Prince - Diamonds and Pearls (BD-A w/Atmos mix of studio album / box set with BD-V live material and videos) October 27 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Er.... Jeffery Kauffman wrote: "While the stereo version is perfectly fine, I can't imagine those with the ability to play the Atmos version not choosing that one. The most immediately noticeable difference is in the midrange and low end (perhaps ironically, given Atmos" advertised "in the air" qualitites), which fairly explode with new energy when compared to the stereo version. Along with that ubiquitous use of the tritone, another thing that struck me on this listen is how artfully Prince utilizes space in his arrangements, despite the perceived density of some of the accompaniments. The Atmos track beautifully provides some sumptuous breathing room where the "jingly" bits on various keyboards blend magically with guitars, with vocals always very nicely mixed (interestingly, not necessarily as far forward as in the more "focused" stereo version, but never to the detriment of not being able to hear them). Fidelity is excellent throughout, and while a lot of the album is fairly high energy, some of the more jazz or pop inflected tunes offer nice dynamic range as well."
I just wish they could've done this with SOTT or Purple Rain, neither remaster "wowed" me, the bass was muddy and lacking imho. Of course, it may have been originally mixed this way but you'd think one of the Atmos gurus could take a stab at it.

I just wish they could've done this with SOTT or Purple Rain, neither remaster "wowed" me, the bass was muddy and lacking imho. Of course, it may have been originally mixed this way but you'd think one of the Atmos gurus could take a stab at it.
Agreed…
Maybe if this one sells well enough, they’ll revisit the others in Atmos.
Money talks 🤑

Mine got delivered yesterday as well (ordered from Bol.com, pretty much the Dutch Amazon). The mix seems to have much better separation than the streaming version. But I did not do a direct a-b comparison. Very unimpressed by the packaging though. You would think that with all the wealth of material they had to do the big fancy box, a somewhat fancier booklet would have been possible. But as the sticker clearly states: this is the audiophile version!

Mine got delivered yesterday as well (ordered from Bol.com, pretty much the Dutch Amazon). The mix seems to have much better separation than the streaming version. But I did not do a direct a-b comparison. Very unimpressed by the packaging though. You would think that with all the wealth of material they had to do the big fancy box, a somewhat fancier booklet would have been possible. But as the sticker clearly states: this is the audiophile version!
Mine has just arrived and when I opened the package I thought I'd been sent a CD by mistake, luckily not!

Purchased in Dublin yesterday but will be Tuesday before I can give it a spin.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
And of course the stereo track is 24/48 not 24/44.1 as that’s not in the BD spec. Also unless it’s a painted label you should see right through the disc pretty easily, all my Universal Studios BDs have minimal artwork on the disc so you can clearly see lights when you hold them up.

Attachments

• IMG_9200.jpeg
    IMG_9200.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back