What's The Big Deal With Pink Floyd?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
After being into Quad for the bulk portion of 20 years, and after many, many attempts; I finally scored a half-assed copy of this Q8.
Without much further ado, I can safely say: I still don't really get Pink Floyd. Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?

There's a few tracks from DSOTM that I think are ok: Money in particular. I like some of their 60's output like Arnold Layne.... but in my mind, they're just lazy musicians.
Nothing really stands out as particularly brilliant. I'm sure there's some technical aspects that some people might dig like their ability to play in 7/8 time or whatever but it just seems like lazy, drugged-out hippie music to me.

The mix on the Q8 is typical for the era. Drums up front. Stuff in the corners. Most of the time there's not a lot going on so you get some silent (hissy) channels for much of the songs.

A solid "meh" from me.
Good Surround.
Decent Fidelity.
Uninspiring Content.

Without much further ado, I can safely say: I still don't really get Pink Floyd. Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?

I can hardly resist your challenge, although I concede that if they are not to your taste, probably nothing I say will change your mind.

How were these guys popular? Well to start, they were highly innovative. They made music AND sound that was unique and atmospheric, and largely using off-the-shelf instrumentation to do so, but one might be hard pressed to identify what they were doing based on a superficial understanding of guitar/bass/drums/keyboards.

While there were surround innovations (see Fantasia) before the Floyd, they were among the first to bring surround to live musical performance.

Even they would tell you (in interviews) that they were bored with their early 70s repertoire, but for them this had more to do with repetition. I can listen to hours of the same songs on crappy bootlegs and find so much improvisation and variation that it holds my interest and enthusiasm.

And all that I have described came before they became one of the best fusions of atmospheric music and meaningful lyrics in the early mid-1970s, aka DSOTM and thereafter.

If you move from recordings to live performance (sadly poorly documented in official releases), they were innovators in theatrical presentations and set standards for both sound and stage presentations that became popular as technology improved. The Wall shows in 1980 pushed the boundaries of theatrical staging for rock performance, and both Roger and David continued in this vein on later tours, which are still a delight to attend. In this way they were really putting their money where their fans were, and can hardly be accused of being lazy on that front.

If you are calling them musically lazy, I think that is more of a matter of style - in the sense that some of their compositions are quite languid and downbeat. I would consider these tempos to be appropriate for the ideas and feelings they were trying to express, and for me personally their music happens to be a perfect fit.

In fact when Gilmour tried to update their sound on Momentary Lapse of Reason I found it to be annoying and pandering as compared to the classic more relaxed Floyd. I do not want my Floyd to sound like REO Speedwagon, thanks very much! Fortunately that was a singular detour, and I have heard talk that they might one day remix it to remove all the trendy drum reverb. Who knows - might make that one listenable. But I digress.

How were these guys popular? They connected emotionally and intellectually with millions all over the world. I am not saying you should like them, but the depth of their cultural penetration is impossible to dispute.

If you get to Denver, send me a PM and come visit. I will do my best to give you the audible tour that might show you the light on the other side of the Moon.

If anyone on this site is an institution on Pink Floyd, it's Fourplay!!!!!!

Interesting your take on "Pink Freud"(1987 PF), though....

One thing that was mentioned but I think needs to be stressed is TIMEFRAME....it's easy to dismiss or not appreciate older stuff -even harder to learn to- but 1966 is a LOOONG TIME AGO and the world was so different...and so many things were still not around...

and of course there must be a reason why DSOTM was on the Top 200 LPs list for DECADES!!!!...wasn't it a record setting...record????

If anyone on this site is an institution on Pink Floyd, it's Fourplay!!!!!!

As much as I would like to claim such a title, I have to acknowledge that there are plenty of people around here who could have written a similar response with all the gravitas of a true fan. I just happened to get to Q8's post first! But thanks for the sentiment.

In fact when Gilmour tried to update their sound on Momentary Lapse of Reason I found it to be annoying and pandering as compared to the classic more relaxed Floyd. I do not want my Floyd to sound like REO Speedwagon, thanks very much! Fortunately that was a singular detour, and I have heard talk that they might one day remix it to remove all the trendy drum reverb. Who knows - might make that one listenable. But I digress.

