Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the Procol Harum: Live album actually exist on CD-4? I've NEVER heard that until reading this thread. Can we start a discussion about it (with pictures) in another thread perhaps? But anyway, yes that album was recorded on 16-track equipment.

Since I got my Johnnie Taylor, I'm just thrilled over that one.

I would love to see up next:

David Essex - Rock On (even as a single disc, I'd be perfectly happy)
Redbone - Message & Beaded Dreams
Poco - Deliverin` & Crazy Eyes
Raiders - Indian Reservation (I`d be cool with this as a single disc, too. OR dig through the vaults to see if Country Wine was actually done and go for a two-fer)
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue *and* Wake up, Everybody (which was SQ-only and we KNOW the tapes exist!)
Charlie McCoy - Nashville Hit Man & Fastest Harp in the South
Dolly Parton - Bubblin`Over & Real Live Dolly
Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, On`ry & Mean

Just for the hell of it, could the two Ray Stevens be dug up?

Did the Procol Harum: Live album actually exist on CD-4? I've NEVER heard that until reading this thread. Can we start a discussion about it (with pictures) in another thread perhaps? But anyway, yes that album was recorded on 16-track equipment.

Since I got my Johnnie Taylor, I'm just thrilled over that one.

I would love to see up next:

Raiders - Indian Reservation (I`d be cool with this as a single disc, too. OR dig through the vaults to see if Country Wine was actually done and go for a two-fer)
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue *and* Wake up, Everybody (which was SQ-only and we KNOW the tapes exist!)
Charlie McCoy - Nashville Hit Man & Fastest Harp in the South
Dolly Parton - Bubblin`Over & Real Live Dolly
Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, On`ry & Mean

Just for the hell of it, could the two Ray Stevens be dug up?

Regarding your query into Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.......you're probably 100% correct. I checked all the usual places [Quad discography, discogs, etc.] and apparently it was NEVER released on CD~4 [and yet I swore I had it......memory surely plays tricks]. Even a google search brought up NO evidence of a CD~4 release.

If, by chance, those 16 track multis still exist, would love for it to be remixed into QUAD or 5.1. Amazing, there's NO Procol Harum in surround except for a few LIVE DVDs with DTS 5.1. https://www.amazon.com/Procol-Harum...8&qid=1530752887&sr=1-1&keywords=procol+harum

Last edited:
Snood probably already posted this , but Snood Rum N Cokes sometimes get in the way :hi

Eric Carmen - Eric Carmen :SB

The All By My Self and Never Gonna fall in Love Again are roadkill by now - still like them but the rest of the album is stellar. :rocks:QQlove

Snood probably already posted this , but Snood Rum N Cokes sometimes get in the way :hi

The All By My Self and Never Gonna fall in Love Again are roadkill by now - still like them but the rest of the album is stellar. :rocks:QQlove

SNOOD should always get what he wants because, HEY, He's SNOOD! :SB:LB:hi:SG:dance:QQlove:51QQ

Last edited:

its not a bad Quad mix, its just not as discrete-o-matic great as it would've been in the hands of one of CBS' engineers. still, I just love the album, for its sheer variety alone.. it's far from a boring listen! it goes from chirpy chipper upbeat opener (Sunrise) to cool n rocky (Thats Rock n Roll) to wistful (Never Gonna Fall In Love Again) to outright slash your wrists downer (All By Myself) all in a single side! :LOL:

I think DTS did a great job with Crazy Eyes years ago...I'd rather see more quad mixes that haven't yet seen digital release get out. I've also always assumed Deliverin' is one of those live quad duds based on the SQ (never heard the Q8). I would absolutely love the other 3 though!

A few others from Columbia/Sony that I'd really like to see:
Chase- Chase & Pure Music
Dave Mason- Dave Mason & It's Like You Never Left
Blood Sweat & Tears- Mirror Image & New City

I think DTS did a great job with Crazy Eyes years ago...I'd rather see more quad mixes that haven't yet seen digital release get out. I've also always assumed Deliverin' is one of those live quad duds based on the SQ (never heard the Q8). I would absolutely love the other 3 though!

