Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen quite a few YT reviews of the new OPPO, but none regarding the multichannel audio capabilities. Wondering if any QQ members have this unit and what you think of it from SACD, DVD-A playback perspective?

I don't have the 203 but you should expect the same high quality playback that previous models like the 193 and 195 offer. The 205, which is the Audiophile version of the 203 (like the 195 to the 193) will be offered shortly.

The one major difference is that neither the 203 or 205 decode HDCD discs unlike their predecessors.

I seriously doubt that you would regret your investment.

It also depends on how you want to connect the player to the rest of your system. I am guessing that most of the owners of the 203 will connect using HDMI and bitstream the audio to their receivers.

The future 205 will mostly be connected using the analog outs into a pre or power amp(s)

It also depends on how you want to connect the player to the rest of your system. I am guessing that most of the owners of the 203 will connect using HDMI and bitstream the audio to their receivers.

The future 205 will mostly be connected using the analog outs into a pre or power amp(s)

My AV receiver does not have 7.2 analog inputs so I would connect using HDMI (currently have an OPPO 93). What are the advantage/disadvantes of using HDMI over the analog outs?

My AV receiver does not have 7.2 analog inputs so I would connect using HDMI (currently have an OPPO 93). What are the advantage/disadvantes of using HDMI over the analog outs?
It is a matter of preference I guess. When you connect using analog, the player is decodes. When you connect using HDMI, the receiver decodes.

If this gives a difference in sounds depends on one's ears and setup.

I've seen quite a few YT reviews of the new OPPO, but none regarding the multichannel audio capabilities. Wondering if any QQ members have this unit and what you think of it from SACD, DVD-A playback perspective?

I'm curious if Oppo has finally made something truly capable of 100% gapless playback. The 103 claims to be gapless but even with a connected hard drive (i.e., not streaming over the network) I hear minor but annoying disturbances at track changes.

Since you can only connect a new OPPO 203 to your system via HDMI, the SACD/DVDA/BR multichannel performance will be depend solely on the performance of the decoder in your AVR. How the OPPO performs in an analog capacity (ie; via its internal decoders and analog circuitry) would be irrelevant to you.

Since you can only connect a new OPPO 203 to your system via HDMI, the SACD/DVDA/BR multichannel performance will be depend solely on the performance of the decoder in your AVR. How the OPPO performs in an analog capacity (ie; via its internal decoders and analog circuitry) would be irrelevant to you.

Correct. You'd want an Oppo 105 or 205 that has multichannel analog outputs to test the performance of the disc player's digital to analog converter.

Correct. You'd want an Oppo 105 or 205 that has multichannel analog outputs to test the performance of the disc player's digital to analog converter.

With Oppo if you employ the HDMI the AVR does all the work, if using analog, The Oppo will take over all the audio functions

With Oppo if you employ the HDMI the AVR does all the work, if using analog, The Oppo will take over all the audio functions

Yes. Listeners with AVRs doing the decoding will go for the 103 and 203.
If you want the Analog output from Oppo's decoding than the 105 and 205 are the way to go.

If you want the Analog output from Oppo's decoding than the 105 and 205 are the way to go.

The dacs in the analog section of those two are superior. Keep in mind, they are stereo only. In fact, they use balanced out ports.

Just keep in mind that the analogue sections of MOST AVRs are not optimum [including the Onkyo Integra pre/pros]. I've noticed that even the few TV Cable companies that do offer analogue outs on their receivers are VERY flimsy, at best. At one time I was 'suspicious' of HDMI but after experimenting with a variety of HDMI cables [NO, they're NOT all equal], I feel comfortable now with HDMI as my preferred digital output of choice.

QQers with SEPARATE pre/pros might find that there is a difference [read: UPTICK in quality] between HDMI and analogue but also keep in mind that quality RCA interconnects can be costly and as with HDMI cables, there IS a qualitative difference among RCA cables, as well.......and can be an added expense when considering 7.1 [8 RCA interconnects!] hook~ups.

Before considering analogue hook~ups if you do have an AVR, I would try to read Reviews of the analogue section of said component, hopefully, from reliable publications, before considering that route as the HDMI input may, in the end, sound better than the analogue alternative. JUST A SUGGESTION.

BTW, I DO own receivers and separate pre/pros and I can testify, firsthand, that there is a MAJOR qualitative difference between the two factions with separate pre/pros winning by a very comfortable margin.

Just keep in mind that the analogue sections of MOST AVRs are not optimum [including the Onkyo Integra pre/pros].

Optimum for *what*? Better measurements don't necessarily translate to an audible difference.

I've noticed that even the few TV Cable companies that do offer analogue outs on their receivers are VERY flimsy, at best. At one time I was 'suspicious' of HDMI but after experimenting with a variety of HDMI cables [NO, they're NOT all equal], I feel comfortable now with HDMI as my preferred digital output of choice.

Yet HDMI typically has comparatively high measured jitter. Amazing no?

Optimum for *what*? Better measurements don't necessarily translate to an audible difference.

Yet HDMI typically has comparatively high measured jitter. Amazing no?

Here we GO AGAIN, ssully. Over the years I have owned numerous receivers and some pretty quality pre/pros and if you can't hear the difference, I suggest you go to the ear doctor and get your hearing checked. Modern Receivers are in effect SWISS ARMY KNIVES. Everything is crammed into one chassis...pre/pro; amps; room correction, audio/video and yes, the kitchen sink. Isolation between analogue/digital IS a big issue and within the confines of a receiver there is precious little room for that.

If you want to denigrate the efficacy of separates.....GO RIGHT AHEAD....but since I have done the comparisons, I can effectively say that separates are better.....hands down.

And the HDMI JITTER that you cite might well be a thing of the past with today's better players and DACs. Do your homework....and get off your soapbox [and/or change detergents].

No I don't think so the SC had a new Force output stage that was multi-channel I had the 93 and I added a new Force analog stage what the number was originally inquiring was the stereo high-resolution output of these machines

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

these machines have a 2ch and 7.1 ch analog output. This all works with a DAC obviously. I am not sure what you mean with analog section. It is all analog, isnt it?

DAC refers to Digital > Analogue Conversion. When going analogue out that signal is maintained to the pre/pro all the way to the speakers unless you have a Meridian pre/pro which converts all incoming analogue signals to digital or you have digital amplifiers.

Back