Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me....
well I like Guess Who #10...always liked that Quadradisc and slightly better cover with that black border quad indicated giving that dayglow green with black a bit of a standout notice.
hoping more Guess Who comes out of course. G W VOL 2 Best.... would be nice. Pair it with Share The Land,. or Rockin' .

:》

Your Wish for "David Essex-Rock On" surely is on the DV Radar , Adam.

And Those are must haves as well with the two from Rick Derringer.

oh.. Fizzy.. now you're pushing my receptors to their limit..!! o_O

GW GH Vol 2 would be fab (worth it for the different mix on the edit of Glamour Boy iirc!?).. and Rock On.. by DV.. in Quad.. now you're talking 'bout the stuff dreams are made of!! :SB

Thanks for the reviews, Adam and Oxenholme! :)

I'm still able to get new Classical MC SACDs, but ambient sound only gets you so far. ;) Sometimes ya gotta have the full immersive experience. :51QQ

Really looking forward to some groovy Quad to rock out to. Thank the stars for Dutton Vocalion :love::love:

Brett, I'm with you on the Mch classical releases. There are SO many new ones I'm tempted to buy but ambience in the rears IS getting a bit old especially after hearing D~V's classic RCA/Columbia discrete Quads from the 70's, which, IMO were very tastefully executed.

Com'on BIS, Chandos, ALBA, Pentatone..........let's shake things up and be creative and utilize those rears for some tastefully discrete surround. We're NOT, repeat NOT sitting in a concert hall....we're in our homes staring at our speakers so give us something more than [Ho Hum] ambience to crow about.

And I REALLY wish D~V could license Decca's Phase IV QUAD masters for Bernard Herrmann's sensational "Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann" because, as duplicated by HDTT from Doby b encoded OpenReel on 96/24 BD~A.......It's absolutely, positively a sensational discrete tour de force. Adam [fredblue] would definitely APPROVE as would THAT farm boy from Indiana [Hee Haw]!

Last edited:
And I REALLY wish D~V could license Decca's Phase IV QUAD masters for Bernard Herrmann's sensational "Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann" because, as duplicated by HDTT from Doby b encoded OpenReel on 96/24 BD~A.......It's absolutely, positively a sensational discrete tour de force. Adam [fredblue] would definitely APPROVE as would THAT farm boy from Indiana [Hee Haw]!

Bernard Herrmann and The NDO (Northern Dance Orchestra)? I remember listening to them on The BBC Light Programme on the wireless. It would be pretty sensational in quad.

Brett, I'm with you on the Mch classical releases. There are SO many new ones I'm tempted to buy but ambience in the rears IS getting a bit old especially after hearing D~V's classic RCA/Columbia discrete Quads from the 70's, which, IMO were very tastefully executed.

Com'on BIS, Chandos, ALBA, Pentatone..........let's shake things up and be creative and utilize those rears for some tastefully discrete surround. We're NOT, repeat NOT sitting in a concert hall....we're in our homes staring at our speakers so give us something more than [Ho Hum] ambience to crow about.

It's amazing how controversial actively discrete surround is for so many classical listeners, isn't it!!?? Sometimes I wonder why they don't just stick with a good, high end 2-ch stereo system. I mean... there isn't THAT big of a difference, other than the center channel being skillful used to pick up the voices in a large choral work or opera perhaps. And that of course all depends on having a recording engineer who ACTUALLY understand how to do that properly.

But to be completely honest... Classical isn't the only music with weak surround mixes. Jazz is really hurting! And... There are plenty of Pop and Rock SACDs and DVD-As whose surround mix is lame! Yesterday I was listening to T-Rex "Electric Warrior" and came away feeling that was basically an ambient surround mix. It could have been so much more. I read they wanted to keep the essence of the 2-ch stereo version. But, if that's what they wanted, why bother at all!!? Just go and listen to the 2-ch version. I also gave Blood, Sweat & Tears "Child is Father to the Man" a spin yesterday. WOW!!! The difference between the 2 surround mixes is night and day!!! How hard is it for people in the surround music industry to figure this out!!

I'm definitely with you, Ralphie.

Give them surround channels some music to play!!! :51QQ

Last edited:
My DV's arrived yesterday from magical Watford too, although annoyingly I haven't been able to listen/rip yet. Grrrr

Amazing value and the postage is pretty reasonable too, here in UK... I always double up so it's not so much of a hit... 20% of that £11.99 is VAT as well!!

Interesting on the costs for the second hand quad market, strewth! I've just ventured into Vinyl with my first! Got the Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac boxset for £46.99. Pretty high for just a DD 5.1 although I knew that and am quite happy - really like the packaging... On the flip side I got the David Gilmore 'Rattle That Lock' boxset for £9! Sent by next day courier from Amazon. So I guess along with the DV's - there are bargains to be had!

I just had a thought.... what if D-V continues on this Guess Who two-fer?? I mean, if they want to re-release Best of #1, that's fine but if they dont; make the next pair:

Best of #2 teamed with Rockin'
Share the Land teamed with American Woman
Canned Wheat teamed with Wheatfield Soul

And I suppose if they really wanted to, just to be completeists; Flavours with Power in the Music.

