Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now finished and I have a minor suggestion. You may want to not bother with the song number 1 called Setting UP. Lot's of talk and chatter. The real meat of the concert actually starts with song 2. (The First Rebreather)

Thanks, Gene :)

For those that use MakeMKV, and if your version has expired - I have a solution. :)

What is the trick, can you pm me? I am using an older version that does work but it would be nice to be able to use the newest version.

homer was faster than me! As he says, just use the beta serial key found in the forums on the official site.

I'm now finished and I have a minor suggestion. You may want to not bother with the song number 1 called Setting UP. Lot's of talk and chatter. The real meat of the concert actually starts with song 2. (The First Rebreather)

I'm guessing you didn't realize that there's a title on the Blu-Ray that has just the songs without the BTS bits in between?
That's the title to use for making surround sound audio files from this disc…

;)

I'm guessing you didn't realize that there's a title on the Blu-Ray that has just the songs without the BTS bits in between?
That's the title to use for making surround sound audio files from this disc…

;)

For sure I did not know that! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripping the audio from the Bluray of Big Big Train. I'm surprised to find that the DTS MA layer claims to only be 48/24. Guess I "assumed" all DTS MA would be 96/24 or something like that.

New Mumford and Sons Blu-ray (Live from South Africa) is 16-bit whether you choose the dts-MA or the Dolby Atmos with 7.1 TrueHD core.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/123491

Anyone having issues with LARGE file sizes and efficient metadata updates?

For example, the ripped size of Allman Bro's bluray "Fillmore East" is 26 GB, which includes 106 files across Stereo and MCH FLAC versions.

Using PerfectTUNES to update the album art across all files takes about 7 minutes. Similar times for updating other meta data.

Any solutions? Or maybe this is just a fact of life.....

Thanks,
Steve

For example, the ripped size of Allman Bro's bluray "Fillmore East" is 26 GB, which includes 106 files across Stereo and MCH FLAC versions.

Using PerfectTUNES to update the album art across all files takes about 7 minutes. Similar times for updating other meta data.

Thanks,
Steve

I think it is just a fact of life. In order to embed the metadata, the tagging program has to re-write each music file. If you are doing it on a local drive the process will generally be faster than if you did it over a network. Also, the inclusion of the metadata makes each file slightly larger. For these reasons it is best to do all the tagging prior to moving the files to a final location such as a NAS. The resolution plays a part in this as well. The Chicago Quadio titles took forever to tag because they were 24/192. I'm sure I have tagged albums half the size of Fillmore East where the time involved easily took 4-5 minutes.

I think it is just a fact of life. In order to embed the metadata, the tagging program has to re-write each music file. If you are doing it on a local drive the process will generally be faster than if you did it over a network. Also, the inclusion of the metadata makes each file slightly larger. For these reasons it is best to do all the tagging prior to moving the files to a final location such as a NAS. The resolution plays a part in this as well. The Chicago Quadio titles took forever to tag because they were 24/192. I'm sure I have tagged albums half the size of Fillmore East where the time involved easily took 4-5 minutes.

Thanks for confirming. It's the price we pay for hi-res, multi-channel files. Too bad tagging isn't something we can set-and-run overnight :(

I downsampled my Chicago Quadio files to 96kHz before I put them on my NAS. 192kHz is silly (from a signal processing perspective), and I cut the file size in half, as well as speeding up tagging and such.

I downsampled my Chicago Quadio files to 96kHz before I put them on my NAS. 192kHz is silly (from a signal processing perspective), and I cut the file size in half, as well as speeding up tagging and such.

Good idea! Many of the titles I just ripped are 48 Khz/24 bit. I agree with you, 192 KHz is crazy. Certainly dropping from 192 to 96 would result in absolutely no audible difference. I will probably make that change to my NAS-based copy of Quadio, per your suggestion.

Tagging with meta data times can be improved by using a faster hard drive. I've been using SATA SSDs for quite a while and are 3 or 4 times faster than conventional (spinning) hard discs.

Additionally using two drives will also improve speed (read from one, write to the other) - this is more significant when using conventional hard disc as the disc heads need to move to read and write to different positions.

I recently upgraded to a PCIE SSD and that is well over twice the speed of SATA again. It will copy a large file from one folder to another at up to 2000MB/s. Normal SSDs are around 400 and conventional hard drives at around 150MB/s.

If you are just starting out ripping a large collection upgrading to a couple of SSDs is highly recommended.

BTW: All the SSDs come with free disc cloning software so you can easily replace your operating system drive (c: drive) without losing any data or program - every program runs as before.

