Ian Thomas - new album to be mixed in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Progfiend

QQ Supporter
Saw this on Ian Thomas’ Facebook page. Looks like the album will be called How We Roll. (Great artwork by Hugh Syme).

NEW ALBUM UPDATE:

Many of you have been asking about the status of my new album. It's been on pause mode for a few weeks now for good reason.

Today's music business model presents some interesting challenges for artists. Without the good old days of record and CD sales, old-school artists like me must resort to learning other ways of getting their music heard. Besides the obvious social media outlets, there are a variety of intermediaries that provide a suite of services to assist artists in marketing their music and uploading it to major streaming platforms. Getting to know the relative merits of each offering was an interesting education. Then, what if some listeners still want to purchase a CD or vinyl album? Short of becoming my own retail outlet, I've been searching for a service that take care of both: streaming and physical product. After a long search, I think I've finally found one.

There has been a new discovery for me in making this album. If your haven't experienced Dolby Atmos yet, you soon will. Dolby Atmos is a seriously wonderful audio development that basically creates surround sound using a sophisticated algorithm that creates an immersive experience for listeners. The enhancement is significant both on multi-speaker systems or binaural mixes for earbuds or headphones. As a result, many artists' catalogues from yesteryear are being remixed in Dolby Atmos and offered on streaming platforms or as Blu Ray discs for hardcore audiophiles. Atmos is quickly becoming a familiar feature in movie theatres as well. In short, this is one of the most exciting new developments in audio sound in quite some time.

As some of you may know, I am a sound and production junkie. I simply love losing myself in sound and its ambience. It took a while to go up the learning curve, but after recording and mixing the new album, I decided to mix it in Dolby Atmos. I believe that extra time was well spent. As a result, my new album will be available to you both in traditional digital CD format or in Dolby Atmos format via streaming platforms or Blu Ray disc.

The mastering of the Dolby Atmos mix is being completed this week. In addition to all this new dazzling audio stuff there's some icing on the cake ... the artwork. Hugh Syme is one ridiculously talented artist, and as many of you know, a former bandmate who played keys for the Ian Thomas Band in the 70s. You may have seen some of his artwork for RUSH over the years or the artwork for all four Boomers' albums, and he's created some thought-provoking artwork for every song in this new recording. It will of course be included in a CD/Blu-Ray booklet along with the lyrics, much like we did with the Life in Song album in 2016. For those of you who choose to download, we plan to make the booklet available as a PDF file or the like.

We are looking towards a release date asap in the New Year, and I can't wait for you to hear it. I’ve attached a wee peek at the album cover and one of Hugh's wonderful images.

Best, Ian.

Here’s the link, not sure if you have to be a member of Ian’s page to see it:

I remember the song well as it was included on a great 4CD compilation of Canadian content called “Oh What A Feeling”

IMG_3329.jpeg

I saw the Ian Thomas Band in 1978 on a double bill with the criminally underrated/underappreciated/mostly unknown outside of Canada band Max Webster. What a great double bill! And, I'd have to say that, although Ian is serious with his music, his in between song banter was hilarious. I've heard he's actually funnier than his brother Dave.

I saw the Ian Thomas Band in 1978 on a double bill with the criminally underrated/underappreciated/mostly unknown outside of Canada band Max Webster. What a great double bill! And, I'd have to say that, although Ian is serious with his music, his in between song banter was hilarious. I've heard he's actually funnier than his brother Dave.
Ian is criminally underrated too.
Great songwriter and his albums always sound good.

He wrote “The Runner” which was a hit for Manfred Mann, and “Hold On” that Santana covered.
I will buy anything his name is attached to

He also wrote "Right Before Your Eyes" which was a hit for America in '82. The America version is a cover of Thomas' version. I prefer Ian's version.
I've been a fan since "Painted Ladies". Soooo many really, really good songs.

Hey multi-channel music fans, when this album drops you are all in for a treat! Ian Thomas and I are buddies, living in the same town and sharing a passion for great music with something honest to say, great gear allowing us to savor it fully, and fully realized friendships.

IMG_1855.JPG

Me on the left, Ian center and "the Fabulous Johnny Zee, the other guitar player in Ian's current touring band, enjoying lunch yesterday at Jax here in our hometown.

During regular reciprocal visits between Ian's fantastic home studio and my dedicated listening room, I've been enjoying the songs that will debut on Ian's new album for the past year and they are fantastic. This new album is killer, no filler and IMHO, ranks among his very best work.

