New Magnetar Blu Ray player has analog outs. $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they raise the price? I swear I saw it listed at $2500 3 or 4 weeks ago at their U.S. store.
Now $3098 w/ All Region firmware upgrade(?) (must be ordered concurrently).

Sheit! Now I gotta find a third job. I'll be on this around Black Friday - Cyber Monday.
The MAGNETAR U.S. Store has a current list price of $2,999.00

https://www.magnetar-audio-us.store

I know that. But I swear I saw it for $2500 about a month(?) ago at this store.
Could be one of those casualties of INFLATION. As I said, USED OPPO 205s are going for ridiculous prices on ebay [one as incredulously HIGH as $9K recently] and at 34 pounds with two separate beefy power supplies, the UHD~900 is a BEHEMOTH.

If the price goes down and the reviews are favorable I might even buy one!

I know that. But I swear I saw it for $2500 about a month(?) ago at this store.

D'oh - and quoting the title of this thread "New Magnetar Blu Ray player has analog outs. $2500"

Yes. I remember the price being $2,500 too. It’s still overpriced. If I didn’t own a 205 or wanted another one for backup, I’d rather spend the money on it rather than the Magnetar.

Watch out! Here comes Captain Magnetar!! :rolleyes::sneaky:

What exactly does the old Oppo 205 have over this new UDP-900 w/warranty & firmware updates that holds people back?

I couldn't justify paying +$2K for a near vintage +5 year old "used" unsupported player.

If Oppo were still producing universal players today surely their starship model price would be in the same ballpark.

What exactly does the old Oppo 205 have over this new UDP-900 w/warranty & firmware updates that holds people back?
No-one has ever heard of Reavon or Magnetar, that's not a good start. Oppo built their reputation up over more than a decade. And Oppos are not completely unsupported, you can still get them serviced by Oppo at least in the US (not sure about elsewhere).

Well, all of mine just came in... :LB
1692573257068.png
:ROFLMAO:

While nobody has heard of Reavon or Magnetar, the first I heard of Oppo was in Dr. Mark Waldrep's book. I had just decided maybe I oughrt to look into getting one of those when the discontinuation announcement happened. And there is lots and lots of pretty good gear from newer companies.
Over at Audio Science Review Amir gets good results from Topping whom I also never heard of previously. And I never heard of Involve Audio till I came here.

Wonder what the 'firmware' update they're charging an extra $99 consists of ...... ALL firmware updates for the OPPOs including MQA for the 205 were downloaded FOR FREE via WiFi!
The upgrade makes it region free and adds network file playback.
Read the pinned post in the comments:

I'm still waffling. Someone convince me to buy this baby.

Last edited:
Plus both players cost way too much money (UDP800 @ $1,600.00 and UDP900 @ $3,000.00) not including the $99.00 firmware update option... Ridiculous!
A second hand Oppo 203 can be had in the UK for about half the price of the UDP800, I've recently bought two. And you can probably get a second hand Oppo 205 for the price of a UDP900. At these prices I'd go the second hand Oppo route.

I would keep looking for used Oppo's. Myself I'm very happy with the 103! I was watching another one on eBay, it even came with a rack mount shelf. The seller offered a discount, when I went to look again it had already sold! It went for only $220 and even had the remote! Practically giving it away!

I was thinking of getting another one as a spare. Does anyone really need the 4K video of the 203/204 series? Most of us only care about the audio.

Still I'm glad to see that a new player is available.

I was curious if this would have 12 analog outputs with that kind of price.
Looks like only 8 outputs for max 7.1. No Atmos decoding and analog output.

A Behringer/Midas UMC-1820 audio interface with 10 analog outputs (balanced or unbalanced) is $300.
A Panasonic bluray drive is around $80 (or $100 for a slot loader style for laptop).
Just some whatever computer from the last 10 years could be only $200.

If I knew a good deal for an audio interface with 12 analog outputs, I'd share! That UMC-1820 has an ADAT output and a 8x8 analog - ADAT - analog expansion box like the ADA-8200 is $200.

So you could have bluray input and 18 channels of analog output (balanced or unbalanced) for $800. A full computer for control and everything modular so any failures can be easily and affordable replaced. With much more robust analog outputs!

I don't mean to tell anyone what to do and I know computers scare some people away! But this is why I sure don't understand the appeal of stand alone hardware in this day and age. You have to watch out for computer gaslighting and software spoofing more than ever but at least you have control over that hardware. Anyway, have fun with that!

Latest posts

Back