HiRez Poll Pearl Jam - DARK MATTER [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pearl Jam - DARK MATTER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I found this release very refreshing. Never been much of PJ fan, but decided to grab this one. Forget the stereo, I didn't even listen. I went straight for the Atmos (5.1.4 on my system).
Just a ton of volume on this, though I don't notice it being compressed, fatiguing or low in vocal volume at all. I just really didn't. Also know that I generally never listen at lower volumes, this sort of music isn't going to grab you unless you punch it up. (also know I am not questioning what others hear, only addressing some comments I've heard here and other parts of the forum)

The height speakers are utilized quite a bit from what I can tell. I say it this way because I never go towards speakers to see which ones are playing (unless I clearly sense that one isn't) It's the overall presentation in surround that matters to me. This title just rocks, and I love how it sounds in Atmos. I voted a 9. I honestly couldn't be happier.

Since checking dynamic range across a multi-channel release is not accurate, I isolated the front 2 channels on song 2 to have a more apples to apples and here are the results. Heck, I listened to those front 2 channels, and it sounded pretty damn good as well. This is an incredibly dense (grunge, well, what do we expect) sounding release. Having it in Atmos or even if it were 5.1 is the way to go. They left the dynamics in place, left the durge, grunge, dense sound...but opened it up best they could with Atmos. Good stuff. Just turn it up, like really loud, grab a beer and enjoy.

foobar2000 1.6.13 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2024-04-24 12:10:21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics for: ?-Chapter 02
Number of samples: 10114104
Duration: 3:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left Right

Peak Value: -7.24 dB --- -6.64 dB
Avg RMS: -21.18 dB --- -20.77 dB
DR channel: 11.87 dB --- 11.87 dB

Official DR Value: DR12

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1589 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

I found this release very refreshing. Never been much of PJ fan, but decided to grab this one. Forget the stereo, I didn't even listen. I went straight for the Atmos (5.1.4 on my system).
Just a ton of volume on this, though I don't notice it being compressed, fatiguing or low in vocal volume at all. I just really didn't. Also know that I generally never listen at lower volumes, this sort of music isn't going to grab you unless you punch it up. (also know I am not questioning what others hear, only addressing some comments I've heard here and other parts of the forum)

The height speakers are utilized quite a bit from what I can tell. I say it this way because I never go towards speakers to see which ones are playing (unless I clearly sense that one isn't) It's the overall presentation in surround that matters to me. This title just rocks, and I love how it sounds in Atmos. I voted a 9. I honestly couldn't be happier.
Good to hear!
I am not a huge PJ fan either, but am looking forward to giving it a spin 👍🏼

Its seems to be going to hell in a handbasket lately, my poor format of choice. MIXER HACKS!!!

Here is hoping that Luther Van Dross makes up for MK, Quadro Nuevo and Pearl Jam.

I too am experiencing decreased volume on vocals. Poked around some and realize there is zero center channel output on my system with this disc. Every other Atmos and 5.1 disc and recording I have is fine. Do those of you loving this mix have center channel output?

I checked out Dark Matter on Apple Music - Dolby Atmos mix and was impressed with how solid the song quality was ( No filler IMO). So I purchased the blu ray /cd combo. As others have noted, the center channel is recessed, more on some tracks than other tracks. This is a very discrete Dolby Atmos mix with plenty of surround channel action. The Dolby Atmos mix sounds even better in Blu ray and I am very satisfied with this mix. Glad I bought Dark Matter as it is fairly priced for a change for this blu ray disc. I vote a high 9 IMO.

I too am experiencing decreased volume on vocals. Poked around some and realize there is zero center channel output on my system with this disc. Every other Atmos and 5.1 disc and recording I have is fine. Do those of you loving this mix have center channel output?
I have very little to no center channel output on both my Atmos and 5.1 systems. But the vocals are still strong and clear. It sounds like a quad recording on my 5.1 system.is very immersive on my Atmos system.

I have very little to no center channel output on both my Atmos and 5.1 systems. But the vocals are still strong and clear. It sounds like a quad recording on my 5.1 system and is very immersive on my Atmos system.

I have very little to no center channel output on both my Atmos and 5.1 systems. But the vocals are still strong and clear. It sounds like a quad recording on my 5.1 system and is very immersive on my Atmos system.
that kinda reinforces my thought that the vocals are mainly in the L/R channels, with very little in the centre.

Back