Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great suggestions! 👍

DV could do an MFSB 2-fer, there's 2 fabulous Quads of theirs! (the other is "Philadelphia Freedom"..! i love, love, love it.. yes i do!)

there's a load of Winter family Quads (maybe we'll get them in the Winter rather than over the Summer! or possibly in "Autumn", as the song goes.. ho ho ho!), including 2 x previously unreleased Quads that we know exist, afaik there's;

1.) EW's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix,
2.) EWG TOCOAN,
3.) EWG Shock Treatment,
4.) EWG with Rick Derringer,
5.) Johnny Winter S/T,
6.) JW Still Alive & Well,
7.) JW Saints & Sinners,
8.) JW John Dawson Winter III..

just the thoughts getting me licking me lips! yummy!
Shock Treatment as well as Saints and Sinners are two of my boyhood favorites. Both follow ups to their artistic and commercial peaks. So these would be great ones to get us warmed up for the biggies - that is if two-fers and not in the cards.

These Winter family titles are standing out like sore thumbs in the quadraphonic gallery of potential releases.

I just got my order in yesterday for the Guess Who, Derringer, and Hues Corp. I was very busy with work and things, and not short of cash for a change. But you know what, I really was most interested in the GW and Derringer, but I ordered the Hues SACD as well to support the cause. Any rock or pop titles that they do with quad layers, and I'm buying them. These are the lost sea scrolls of 70s hi-fi, and we just have to help any way we can.

Isn't the quad revival just wonderful on an SACD format!!!!

EXCELLENT choices, Brian and for 'nostalgia' purposes how about Streisand's THE WAY WE WERE and STONEY END?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6D51171F22A67243C0316D51171F22A6&&FORM=VDRVRV

Could be.
Sony Music continues to license albums for Surround SACD release.

And while the Frank Sinatra catalog was licensed for reissue on Gold CD (Audio Fidelity) and Stereo and Mono SACD (Mobile Fidelity), don't recall any reissues of the Streisand catalog on SACD so far.
Streisand's "The Movie Album" remains the lone Surround SACD released to date.

It sure is. Would have preferred blu-ray but still great - SACD does have the CD layer as a bonus too.
I would have preferred DVD-A. Music servers streamers and other players handle pcm so much easier than DSD.

But SACD does have that compatibility built into it. And it sounds good. The labels are comfortable with licensing for it. So other than all of the hardware manufacturers bailing on it, it's a winner!!!

I would have preferred DVD-A. Music servers streamers and other players handle pcm so much easier than DSD.

But SACD does have that compatibility built into it. And it sounds good. The labels are comfortable with licensing for it. So other than all of the hardware manufacturers bailing on it, it's a winner!!!
Yes. DVD-A would be good too. But I appreciate getting these recordings in any format.

Along with Sony Japan and Analogue Productions (for Surround Sound SACDs) and NativeDSD (for Surround Sound DSD Downloads)

SONY Japan? After canceling S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water and releasing for the 4th time on SACD, Carole King's Tapestry in special 7" packaging, SONY Japan has been disappointingly silent in either announcing or releasing any QUAD/5.1 SACDs.

Analogue Productions continues to release Stereo SACDs [slowly as molasses] and the last Surround SACD they did release was BS&T's Bloodlines which included already released [by AF] Child and BS&T II...unless you include the 'occasional' three channel Classical/Jazz SACD....and/or the double stereo Beach Boy releases.

D~V is our only hope....and we're talking physical disc releases.....except, of course, the occasional 5.1 releases from the majors [which are MOST welcomed].

And thankfully, the Classical Labels [BIS, Chandos, Dutton~Epoch, Reference Recordings, Pentatone, 2L, Alba, Challenge and Sono Luminus to name a few] continue to release [mostly] ambient only 5.0 SACDs with 2L, Tacet and Sonos Luminus being a little more adventurous with their discrete use of surrounds......and at prices [sorry, Brian] cheaper* than MOST downloads and they do include glossy booklets, as well! And Sono Luminus and 2L are releasing Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D mixes, as well on BD~A!

Yes, Brian, physical discs may be tettering on life supporto_Obut they're still getting some healthy transfusions from caring donors.:)

*IF you shop the sales

Last edited:
1.) EW's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix,
2.) EWG TOCOAN,
3.) EWG Shock Treatment,
4.) EWG with Rick Derringer,
5.) Johnny Winter S/T,
6.) JW Still Alive & Well,
7.) JW Saints & Sinners,
8.) JW John Dawson Winter III..

While I have never heard any of these quad mixes, and never listened to any of them (except #2) even in stereo till recently, were I in charge of rereleases every one of these would be among my first picks. All from the "golden age" of 70's blues rock, they've all stood the test of time and gained a wider acceptance than they enjoyed at the time. As a kid I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to a one of them, but only because my radio station never played a single track. I only ever heard of either Winter because of the #1 Frankenstein and its Top-20 follow-up Free Ride.

