David Bowie "Rock 'N' Roll Star" Box Set with Blu-Ray Audio out in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rock n Roll Star! traces Bowie's path to Ziggy Stardust. Starting with early home demos, through radio sessions and live performances to session recordings, outtakes and alternative versions from the recordings of the album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

Rock 'N' Roll Star!
contains 29 unreleased tracks, including early songwriting demos, recordings by David's band The Arnold Corns, rehearsals at Bowie's then home Haddon Hall, BBC sessions, singles, live performances as well as outtakes and alternative versions from the album's original recording sessions, the were remixed by original album producer Ken Scott.

Unreleased highlights include an alternate version of "Lady Stardust," an unheard version of the deep-cut classic "Shadow Man," and an up-tempo recording of The Who's "I Can't Explain," which he later slowed down and for the PIN-UPS album.

The audio-only Blu-Ray contains the definitive remaster of the original 2012 Ziggy Stardust album in 96kHz/24bit PCM stereo, the album and additional mixes from 2003 in Dts-hd Master Audio 5.1 as well as the singles, outtakes and alternative versions in 96kHz/24bit PCM stereo.

The Blu-Ray also includes a version of the Ziggy Stardust album called Waiting In the Sky (before the Starman Came To Earth), which is from Trident Studio tapes dated December 15, 1971 and contains an alternate order and four songs that make it didn't make it onto the final album. This will also be available as a limited vinyl LP on April 20, 2024 for Record Store Day. There's also a 1-LP version of Rock 'N' Roll Star! with the alternative recordings and mixes.

A bigger picture:
1711014154720.png

I'm not clear on the 5.1 that is on this title. It's identical to something that has already been released on physical media?

Going by the Amazon description it looks like you get the original Ziggy Stardust album 5.1. Presumably this is the same mix that was on the old SACD. The Amazon description also mentions 3 other tracks ("Velvet Goldmine", "The Supermen" and "Sweet Head") in 5.1. I don't recall those 3 tracks ever being released in 5.1, but I could be forgetting something.

Going by the Amazon description it looks like you get the original Ziggy Stardust album 5.1. Presumably this is the same mix that was on the old SACD. The Amazon description also mentions 3 other tracks ("Velvet Goldmine", "The Supermen" and "Sweet Head") in 5.1. I don't recall those 3 tracks ever being released in 5.1, but I could be forgetting something.
those bonus tracks were released in 5.1 on the DVD-V that came bundled with the 2012 40th anniversary LP reissue.

surprised there's no Atmos this time round tbh..

Probably going streaming only. Still better than The Beatles no physical product at all policy though...
I doubt it. Even money says they didn't want to spend the money to have someone do an Atmos mix. All the recent Bowie releases have been fancy coffee table books with minimal effort made on the audio side. If we get an "Atmos" mix on Apple Music, it will probably just be the 5.1 mix with some fakery for the rest of the channels.

I'm not clear on the 5.1 that is on this title. It's identical to something that has already been released on physical media?
I'm with you on this one -- it says the mixes are new, but actually no mention of the 5.1 in what I just saw from Burning Shed.

Holding off until clarified. . . .

[edit: list on Amazon.fr did say it was the old SACD 5.1 one. But blu ray? On the fence now! But would it be better than SACD? Sigh.]

Last edited:
All the recent Bowie releases have been fancy coffee table books with minimal effort made on the audio side. If we get an "Atmos" mix on Apple Music, it will probably just be the 5.1 mix with some fakery for the rest of the channels.
Are you taking into account the multiple immersive mixes on Tidal in 360?

Back