A few others from Columbia/Sony that I'd really like to see:
Chase- Chase & Pure Music
Dave Mason- Dave Mason & It's Like You Never Left
Blood Sweat & Tears- Mirror Image & New City

While I agree with ALL your other QUAD choices, I think Poco's Crazy Eyes could use a hi res SACD upgrade. Quite a few of the DTS entertainment discs were replicated via DAT QUAD masters [16/44.1] and on MY system, whereas a few DTS discs do sound like DVD~Audios [I am exaggerating a bit] Crazy Eyes not so much.

Last edited:
[Eric Carmen is] not a bad Quad mix, its just not as discrete-o-matic great as it would've been in the hands of one of CBS' engineers. still, I just love the album, for its sheer variety alone.

Great album, but the quad mix isn't very good.

I actually heard the quad mix first, and fell in love with many tracks aside from the two big hits.
(Sunrise actually cracked the Top 40 also, but I never once heard it on radio.)
It wasn't until I heard the stereo mix many years later that I realized how subpar the quad mix is.
Sunrise is missing the sleigh bells, while album highlight On Broadway is completely dominated by piano.

As for the actual surround placement, again we're talking "Arista Eh ... " -- nothing very discrete, vocal X 4, strings kinda in the rears but not totally, piano in all four but maybe more dominant in front. At least one track, Great Expectations, is virtual double stereo. I can almost hear some label suit warning the engineer: "Now don't go crazy or anything! This has to play in Dubuque. Just ... gentle separation, please ... " It was the kind of mix that sounded good when I was just thrilled to have anything technically in quad. That is, before I discovered the wonderful world of derived surround (what we'd now call Dolby PL or Tate Surround). Truthfully, that latter is far superior to all of these "Eh" mixes ... and even many of the more discrete ones.

Last edited:
Update:

I listened to most of my Eric Carmen CD-4 conversion last night. While I'm not quite ready to eat my words, I feel I did overstate things.

While technically correct in saying the lead vocal appears in all four channels, it is very predominantly up front, as is the piano. Though both are also present in the rears, it's faint and with reverb. Call it "ghosting."

Now here's where it gets interesting. The strings and background vocals do appear in all channels, but ... not in double stereo. They both appear to be in true quad, and quite effectively. But are they really? There's half an orchestra playing on the last two side one cuts, and it does sound like the engineer may have put separate strings in each channel. But it may simply be a delayed/EQ'd copy of the front pair in the rears. I'd need to listen with headphones to be sure (fronts in one ear, rears in the other). Whichever it is works well, both for the strings and the vocals. In fact, I think it was the best option. I've gotten used to rear-only backing vocals as SOP, but when those singers create a chorus with a big sound, it's probably more effective to use all four channels as done here. You need a lot of vocal tracks on the original tape to pull it off, but my understanding is that after 24-track became standard in 1975, this was the norm. It was not unusual to use half the tracks for vocals.

So while I wasn't technically wrong I think the mix is actually quite a bit more effective than I previously claimed. Still missing instruments and suffering from CD-4's limited fidelity. But the pressing is fine, and the mix is nice.

I'll have to try an A/B with the stereo mix through DPLII to really hear if it holds up.

fwiw, the Q8 tape I have of Eric Carmen is pretty good and doesn't sound half bad at all.

there is one brief speed wobble near the start of the tape that is apparent in the intro to Sunrise (and whatever corresponds to that same place on Track 2) which I don't think is a replication problem because it occurs on a couple of other tapes I got from the same seller (something to do with either the way he repaired the splices on his tapes or something up with his player maybe?).

