• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Re-birth of Ambisonics and Soundfield Microphones?

Bonzodog

300 Club - QQ All Star
Ambisonics and Soundfield Microphones were all over the Audio Engineering Society’s convention in New York last month.

Michael Abrash, chief scientist of Oculus VR kicked it off with his opening keynote speech.

Seems Ambisonics works well with the head tracking devices used for VR. And it works well for height info in Dolby Atmos and similar systems.

No equipment on the exhibit floor upstairs for Ambisonics, and no new Soundfield mics that I saw, but many of the technical sessions in the rooms downstairs mentioned how well Soundfield mics and Ambisonics were working for them on projects they had.

More mentions about this technology at the convention than I have heard in over 30 years.

We have a guy using one of our Soundfield Mark V’s on an Oculus project this weekend. First time we have used one of these mics in quite a few years.

Everything that’s old is new again.

fizzywiggs41

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Natalie Merchant's 2015 recording on the Nonesuch label is reported as being UHJ encoded.

album title: Paradise is there(The New Tigerlily Recordings).Don't look for any uhj/ambisonics indication in the album liner notes.I have the cd/dvd version and there is naught a blurb.

Info comes via two web sites; "Bubblesqueak.Co.UK" and "ProSoundWeb.com"

Jacques Boulanger & Holly Post of Creative Audio Post (NY ,Manhattan) did the mix in B format quad channel with the use of two TSL Soundfield mics-ST-450'S in March 2015. One mic placed in the balcony for audience sounds and one mic on stage to capture the String Orchestra.

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
WOW.!! :yikes

Thanks for the info, fizzy wizzy lets get busy! :D

"All" we need now with the vinyl revival is for an SQ/QS vinyl revival and they start re-pressing the old Quad gems on LP... hehe.. stranger things have happened :eek:

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Not exactly a re-birth, just an article on "Dummy Heads" from Wireless World in September 1974
1522619089292.png 1522619156997.png

stevendive

Natalie Merchant's 2015 recording on the Nonesuch label is reported as being UHJ encoded.

album title: Paradise is there(The New Tigerlily Recordings).Don't look for any uhj/ambisonics indication in the album liner notes.I have the cd/dvd version and there is naught a blurb.

Info comes via two web sites; "Bubblesqueak.Co.UK" and "ProSoundWeb.com"

Jacques Boulanger & Holly Post of Creative Audio Post (NY ,Manhattan) did the mix in B format quad channel with the use of two TSL Soundfield mics-ST-450'S in March 2015. One mic placed in the balcony for audience sounds and one mic on stage to capture the String Orchestra.
It seems the only way of knowing whether the album is fully 2 channel UHJ would be to try a UHJ decoder. I may get a copy to try out with mine. But some, few, recordings with UHJ as part of the mix are intended to be heard using standard stereo playback (eg. Tina Turner - Break Every Rule, where some of the backing sound was like this). Maybe the Natalie Merchant album is one of these. Using an ambi mike does not necessarily mean the released recording is in ambisonic format. Rather usefully, a B-Format recording can be laid down as 4.0 channel pre-decoded for horizontal playback, which would be B- Format to G-Format conversion, that can be used for playback without an ambisonic decoder. The original B-Format recording is still the 3D soundfield archive and could be used for a full sphere ambisonic release.

Ambisonics, especially so called Higher Order Ambisonics (HOA), is still being developed and used, as commented, in the VR world. It works very well for binaural using HRTF. There is a technically based mailing list hosted by Virginia Tech for anyone who may be interested, contributing or lurking are both acceptable:).

My own decoder can utilise horizontal B-Format material and I’m waiting for the day when full B-Format stuff becomes more widely available. Not holding my breath, yet. At least ambisonics decoders are still in production for home use.