Just thinking about eight quad masters with that kind of content rotting in a vault somewhere is infuriating.
From the label point of view, it's leaving money on the table, however small.
It's stupid.

Could be.
Sony Music continues to license albums for Surround SACD release.

And while the Frank Sinatra catalog was licensed for reissue on Gold CD (Audio Fidelity) and Stereo and Mono SACD (Mobile Fidelity), don't recall any reissues of the Streisand catalog on SACD so far.
Streisand's "The Movie Album" remains the lone Surround SACD released to date.

it probably cost Sony a small fortune to remix that Movie Album in surround (badly, i might add, the MCh is crap) when they had eight Babs Quad mixes in the bag, they could've utilised the old Quads all along, no onerous costly remixing process necessary. oy! 😝

it probably cost Sony a small fortune to remix that Movie Album in surround (badly, i might add, the MCh is crap) when they had eight Babs Quad mixes in the bag, they could've utilised the old Quads all along, no onerous costly remixing process necessary. oy! 😝

I totally agree, Adam. Babs gets No respect from SONY. The Movie Album, while pleasant enough with non~existent surround, was hardly her most memorable. Besides her 8 QUAD albums, would love to hear her first 8~10 albums as Stereo SACDs. They were, IMO, brilliant Classics with exquisite Peter Matz arrangements and her 1966 French album, Je M'Appelle Barbra, arranged and conducted by Michel Legrand is PURE GENIUS as well as her BROADWAY ALBUM.

D~V......GIVE US BABS. SHE'S A LEGEND!

And her brilliant Sondheim tribute from THE BROADWAY ALBUM:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...007A6581B212BE3A10B1007A6581B212&&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited:
EW's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix,

If they were to release this one, I wonder if we'd see a situation similar to the AF release of the Laura Nyro album where the mix doesn't match either Robin Reel version.

I'm with Adam: bring on all the Winter stuff! Have heard every mix except for EWG with Derrigner and they're all killer.

Last edited:
If they were to release this one, I wonder if we'd see a situation similar to the AF release of the Laura Nyro album where the mix doesn't match either Robin Reel version.

I'm with Adam: bring on all the Winter stuff! Have heard every mix except for EWF with Derrigner and they're all killer.

EWF!? :eek:

Earth Wind & Fire with Rick Derringer! o_O
what a funky combination! :SB

(ps. pm anytime for more info on the EWG w/RD mix, if you so desire! :phones;) )

Don't know if it's been suggested before, but Music Is My Life by Billy Preston would be a great one to do. If there's also a quad of I Wrote A Simple Song, they could do a two-fer like the BGO edition and the way the Derringer one was done by them as well...

great suggestion!
for any Quaddies who aren't fans of the mixing style, its one of those bass in rear left/drums in rear right type mixes (not credited anywhere but based on other similar mixes, presumed the work of engineer Dick Bogert).

I think its just the one Billy Preston Quad that saw release back in the day?

unfortunately, the A&M Quad masters are said to be missing from the vault, presumed lost for good.

as the "Music Is My Life" Quad was only ever released on Q8, the best we could hope for now would be, I would guess, a really nice transfer using a modified Fostex or some similar piece of pimped out equipment of a pristine Q8 tape.

meantime, if anyone might like to hear a half-assed transfer of a knackered tape, I may be able to help out :ROFLMAO:

"will it go round in circles..."

yes, it (the Quad) does indeed go round in circles! ..and a-round and a-round and a-round..! ;)

Thanks, FB - after I posted that, I started to remember something that was posted before regarding A&M. That's a cryin' shame about those masters; I'd be willing to accept a good transfer if they could ever get that done. What I'd wish for even more is to hear Outta Space from the other album...

anytime matey, it is sad about the A&M Quads, if the masters are indeed gone forever such a shame, who knows they may be in a vault somewhere, just that Universal is such a gigantic entity with stuff from all sorts of labels, who knows their true status.. the A&M's are an interesting mixed bag of Quad mix approaches.. you've got the early release duffers presumed fake mixes (quite a few! incl Joe Cocker, Humble Pie), the tame mixes (earlier Carpenters, Cat Stevens) and the fab ones (Joan Baez Diamonds & Rust, Captain & Tennille, Billy Preston, the Rick Wakeman's, the later Carpenters, the Quincy Jones's).. ah, I think I might give Quincy's Body Heat an airing later when I get a moment, fab mix! :LB

As good as those albums are, I would kill for the quad of Truck Turner. Now that's a great album!

my 1st set of SQ LPs of Truck Turner didn't decode very well, plus the discs were in fairly rough shape, hoping the 2nd set I picked up more recently will turn out better when i get round to decoding them.. its a really rare Quad release so i feel very lucky to have found not one but two sets to try and extract the surround from! wish me luck! :LOL:

Back