HiRez Poll Morrison, Van - MOONDANCE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Van Morrison - MOONDANCE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Interestingly enough, if you listen to Dires Straits from albums "Making Movies" onwards, you will hear several examples of Mark Knopfler playing similar notes, ideas, snippets & themes that would later "show up" enforce on "Brothers In Arms". This does not, however come across, in my opinion, as "same-y" but rather an artist developing his unique style.

As far as the Atmos mix is concerned, I reside in the same camp as 4_everyman, the mix to my ears is sublime. As a former lover of all things "2 channel analogue", the 5.1 mix comes across harsher and less involving while the Atmos is more "involving" and has more of an analogue "bloom".

Interestingly enough, I don't listen to Dire Straits very often for the exact reason mentioned in the previous post. Since we're cross talking in a topic where that is discouraged.

I voted 10.
I own the previously released 2013 Deluxe Edition. I did not compare.
This standalone Blu Ray is almost perfection in it's packaging and liner notes.
I loved reading, I presume Steven Wilson liner notes, I presume as they are not signed.
He explains to us the listener, his approach, acknowledging, that it is his interpretation and others had they mixed it might be different.
I thought that was cool and honest.
Dolby Atmos: 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 12, 13's, 14's, 15.
Absolutely better than the 5.1. Very active heights. I could hear this release in a different way than before, which I like.
Something that popped out that hadn't felt before was the sax's, really full, almost a great listen unto itself.
I listened to this Atmos release as something beautiful and relaxing. Such a popular album that so many people have heard, I would classify this Atmos mix as reference for friends and family.
Bonus Listen: A very fun listen was the 2023 stereo remix, (Instrumental) on the Blu Ray. 24bit/96Khz. Dr's 12, 13's, 14's, 15.
Listening, this instrumental, albeit stereo is a good warm up to the Atmos. It helps get the listener to engage with the solos and rhythm section.
The listener also gets a few tracks of bleed over of Van's vocals and on one track there is a constant bleed over of his vocal. All very interesting and fun.

Please Keep Poll Threads Pure To Your Personal listening Experience.

I don’t consider myself a Van fan, but I have the previous 2013 mix which I loved. I also love this atmos mix, despite a couple of disappointing differences versus the prior. Specifically, I thought the “stereo” treatment of the background singers on “Crazy Love” served to create a better dialog and balance vs. Van’s vocals. Very same comment for “Brand New Day.” The atmos pushes the background singers to one side, whereas the previous 5.1 centered them, and they seemed more distinct and prominent as a result. Small thing, but it was a nice touch. Overall the album is great and the atmos mix is terrific. The blu-ray also contains the dts HD version from 2013. So you don’t miss out on anything. I think the atmos mix has better fidelity but in places the prior version “hangs together” better musically for me. They’re both a 10.

I voted 10, how can you not? For me every song is killer, Into the Mystic is really a religious experience in Atmos.

Like the 2013 version this one starts directly without any navigation. In my set-up the first bar in the first song is missed so I need to "rewind" to get a proper start - anyone else noticed this?

I voted 10. Moondance is one of my desert island records. The 2013 5.1 mix was my favourite multichannel mix of any album until now. I think the Atmos mix may be even better, but I'm still having discussions with myself :) The Atmos mix is for sure more organic and probably more in line with the sound ideals of the time the recording was made, but I really like the agressiveness of the 5.1 mix. Good thing I don't have to choose since both are on the same disc. The big surprise here was the new stereo mix -I think it is outstanding!

I voted 10. Moondance is one of my desert island records. The 2013 5.1 mix was my favourite multichannel mix of any album until now. I think the Atmos mix may be even better, but I'm still having discussions with myself :) The Atmos mix is for sure more organic and probably more in line with the sound ideals of the time the recording was made, but I really like the agressiveness of the 5.1 mix. Good thing I don't have to choose since both are on the same disc. The big surprise here was the new stereo mix -I think it is outstanding!
Great first post–welcome! I echo your sentiments about all three mixes. This one is a 10 in my book–great album and great mixes! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Completely random but I have to say this disc's menu screen might be my all time favorite.
Simple navigation with a changing window graphic transitioning from a replication of the album cover to some graphic illustrations of the night sky or trees in the fall/winter.

I asked my friend who has an etsy type customization side hustle if she could make me a t-shirt the mimics either the blue nighttime & stars theme or the golden themed trees. 🤫 Don't tell the man.

Oh and the Atmos mix is joyous. I am not sure which I like better. The old deluxe box 5.1 standalone that does a slightly better job with the vocals and maybe instrument isolation to the new Atmos that puts those foghorns up high.

Got this in in a SDE haul today, and yeah it’s a 10. Fantastic Atmos mix by SW, lovely 3 pages of liner notes about mixing, plenty of audio options including the Scheiner mixes (though if I were to nit-pick… where’s a hi res version of the original stereo? Scheiner’s 2013 remaster seemingly takes that spot… heck, you could appeal to the diehards by having the tambourine cut and non-tamborine cut).

Really hope this isn’t the last we’ve heard of Steven Wilson and Van The Man, I’d die for a Astral Weeks mix!

Steven Wilson signature mix. I doubt you can get better sound from this iconic album. Atmos is used in a clever way using heights only when required. Voice stays in center channel with echo in the rears or viceversa, providing a real 3D effect "in your head" , indeed I really think this album needed the vocals to be "thickened". I never appreciated moon dance more. A felt 10 from me

Back