HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I REALLY need to turn the atmos mix WAY UP. As many others have noted. And then it falls into place - even if my marriage is strained by, to quote, the ‘outrageous cacophony’. Actually - an apt description!! I’ve been fighting this new mix for the last couple of weeks. With endless comparisons with the 5.1, two quads, and various stereo versions. Including my original 1972 vinyl. (Remembering to turn the fecking volume WAY DOWN when transferring from the atmos!!!)

Finally, despite hating the need to CLOSELY monitor the volume levels to avoid blowing speakers when changing to other sources, I’ve completely fallen for the atmos mix. Enjoying it hugely. One example, to my ears, with my system turned WAY UP, the drums at the start of Pictures have never sounded this all encompassing and thundering. And now that I’ve found a way in, and conquered a predilection to be negative based on initial listens, I’m sold. So, add the very fun US quad, and I’m giving it a 10!

OK, I have finally heard the entire box set on my main system and here's my review:

CD 1 - 2024 Remix Stereo Remix / 2024 Original Mix Remaster - I like the new mix and agree with most of the changes/enhancements Zappa has done. Bass and drums are more solid on the remix.

CD 2 - '72 Concert - Great sound, great show and considering how many Machine Head songs were performed, this is a perfect inclusion for the box set.

CD 3 - '71 Concert - Sounds better on my big system than it did on my computer based rig, but more historically significant due to the recording location than the quality of audio. If this had been recorded at any other venue, I highly doubt it would be in the box.

Blu-Ray - The jewel of this box and the reason most of us bought this. It doesn't disappoint. The new mix sounds great (if you turn it up loud) and I like the way Zappa moves things around. Nice to have the US quad mix in a clean transfer. My only gripe about the US quad mix is I don't like the vocals to Highway Star being only in the rear channels. That is the only song mixed that way on the album. Odd channel assignment choice on that song. The 5.1 mixes are good. I wish they had done the entire album, but the Rhine DVD-A gives us that.

The LP - Pristine, quiet (did not hear a single pop or tick on the entire record) no warp, original insert and cool purple vinyl. Excellent.

Book is full size with great pics and good size text that tells the story of the album, track by track. Excellent

I paid just under $55 for box set, so it is probably the best value vs. content box I have bought in a long time. Gotta give it a 10.

I just got finished with my 3rd listen to the US quad MH. This was the loudest play yet of the quad album mix. I think and previously thought it rocks like hell. The top end is brash and sassy (for better or worse), The bass is not deep gut rumbling either. And revealed sound quality exposes this recording for being done in a less than Abbey Road studios.

Hearing the details in the mix and overall musicality and playfulness of the music here, and for me having no desire to skip a track or two in the US quad make it a very compelling play beginning to end. Can I give this a 10 for the quad mix and ignore the rest of the package content? I'm not likely to dock it .5 point for the treble being slightly sharp, and .5 point on the issue of expense of $60 to $80 in the US for the inclusion of the filler fluff.

I think it still gets a strong 10 because it plays so strongly as a musical program in quad.

Last edited:
Back