IMG_1487.JPG

50+ years into his career and Ian is still rocking! My front row May '22 pic of Ian Thomas (left), Paul Intson on bass, and Johnny Zee (right) playing at the Ancaster Memorial Arts Center.

IMG_1856.JPG

Johnny and Ian enjoying (and critiquing) the Atmos Dark Side Of the Moon Pure Audio Blu Ray in my dedicated music and cinema room after lunch yesterday.

I missed this thread a couple weeks ago but I'm glad @MTB Vince posted so I could see it now. I'm all in for this release.

Ian also wrote a couple other great tunes for other artists, notably "Hold On" for Santana (with the fabulous Alex Ligertwood on lead vocals) and "Runner" for Manfred Mann (with the fabulous Chris Thompson on lead vocals). Our Australian friends might know "As The Days Go By" and "All I Do" by Daryl Braithwaite. These credentials alone are enough to make me a fan, though I admit to only owning a compilation CD of Ian.

Hey multi-channel music fans, when this album drops you are all in for a treat! Ian Thomas and I are buddies, living in the same town and sharing a passion for great music with something honest to say, great gear allowing us to savor it fully, and fully realized friendships.

View attachment 98410
Me on the left, Ian center and "the Fabulous Johnny Zee, the other guitar player in Ian's current touring band, enjoying lunch yesterday at Jax here in our hometown.

During regular reciprocal visits between Ian's fantastic home studio and my dedicated listening room, I've been enjoying the songs that will debut on Ian's new album for the past year and they are fantastic. This new album is killer, no filler and IMHO, ranks among his very best work.

View attachment 98415
50+ years into his career and Ian is still rocking! My front row May '22 pic of Ian Thomas (left), Paul Intson on bass, and Johnny Zee (right) playing at the Ancaster Memorial Arts Center.

View attachment 98411
Johnny and Ian enjoying (and critiquing) the Atmos Dark Side Of the Moon Pure Audio Blu Ray in my dedicated music and cinema room after lunch yesterday.

Cool! How did they like the DSOTM experience?

...Ian also wrote a couple other great tunes for other artists, notably "Hold On" for Santana (with the fabulous Alex Ligertwood on lead vocals) and "Runner" for Manfred Mann (with the fabulous Chris Thompson on lead vocals). Our Australian friends might know "As The Days Go By" and "All I Do" by Daryl Braithwaite. These credentials alone are enough to make me a fan, though I admit to only owning a compilation CD of Ian.

According to Ian, none of the songs you reference and a few others performed by America and Anne Murray which you didn't note, were actually "written for" other bands. All were Ian Thomas originals which were released first on Ian's own albums and then later discovered and covered (in some cases to considerable global success) by other bigger, better known bands and artists.

Cool! How did they like the DSOTM experience?

We all enjoyed it but Ian and Johnny both shared the same critiques of DSotM I did. All the swirling Atmos driven sonic embellishments sounded amazing. So perfect in fact, that I wondered whether maybe the sound effects had been reproduced and re-recorded to replace the originals? However both the lead vocal and Roger Water's guitar at the core of most songs often had an issue in the upper midrange. The vocals and guitar would take on a harsh shouty quality, particularly when the song got loud. Additionally, the top end of the lead vocal on many songs seemed quite closed in and rolled off- possessing and occupying a different acoustic than the rest of the elements of that song.

Both Ian and Johnny thought the shortcomings in the vocal and guitar sonics were likely due to the original microphone choices and the condition of the tapes when they were cleaned up and transferred to digital. Basically that there was likely only so much the remix engineer could do to try and make them sound better...

Ian Thomas is a terrific artist. I hope that the earlier stuff with the Ian Thomas Band and with The Boomers (4 terrific albums) also gets the Atmos treatment. This is really good stuff.

I don't think remastering prior albums to re-release in m-ch format has even occurred to Ian. However Ian has fully embraced Atmos moving forward. He is in the midst of upgrading his home studio from 2.1 to 5.1.4 and has frequently discussed writing the music arrangements for the next album (after How We Roll) specifically for Atmos from the get-go.

According to Ian, none of the songs you reference and a few others performed by America and Anne Murray which you didn't note, were actually "written for" other bands. All were Ian Thomas originals which were released first on Ian's own albums and then later discovered and covered (in some cases to considerable global success) by other bigger, better known bands and artists.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew this was the case but should have phrased it differently. I will say that these covers of Ian’s songs are what made me appreciate him.

Back