Prince - Diamonds and Pearls (BD-A w/Atmos mix of studio album / box set with BD-V live material and videos) October 27 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That link doesn't work for me but I see it in 360 here.
That's probably a clerical/timing error - in the UK it's Atmos. Warner don't have any toe in the 360RA game as far as I know? And I doubt Tidal get involved with encoding? :unsure: The same thing happened with Olivia Rodrigo's GUTS album, which is available in both Atmos and 360RA, despite being a Universal release... Funny thing is there are a lot of Sony music releases that have only dropped in Atmos?!

Wonder who did this mix?! It's pretty good from what I previewed...

Wonder who did this mix?! It's pretty good from what I previewed...
Chris James, now confirmed:
Screenshot_2023-09-28-20-58-13-03_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Chris James, now confirmed:
View attachment 96740
Oh cool many thanks! I see he's credited as an engineer on the Fleetwood Mac Tusk Atmos release and considering he was only 5 when it was recorded, must mean he was involved with the Atmos... :D I thought Tusk was a nice mix, The Rumours (Atmos) not so, but I think that was someone else. He also lists 360RA in his bio so I presume he encoded 2 mixes for the streaming services?

Has worked with Kings Of Leon which would also be very cool!

But hopefully for the mo he's busy doing more of the Prince catalogue. Purple Rain single issue Blu Ray would be great. When Doves Cry already sounds great in Atmos

Last edited:
Blu.ray.com's review of the ATMOS remix of Prince's Diamonds and Pearls:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prin...on-Diamonds-and-Pearls-Blu-ray/344448/#Review
There is nothing in this article I can tell that the author Jeffrey Kauffman has actually listened to this album in surround much less ATMOS. It is a preview, not a review as happens so often on that website. He talks of Bernstein, and spaces and Tears for Fears. Nothing that tells us how the album mix presents. Maybe because it hasn't been actually released yet? Does he have a special press corp release? If so he's done nothing to tell his viewers how the new album will actually sound in surround. :(

As is often the best most valid surround sound reviews will be in this forum, probably on the polls.

Last edited:
There is nothing in this article I can tell that the author Jeffrey Kauffman has actually listened to this album in surround much less ATMOS. It is a preview, not a review as happens so often on that website. He talks of Bernstein, and spaces and Tears for Fears. Nothing that tells us how the album mix presents. Maybe because it hasn't been actually released yet? Does he have a special press corp release? If so he's done nothing to tell his viewers how the new album will actually sound in surround. :(

As is often the best most valid surround sound reviews will be in this forum, probably on the polls.
Er.... Jeffery Kauffman wrote: "While the stereo version is perfectly fine, I can't imagine those with the ability to play the Atmos version not choosing that one. The most immediately noticeable difference is in the midrange and low end (perhaps ironically, given Atmos" advertised "in the air" qualitites), which fairly explode with new energy when compared to the stereo version. Along with that ubiquitous use of the tritone, another thing that struck me on this listen is how artfully Prince utilizes space in his arrangements, despite the perceived density of some of the accompaniments. The Atmos track beautifully provides some sumptuous breathing room where the "jingly" bits on various keyboards blend magically with guitars, with vocals always very nicely mixed (interestingly, not necessarily as far forward as in the more "focused" stereo version, but never to the detriment of not being able to hear them). Fidelity is excellent throughout, and while a lot of the album is fairly high energy, some of the more jazz or pop inflected tunes offer nice dynamic range as well."

Back