HiRez Poll Big Big Train - THE LIKES OF US [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Big Big Train - The Likes Of Us

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand-new 2024 studio album from Big Big Train entitled "The Likes Of Us".
The CD/Blu-Ray Mediabook edition from InsideOut Music contains 5.1 surround sound & Dolby Atmos mixes from The Pineapple Thief's Bruce Soord.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

BigBigTrain_TheLikesOfUs_19658834692_Mediabook_MockUp_1_Description.png

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-mixes-coming-3-1-24.35210/page-3#post-761720

This is a big time 10. Great prog material. The tracks will grow on you pretty quickly. Beneath the Masts is an epic. Miramare isn't too far behind.

One of the best Atmos mixes I've heard. It fits the music, and is quite discrete. The backing vocals in Skates On and the title track are so well done. The vocal interplay on this album is magical. Sonics are impressive. Very dynamic.

And No bloated box.

I'm impressed. BTW I found this band through QQ

I read a few comments about not liking the lead singer and/or his presence in the mix. I find this not so. This guy can do justice to Longdon's memory.

Finally some BBT studio surround. I hope this sells well and they see fit to do The Underfall Yard and English Electric.

I understand Stone and Steel is going for crazy money now. If you have it you know why. If you don't, I'm sorry. My prediction is this release will be going for big money too. Get it while you can.

Last edited:
I think the new singer is fine.
On my first listen...well tinnitus and running a chainsaw even with earplugs....I got the impression the vocals were low.
On subsequent listens I have not found that to be the case.

First Listen. Although Bravin vocals is good, I miss Longdon. Yes, now that you mention it, I also miss the flute.

Atmos mix not as amazing as I was expecting. Few pannings and few locations of isolated instruments. With the typical Bruce mix of vocals suspended in front/height (using my Wides). This, I think, prevents the distinction between the lead vocals and the backing vocals from being well more separated. Or they are not really backing chorus, because everybody in the band sings...

But overall immmersion very good, I can walk around the room, outside my MLP, and discover new sounds locations. (New 'technique' of mine to enjoy Atmos:)). Especially when I stay under the Atmos Tops, staring at the rear of the room.

Also found the general Bass is weak. Perhaps I have to increase the volume :unsure:

Need to listen more.

I have relisten several times and I have changed my mind for much better.

It is an Atmos mix that you have to carefully taste it to appreciate the great bubble you are immersed. The sounds do not ping pong or pan too much, that's why I was not very impressed at first listen. But when you try to locate sounds you find that they are there and there, over the air, much above you, and the sounds sound real, I mean, you feel like immersed in the center of the band, like seating on the floor, with each vocals, instruments and drums all around and above you in different places.

Really good Bruce Atmos mix, to give a real inmersión, without gimmick effects.

With more listens the musical content, melodies, and instrumental passages, grow in great variety, with some sounds and short chordal passages briefly reminiscent to me of Genesis and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

My vote is a 10.

I was nervous in how the new singer would sound and fit into this fantastic band.

They are all masters of their own craft and are clearly enjoying making music together.

I have listened now to this on repeat. It takes awhile to get into the Atmos mix, which is a good thing, as it makes me appreciate what these fine musicians are producing.

Bruce has used his impressive mixing skills to give this release the respect it deserves.

I'm looking forward to seeing them live at the Cropredy Festival later this year. My son is coming along too. I only had to mention it's a laid back 3 days and he jumped at the chance!! 😁

How lucky are we to have these fantastic musicians coupled with Rob Aubrey and Bruce Soords mixing skills.

I like it, 10

Actually, I love 💕 it .
PS: The new singer fits in like a glove.
RIP, David Longdon 💗

I voted 9. I honestly thought I would abandon the train when so many of the core members were no longer in the band, but I think the new reincarnation is very successful in reinventing the BBT sound rather than looking back, which means I do not directly miss the former members.

I think this album hangs together as an album better than anything since English Electric.

The recording is very well done with a dynamic mastering. The stereo portion is utterly excellent and the Atmos mix is also very good, though it takes some time to get used with the drums in the heights and some songs very anchored in the heights, like all the layered vocals in Skates On.

Breathtakingly beautiful. Solid 10 from me.
Yes, I agree. And quite pastoral, and with echoes of childhood innocence, musically, lyrically and also in the artwork.

I especially love the warm horn arrangements and the way they open the album at the start after the first sung words set the scene for us. It's like a curtain rising to show us the arrival of old friends, reassuring us that all is OK, even while the lyrics don't shy away from acknowledging these disquieting times. And those bursts of mellotron, which, for me, recall Mike Pinder's mellotron sound - oh wow.

And the songs grow on you with each listen. And the unique, quite different surround mix presentation, which caught me off guard at first, gives everything a unique sound and a shine.

A well-deserved 10 from me as well. A special album I am very pleased to own.

First Listen. Although Bravin vocals is good, I miss Longdon. Yes, now that you mention it, I also miss the flute.

Atmos mix not as amazing as I was expecting. Few pannings and few locations of isolated instruments. With the typical Bruce mix of vocals suspended in front/height (using my Wides). This, I think, prevents the distinction between the lead vocals and the backing vocals from being well more separated. Or they are not really backing chorus, because everybody in the band sings...

But overall immmersion very good, I can walk around the room, outside my MLP, and discover new sounds locations. (New 'technique' of mine to enjoy Atmos:)). Especially when I stay under the Atmos Tops, staring at the rear of the room.

Also found the general Bass is weak. Perhaps I have to increase the volume :unsure:

Need to listen more.
I'm disappointed with the surround mix.. very weak low end...

...though it takes some time to get used with the drums in the heights and some songs very anchored in the heights, like all the layered vocals in Skates On.
It's certainly a different approach. I think we're so used to hearing the heights deployed for secondary elements that come and go (e.g. a burst of background vocals during the chorus) that it can seem a bit strange to have them treated as consistently-active 'equal partners' like this. I like Bruce's description of the effect, a "big blanket of sound".

No complaints about the low-end from me.

I voted 9. I honestly thought I would abandon the train when so many of the core members were no longer in the band, but I think the new reincarnation is very successful in reinventing the BBT sound rather than looking back, which means I do not directly miss the former members.

I think this album hangs together as an album better than anything since English Electric.

The recording is very well done with a dynamic mastering. The stereo portion is utterly excellent and the Atmos mix is also very good, though it takes some time to get used with the drums in the heights and some songs very anchored in the heights, like all the layered vocals in Skates On.

The drums in the heights bugs me. The 5.1 has them all in front, which I prefer. OTOH, I like the vocals from all over in the Atmos mix.

I only received this yesterday, i’m already on my 4th listen, this is fecking amazing, songs, musicianship, production and atmos mix are just WOW.
My favourite band Spocks Beard don’t do multichannel so this is probably as close as i’ll ever get since there are a lot of similarities, i’ve never owned any BBT before this, Nick D’virgilio and atmos sold this to me.
It’s a 10 from me. If you don’t have it already grab it quickly, I predict this will be going for funny money on the 2nd hand market in future.

I only received this yesterday, i’m already on my 4th listen, this is fecking amazing, songs, musicianship, production and atmos mix are just WOW.
My favourite band Spocks Beard don’t do multichannel so this is probably as close as i’ll ever get since there are a lot of similarities, i’ve never owned any BBT before this, Nick D’virgilio and atmos sold this to me.
It’s a 10 from me. If you don’t have it already grab it quickly, I predict this will be going for funny money on the 2nd hand market in future.
Highly recommend their live Blurays for both the sound quality, and the songs - Summer Shall Not Fade is still readily available, the others are somewhat harder to get at a reasonable price.

Back