Thanks,
Steve

Sbrom - Are you using MakeMKV??? The blurays or DVDs, yes are large, but you can pick and choose the format you want

the 26 gigs might include the HD MA DTS, Regular DTS, Dolby and more versions of the 5.1 also the LPCM Stereo

You can choose just to rip the best versions on it available rather than ripping the entire Bluray

Snood usually will just rip the best version of the 5.1 and/or stereo rather than the whole kit and kaboodle

Maybe Snood is missing what you are saying

Sbrom - Are you using MakeMKV??? The blurays or DVDs, yes are large, but you can pick and choose the format you want

the 26 gigs might include the HD MA DTS, Regular DTS, Dolby and more versions of the 5.1 also the LPCM Stereo

You can choose just to rip the best versions on it available rather than ripping the entire Bluray

Snood usually will just rip the best version of the 5.1 and/or stereo rather than the whole kit and kaboodle

Maybe Snood is missing what you are saying

Thanks Snood.

I use a combination of MakeMKV, DVD Audio Extractor, and AudioMuxer. Specific process depends on the disc type and content formats. For DVD-A's it's usually DVD Audio Extractor. For Bluray discs it's MakeMKV followed by AudioMuxer. There are some bluray discs (example Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blank Planet") that can be handled by DVD Audio Extractor once a backup is made via MakeMKV.

Specifically for the Allman Brothers Fillmore East Bluray (3 discs):

• 37 tracks available in Stereo (96/24 raw PCM) and 5.1 channel (96/24 DTS-MA and TrueHD 5.1).
  • All 37 tracks were ripped to FLAC. As a source I used the PCM for stereo, and the DTS-MA for 5.1.
  • In total this results in 74 FLAC files. Total cumulative size = 26 GB. This is by far the largest of any of my rips.

As others indicate above, it takes a LONG TIME to update the embedded tags in that many large files.

In total my meager set of 70 DVD-A's and Bluray's comes to about 300 GB. All ripped in both Stereo and MCH where available.

I may decide to separate or eliminate the Stereo since I listen to mostly MCH. Or as HomerJAU suggested, move the resulting files to SSD.

Thanks Snood.

I use a combination of MakeMKV, DVD Audio Extractor, and AudioMuxer. Specific process depends on the disc type and content formats. For DVD-A's it's usually DVD Audio Extractor. For Bluray discs it's MakeMKV followed by AudioMuxer. There are some bluray discs (example Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blank Planet") that can be handled by DVD Audio Extractor once a backup is made via MakeMKV.

Specifically for the Allman Brothers Fillmore East Bluray (3 discs):

• 37 tracks available in Stereo (96/24 raw PCM) and 5.1 channel (96/24 DTS-MA and TrueHD 5.1).
  • All 37 tracks were ripped to FLAC. As a source I used the PCM for stereo, and the DTS-MA for 5.1.
  • In total this results in 74 FLAC files. Total cumulative size = 26 GB. This is by far the largest of any of my rips.

As others indicate above, it takes a LONG TIME to update the embedded tags in that many large files.

In total my meager set of 70 DVD-A's and Bluray's comes to about 300 GB. All ripped in both Stereo and MCH where available.

I may decide to separate or eliminate the Stereo since I listen to mostly MCH. Or as HomerJAU suggested, move the resulting files to SSD.

Snood uses same exact software except Me use a free tagging program called Tagscanner - once you learn it its very easy very fast. One of the few programs me donated to besides Specweb and a few more.

300 gigs is not much really if you have an external harddrive.... 1 TB- 2TB & 3 TB externals are very cheap and well worth the extra backup. :cool: if ya do not have one, think about getting one. :banana:

I Just downloaded MakeMKV, AudioMuxer and TagScanner and have been ripping up a storm. I've started on the Chicago box set. Although I'll take my surround in any format, I have to say that I love Blu-ray. I don't have the equipment to rip SACD's, and Blu-ray's are easier than I would of thought. I agree that that 192 KHz is overkill and also convert to 96KHz 24Bit files.

I Just downloaded MakeMKV, AudioMuxer and TagScanner and have been ripping up a storm. I've started on the Chicago box set. Although I'll take my surround in any format, I have to say that I love Blu-ray. I don't have the equipment to rip SACD's, and Blu-ray's are easier than I would of thought. I agree that that 192 KHz is overkill and also convert to 96KHz 24Bit files.

Welcome to the world of lossless, multichannel digital media! You'll also want DVD Audio Extractor for your DVDAs.

It is such a time-suck, but worth it. I've been ripping since December 1st, starting with all my hi-res multichannel music, followed by my DVD & blu ray movies, and then my CDs. I've got about 500 CDs to go!

Back