anyway, i digress, even though my Eric Carmen CD-4 is in really nice condition and plays and demodulates well, I turn to my transfer of the Q8 when I want to hear this one, as you get the actual Quad mix exactly as intended without any potential CD-4 side-effects (or however you want to describe the foibles of the system) and really I don't think its a bad Quad mix at all, along with The Brecker Brothers and The Outlaws its one of the more worthwhile Arista Quads imho., most of them aren't much cop but a few are pretty good. I think one of the Melissa Manchester's wasn't bad either but its been a while since I fiddled about with some of this stuff so I could be wrong there, in other words "don't quote me
on that!"

fwiw, the Q8 tape I have of Eric Carmen is pretty good and doesn't sound half bad at all.

there is one brief speed wobble near the start of the tape that is apparent in the intro to Sunrise (and whatever corresponds to that same place on Track 2) which I don't think is a replication problem because it occurs on a couple of other tapes I got from the same seller (something to do with either the way he repaired the splices on his tapes or something up with his player maybe?).

anyway, i digress, even though my Eric Carmen CD-4 is in really nice condition and plays and demodulates well, I turn to my transfer of the Q8 when I want to hear this one, as you get the actual Quad mix exactly as intended without any potential CD-4 side-effects (or however you want to describe the foibles of the system) and really I don't think its a bad Quad mix at all, along with The Brecker Brothers and The Outlaws its one of the more worthwhile Arista Quads imho., most of them aren't much cop but a few are pretty good. I think one of the Melissa Manchester's wasn't bad either but its been a while since I fiddled about with some of this stuff so I could be wrong there, in other words "don't quote me
on that!"

I say bring them ALL on, Adam: Eric, Melissa, the Outlaws, the Brecker Brothers and Barry!

To Pick or choose would be to lose!:eek: an ancient buckley proverb pre~dating Stonehenge!https://wallpapercave.com/wp/7SyLEOS.jpg

Last edited:

?

I don't believe it was ever released in quad , but it should have been.
One of our QQ members posted a pic of their concert advertisement and the performance was presented live in quad for the audience in attendance .

Regarding your query into Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.......you're probably 100% correct. I checked all the usual places [Quad discography, discogs, etc.] and apparently it was NEVER released on CD~4 [and yet I swore I had it......memory surely plays tricks]. Even a google search brought up NO evidence of a CD~4 release.

If, by chance, those 16 track multis still exist, would love for it to be remixed into QUAD or 5.1. Amazing, there's NO Procol Harum in surround except for a few LIVE DVDs with DTS 5.1. https://www.amazon.com/Procol-Harum...8&qid=1530752887&sr=1-1&keywords=procol+harum

FWIW ,There is a cd that is Quad (SQ )of their "Live At The BBC " from the early 70's .

Sounds pretty good too.

And here's a pic of that Procol Harum quad cd .

Pretty good performance and mix...well worth checking out . And at one time there was a conversion being offered , but I missed out .

This copy via the "True North " label .

Attachments

• 20180709_144749.jpg
    20180709_144749.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20180709_144828.jpg
    20180709_144828.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20180709_144841.jpg
    20180709_144841.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 103
Regarding your query into Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.......you're probably 100% correct. I checked all the usual places [Quad discography, discogs, etc.] and apparently it was NEVER released on CD~4 [and yet I swore I had it......memory surely plays tricks].

Ditto for me and I was the first to mention it. [and yet I swore I had it......memory surely plays tricks].

I just recorded in Dave Mason's Split Coconut, which unfortunately is one of those later SQ-only releases from Columbia (others are Bob Dylan's Desire, Billy Joel's Turnstiles, various O'Jays albums, and of course Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm, etc). The album has a fun "tropical vacation" vibe sort of like Loggins & Messina's Full Sail. Nice surround effect through the Involve decoder, especially that wah-wah guitar coming from the rears in track 4 "Save Your Love".

As I've said before, I think the 3 Mason quads (and any potential unreleased ones, such as 1977's Let It Flow) would be killer releases for D-V.

Back