I don't know if there's any point doing Artificial Paradise as that one is a bit of an echo-y mess. However, I traded some correspondence years ago with Jack Richardson and he claimed in his letters that So Long, Bannatyne & Live at the Paramount were indeed mixed to Quad. I can't find the letters to save my life, but I seem to recall him writing that RCA dropped them due to not being able to fit them on one cartridge each or something like that. They were a few minutes too long over RCA's time limit for tape.

If those two were actually done, would that not be the score of the century? Paramount is a great album unto itself, but Bannatyne has some great tunes, too!
If as you say Bannatyne and Paramount are indeed mixed in quad....then it would be super of DV to pair them up and release them.
Never Before Released in quads----Are big sellers I would guess---and for certain I'd love to get em both !!!

PS Great pairings you have, btw.

So if RCA quads are in the mix, are the Jefferson Starship quads a possibility? I won’t even be so greedy as to ask for a “Red Octopus/Spitfire” two-fer. (Probably too long anyway?) I’ll gladly buy them separately as I did with the Art Garfunkels!

As would The Worst of the Jefferson Airplane and Volunteers! And Jefferson Starship's "Dragon Fly."

The mind boggles with these last couple releases. They're definitely moving in a more "Pop/Rock" oriented direction and I'm loving it!

Some great suggestions just on this page alone!
It's a shame the ABC Quads are probably not available because I'd say (if the Croce's are not in the cards) how about go for more soul with the three Four Tops titles?
Santana's Abraxas (or, better still, Greatest Hits)
Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm & Rated eXtraordinaire! (we never got "Eargasm" in discrete and that's the one with "Disco Lady"! )
David Essex - Rock On
Johnny Winter? (lots to choose from including unreleased)

Dare I ask once again for an unreleased and suggest Sly & The Family Stones' "There's a Riot Going On" ? I'm not sure if that one has ever been released on CD, let alone remastered to SACD with it's announced, yet never released Quadraphonic counterpart!

The fact they have chosen such oddball titles across various genres and labels makes me hopeful for some more really great stuff...

If they want to follow up the RTF with more quad fusion titles there are some great options:
Mahavishnu Orch- Between Nothingness & Eternity Live
Weather Report- Tale Spinnin'
Herbie Hancock- Sextant, Secrets

Some other ideas off the top of my head...I tried to pick sort of weird or lesser known stuff that seems possible based on past releases. Some of these have also been suggested by other members. I apologize in advance for getting a little ahead of myself, but I bet there's at least one thing on this list people would buy:

The Guess Who- Road Food, #10, and Best Of Vol. II
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City two-fer
Chase- S/T & Pure Music two-fer
Dave Mason- S/T & It's Like You Never Left two-fer
David Essex- Rock On
Poco- Seven & Cantamos two-fer
Rick Derringer- All American Boy & Spring Fever two-fer
Later Santana titles not done by MoFi- Welcome, Borboletta, Amigos, etc (Though we'd probably end up seeing Love Devotion Surrender or the one with Buddy Miles first)
War- The World Is A Ghetto & Deliver The Word twofer
Anything on Philly Int'l- MFSB, O'Jays, Isleys, etc
Anything on Project 3...but if I had to choose one then Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars
More CTI- Airto's Fingers, Benson's Body Talk, Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, etc
Jefferson Airplane/Starship- The Worst Of, Spitfire, Red Octopus, etc
Hot Tuna- America's Choice, Burgers, Yellow Fever
Spinners- S/T, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter
Jazz Piano Quartet- Let It Happen

I'm just grateful for what we've gotten thus far...The PPL & RTF discs are my two favorites but they are all really good. Thank you DV!

They crossed two off this old list I posted months ago...here's hoping for the rest!

They crossed two off this old list I posted months ago...here's hoping for the rest!
The good thing is - at least the way I see it, they must have a few titles up their sleeves... You can almost join the dots... That’s a great list sjcone. 2 down - Hopefully many more to come... C’mon... Eric Carmen gotta be a contender too?!?!

The good thing is - at least the way I see it, they must have a few titles up their sleeves... You can almost join the dots... That’s a great list sjcorne. 2 down - Hopefully many more to come... C’mon... Eric Carmen gotta be a contender too?!?!

The mind boggles with these last couple releases. They're definitely moving in a more "Pop/Rock" oriented direction and I'm loving it!

Some great suggestions just on this page alone!
It's a shame the ABC Quads are probably not available because I'd say (if the Croce's are not in the cards) how about go for more soul with the three Four Tops titles?
Santana's Abraxas (or, better still, Greatest Hits)
Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm & Rated eXtraordinaire! (we never got "Eargasm" in discrete and that's the one with "Disco Lady"! )
David Essex - Rock On
Johnny Winter? (lots to choose from including unreleased)

Dare I ask once again for an unreleased and suggest Sly & The Family Stones' "There's a Riot Going On" ? I'm not sure if that one has ever been released on CD, let alone remastered to SACD with it's announced, yet never released Quadraphonic counterpart!

In answer to your last question: ORG Music did release a great sounding remastered STEREO SACD of Sly's RIOT a few years ago and it's still available: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=8834#tracks

Here's a GREAT price: https://www.musicdirect.com/optical-disc/sly-and-the-family-stone-theres-a-riot-goin-on-hybrid-sacd

Last edited:
Back