HiRez Poll Prince & the New Power Generation - DIAMONDS & PEARLS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Prince & the New Power Generation - DIAMONDS & PEARLS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thought and comments on this new brand new Blu-Ray Audio disc of the album "Diamonds & Pearls" by Prince & the New Power Generation.
This Blu-Ray Audio disc includes a brand new Dolby Atmos mix of the album.

(y) :) (n)

616dg76pLjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71aATfAdSDL._SL1500_.jpg

Just 1 play so far on my 5.1 set up listening to the Atmos mix and I’m very impressed! Very discreet and great Fidelity
I've played it once on Sunday, also in 5.1. Agreed that the surround and fidelity are good. On the song Money Don't Matter 2 Night the vocals sound a bit distorted (perhaps processed). Any else have this? Its not an album that I know very well.

I've played it once on Sunday, also in 5.1. Agreed that the surround and fidelity are good. On the song Money Don't Matter 2 Night the vocals sound a bit distorted (perhaps processed). Any else have this? Its not an album that I know very well.
I have always found that the vocals in that song sound distorted, already on the original CD that I bought when the album came out

At moments very impressive. wondering if other prince albums will be remixed.
I need to compare to the original to get a clear picture of all the things done. But the crowded parts of this album appear more at ease and more detailed.

Run on a 7.1.2 system.

Compared to 'point' sound rating a 7, surround 5

This one was weird for me, the rears have very little play and everything seems focused on the fronts, esp. vocals on my left speakers. It seems like they separated his vocals above the music which is odd. Just to make sure something wasn't amiss in my setup I put in Pink Floyd's DSOTM in Atmos and it was far better. Not sure how I feel about this one, it feels more pronounced but on say the beginning of "Cream" I was fully expecting those 'moans' to go 360 around me in my mind, yet they were stuck on my front left speakers. On the title track in the middle section where the drums crescendo it was pretty underwhelming. I guess I just expected more tbh.

I'll give it another listen but as of now I give it a 7.

(Update) So I had to go back to check my Atmos setup on my Onkyo and everything seems fine. I have a Klipsch 5.1.2 setup with dipole speakers in the rear. I purchased for Atmos their speakertop add-ons that sit on top of the towers firing upwards. Maybe it's me but for some reason on many audio titles Atmos sounds lower compared to either the 5.1 or stereo version. On this disc the one thing that stood out specifically was on "Gett Off", at the very beginning in the back ground they say twice 'club mix'. On the stereo version it's crystal clear yet on Atmos you can barely even detect it. I have to crank up Atmos to like 70 on my receiver to get the same volume of the stereo version at 50s.

Last edited:
On my 5.1 system; probably the best I've heard a Prince album in surround so far.

The mastering is a little crispy on the top end IMO. The mix could have been a little more adventurous though also.

I'll go for a 9 vote, and ready with wallet for more old Prince/& The New Power Generation in surround/Atmos.

Please post your thought and comments on this new brand new Blu-Ray Audio disc of the album "Diamonds & Pearls" by Prince & the New Power Generation.
This Blu-Ray Audio disc includes a brand new Dolby Atmos mix of the album.

(y) :) (n)

616dg76pLjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71aATfAdSDL._SL1500_.jpg
Personally i am.not inpressed with this mix.
Was excited to have a listen on my 11.1.4 setup and wow underwhelmed is not the word.

Tried every possible setting and all i get is this female singer whaling her lungs out of my left hand side speakers and eveyone and everthing else quiet in the centre, tops, right x 2 and rears x 6 almost non existant. Waste of money for me..
Just doesnt impress me at all. Would rather stick to my sacd discs they always hit the spot.

On my 5.1 system; probably the best I've heard a Prince album in surround so far.

The mastering is a little crispy on the top end IMO. The mix could have been a little more adventurous though also.

I'll go for a 9 vote, and ready with wallet for more old Prince/& The New Power Generation in surround/Atmos.
Are there other Prince albums in surround?

This one was weird for me, the rears have very little play and everything seems focused on the fronts, esp. vocals on my left speakers. It seems like they separated his vocals above the music which is odd. Just to make sure something wasn't amiss in my setup I put in Pink Floyd's DSOTM in Atmos and it was far better. Not sure how I feel about this one, it feels more pronounced but on say the beginning of "Cream" I was fully expecting those 'moans' to go 360 around me in my mind, yet they were stuck on my front left speakers. On the title track in the middle section where the drums crescendo it was pretty underwhelming. I guess I just expected more tbh.

I'll give it another listen but as of now I give it a 7.

(Update) So I had to go back to check my Atmos setup on my Onkyo and everything seems fine. I have a Klipsch 5.1.2 setup with dipole speakers in the rear. I purchased for Atmos their speakertop add-ons that sit on top of the towers firing upwards. Maybe it's me but for some reason on many audio titles Atmos sounds lower compared to either the 5.1 or stereo version. On this disc the one thing that stood out specifically was on "Gett Off", at the very beginning in the back ground they say twice 'club mix'. On the stereo version it's crystal clear yet on Atmos you can barely even detect it. I have to crank up Atmos to like 70 on my receiver to get the same volume of the stereo version at 50s.
That’s because upfiring atmos speakers are crap

If that was the case (which it isn't based on countless audio reviews stating otherwise) then the same would apply to all of my other Atmos media...which it doesn't.
I’m only going off my own experience, I found the atmos experience awful with upfiring speakers, ditched them for height speakers and the difference is night and day

I cannot rip it using DVDFAB.
Any sughestions?
Has happened before with one of REM's bluray audio and one of The Pineapple Thief's, I dont remember which ones but not the latest.

Back