Oppo-105 in a purely audio setup. I am very happy with my 105 going straight into a Marantz 4000.
While the OPPO 105 was indeed a great machine. 4K capability aside, the 205 which I purchased upon release with multi region chips, IMO, IS better ...sonically. Beefier power supply and other refinements [like improved DACs] were added to what I consider OPPO'S final statement in Universal playback and not that it matters to most, the addition of MQA playback via a firmware update was a nice touch [I have over 175 MQA encoded discs] but eliminating HDCD capability in the process was NOT].

Would I currently pay the outrageous prices the 205 is NOW commanding ... probably not. But as one who has upgraded OPPO players over the years I can rightfully assert that the 205 IS the undisputed champion of them all.

Too bad they couldn't do another run to satisfy all those potential customers who came late to the game but alas, that is not in the cards!

Last edited:
With regard to the OPPO players analogue output stages I can't attest to the BDP-105/UDP-205. But the differences between the BDP-103 and the UDP-203 are huge!

Although it is likely below the level of audibility, the Oppo 205 for a while occupied the top spot with respect to D/A converters over at Audio Science Review. It outperformed some very expensive standalone DACs.
I believe they were the very latest [at the time] 32 bit DACs! Definitely a major improvement over the 105!

Although it is likely below the level of audibility, the Oppo 205 for a while occupied the top spot with respect to D/A converters over at Audio Science Review. It outperformed some very expensive standalone DACs.
I've been using the DACs (AKM 32 bit 8-channel; AK4458VM) in my Marantz SR7013 in lieu of the Oppo 205 DACs for multichannel listening. Remarkably, the Marantz DACs coupled with Audyssey room correction (operating at < 500Hz) simply sound better than the Oppo 205 DACs without room correction.

I still use the Oppo 205 DACs with XLRs all the way through for periodic 2-channel listening.

A company whose business is ruining otherwise decent audio equipment. "modding" gear (to "improve" the sound) is almost always a bad idea. Usually a case of the blind leading the blind. Usually an audiophile money grab. I detest modwright and lampizator. but there is now a whole industry.

For a while the D/A converter in the Oppo 205 occupied the very top spot in Audio Science Reviews SINAD rankings out of all of the units tested. It has been surpassed but still is one of the top few. This because of the ESS D/A chip on the output. Then some idiot puts a vacuum tube there.

If vacuum tubes were good for anything the military would use them , the medical diagnostic industry would use them , the aviation industry would use them. Nobody does. Audiophile snake oil. The lore of making vacuum tubes was lost forever when the USA and European vacuum tube factories closed down in the 1960s and 70s.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

Last edited:
A company whose business is ruining otherwise decent audio equipment. "modding" gear (to "improve" the sound) is almost always a bad idea. Usually a case of the blind leading the blind. Usually an audiophile money grab. I detest modwright and lampizator. but there is now a whole industry.

For a while the D/A converter in the Oppo 205 occupied the very top spot in Audio Science Reviews SINAD rankings out of all of the units tested. It has been surpassed but still is one of the top few. This because of the ESS D/A chip on the output. Then some idiot puts a vacuum tube there.

If vacuum tubes were good for anything the military would use them , the medical diagnostic industry would use them , the aviation industry would use them. Nobody does. Audiophile snake oil. The lore of making vacuum tubes was lost forever when the USA and European vacuum tube factories closed down in the 1960s and 70s.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/
Tubes are delicate and finicky and drift out of spec, right? Those three words I would want far away from military, medical, and aviation scenarios! But those three words seem to be popular in niche audio settings, hehe.

Tubes affect the sound of audio gear so perhaps snake oil isn’t so appropriate since snake oil implies there is no true affect to be experienced?

As for a Modwright OPPO, I haven’t heard one and wouldn’t send in my OPPOs in for modification. But then I am a solid state guy anyway and don’t want to add finicky, delicate, nor drifting out of spec to my optical disc players… regardless of any sonic change it may provide.

I have two of the 203 models and bought my second copy when the notice of discontinuation came out in 2016. Both are operating perfectly. I modded one of them back in the day when I felt comfortable opening up the top. The other has a USB plugged into the back to make it region free.

Back