I'd like more discussion on this subject. I always kinda liked AMLOR, but I noticed Gilmour shies away from it in concert and seldom plays any cuts from it (Sorrow being the major exception). I don't think I've ever heard the song One Slip played live, even by the numerous Floyd tribute bands, and certainly not by Gilmour himself. I never noticed the extra reverb on the drums. So what's with all the hate for this album?

In fact a telling testament to PF popularity might be the sheer number of tribute bands the Floyd inspire. I've seen Brit Floyd, Aussie Floyd, The Machine, Relics, See Emily Play, and a few others over the years. There are likely other regional PF tribute bands I've never even heard of.

As much as I would like to claim such a title, I have to acknowledge that there are plenty of people around here who could have written a similar response with all the gravitas of a true fan. I just happened to get to Q8's post first! But thanks for the sentiment.

Spoken like a true expert/pro....you just proved my point ;)

And YES, this would need another thread!!!

I found them to be interesting, boring, innovative and complex at different times. My least favorite album is “Dark Side Of The Moon” but still listen to it a lot cause it’s in surround. David Gilmour has become the best musician. Whereas Roger Waters has fallen too far off the deep end for my tastes. And I used to think he was great! :unsure:

It was some of the best stoner music of our day(s).

I love the Waters/Gilmour stuff but have no use for Syd Barett. WYWH is my very favorite but I also really like DSOTM. The Wall has some great songs, but the film/concept was too dark for me to really enjoy.

The reason this looks like a new thread is because I moved it out of a poll discussion.

So the question really is why question the overall validity of the artist in a platform designated for grading the surround mix and Fidelity and material for the specific album listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha I guess we all have our 'I don't get it moments' but for me Pink Floyd are at the top of the barometer in terms of music creation. Well with The Beatles, Stones, Bowie. Erm you get what I mean :) Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, The Great Gig In The Sky, Another Brick In The Wall? Etc Etc Etc!! Stick 'em on, might change your mind?!

I'm trying to imagine the point of a post/thread like this.
I'm sure there are lots of acts I don't care for, but it simply wouldn't occur to me to start a thread just to complain about them.

Wait a tick, did anyone change the page on the calendar this morning?

Perhaps our young Canuck friend is only teasing us old hippies? ;) :rolleyes:

Nope, checked, started stirring the manure pile yesterday. :devilish: :poop: :p

Except for the fact that Roger Waters is an egregiously:eek: moody:LOL: foppish:unsure: dilettante:cool:, PF's a really cool band!

Am still awaiting the WALL in 5.1, PF. What gives?

Steve Wilson would've had those multitracks baked and superbly remastered LONG ago and had enuf bricks left over to build another Great Pyramid!:SB

Last edited:
Wait a tick, did anyone change the page on the calendar this morning?

Perhaps our young Canuck friend is only teasing us old hippies? ;) :rolleyes:

Nope, checked, started stirring the manure pile yesterday. :devilish: :poop: :p

Yeah, I've been here since 2003, you joined less than 2 years ago? So, who exactly is the 'newb' around here stirring the pot?

I don't understand why this post was moved. I posted because I've chased this Q8 title for the bulk of my Quad collecting days. Now that I've got it, I found the mix to be standard board of fare for 1975 Columbia tapes, the sonics to be a little on the hissy side and the music to be boring and uninspiring. I found it to be a much less-engaging listen than even the real, discrete version of Dark Side. Isn't that the point of the rating system? Sonics, Mix and Content? Am I not allowed to speak my mind and question why this was ever popular? Do we now have to start censoring so as not to offend and/or upset those among us with no testicular fortitude?

What could have turned into an interesting discussion (hey, lookit that - I'm NOT closed-minded!) but now some have decided to move my post and bash me behind my back. Not that I care. I've been called worse by a lot better. But after being here for a long, long time.... I'd have expected better from this forum.

Q8, no one is out to bash you (hopefully....) I think we can all appreciate that folks' musical tastes vary and not everyone has to like what everyone else likes. It's just a little odd to be asking that question, it's sort of like saying "I just heard this group called The Beatles, and I don't like them." I'm kind of thinking that you've heard Pink Floyd before and had formed an opinion. So why chase that tape if you don't like them? But, I can certainly appreciate your rating of the mix, sonics, etc.

Re-reading Q-Eight's original post, I can certainly see why all of this took him by surprise. I guess we took his question, "Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?" more literally than he might have intended.

Back