Prince - Diamonds and Pearls (BD-A w/Atmos mix of studio album / box set with BD-V live material and videos) October 27 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to hard disc in player-Dolby Atmos.
Surround sound wise, I am having trouble getting my brain and ears locked in.
I'll give it a play through but seems a little too strong in (left rear, surround backs and heights).
I can adjust, if needed.
It certainly is an aggressive ATMOS mix.
On screen does not have track title, I would like that, for now looking at booklet.
71k3I5KZBwL._SL1500_.jpg

Also listening now.
Listening now to hard disc in player-Dolby Atmos.
Surround sound wise, I am having trouble getting my brain and ears locked in.
Same here! The mixing approach seems to vary from song to song. What I really like so far, is that there are sounds mixed in between Front Left and Surround Left sometimes, creating some sort of phantom left. Fidelity overall is not the best though, to my ears. The vocal on Money Don't Matter Tonight seems overly distorted, more so than on the original I think. Some songs sound great in terms of creative surround productions, like Live 4 Love. I'm not ready to vote just yet.

Giving it the first spin. I don’t have Atmos but this is folding down (or whatever it is it does technically) to 5.1 nicely. Based on some of the complaints I’ve read on the poll thread, maybe this works better in 5.1 than Atmos?

Packaging is thin, to say the least. Not even any credit for who did the Atmos mix? And not even any track graphics on screen. Just the cover photo.

But sounds great to me so far!

Giving it the first spin. I don’t have Atmos but this is folding down (or whatever it is it does technically) to 5.1 nicely. Based on some of the complaints I’ve read on the poll thread, maybe this works better in 5.1 than Atmos?

Packaging is thin, to say the least. Not even any credit for who did the Atmos mix? And not even any track graphics on screen. Just the cover photo.

Yeah, someone voted a "1" 😬; not sure about that vote at all, I felt a "9" vote was where it hit me, but I also only have 5.1 and sounds pretty good to me. Surprised there're aren't more votes on this one so far.

And yes, that packaging got me good (er, Bad); the plastic backing holding the disc was broken in three places and bent.

I agree with this "first spin" analysis. I too found the packaging/credits lacking as well as the "on screen" data or lack there of. I did enjoy the Atmos mix and the recording itself was the last of the "great" Price albums in my opinion. Glad that I purchased it but there could have been some very basic additions that really would have elevated this release...

Yeah, someone voted a "1" 😬; not sure about that vote at all, I felt a "9" vote was where it hit me, but I also only have 5.1 and sounds pretty good to me. Surprised there're aren't more votes on this one so far.

And yes, that packaging got me good (er, Bad); the plastic backing holding the disc was broken in three places and bent.
The sparse packaging and lack of credits seems very Prince.

I’m not all the way through it but I’m leaning to a “10”. Fidelity is great. Surround mix is very playful and suits the album. Prince might even have approved although I suspect he didn’t care for the format. He didn’t seem to even be interested in remasters, let alone remixes.

It’s not my favorite Prince album, so that’s the only reason I might not give it a “10”. What would I give Sign o The Times or Parade should we ever get those in surround if I give this one a “10”?

Then again, we might not get those. But the release of this on physical media rather than just streaming is very encouraging. Hope it sells well!

The “1” vote was weird. But at least he left a comment. Even if it was his first post ever. And he talked about his 11.1.4 system but then said he’ll stick with his SACDs that “always” hit the spot. As if there aren’t any weak surround mixes released on SACD? 🤷‍♂️

I agree with this "first spin" analysis. I too found the packaging/credits lacking as well as the "on screen" data or lack there of. I did enjoy the Atmos mix and the recording itself was the last of the "great" Price albums in my opinion. Glad that I purchased it but there could have been some very basic additions that really would have elevated this release...
Considering how vocal he was about owning the publishing rights to his music catalog, how did they manage to release this? What happens to music catalog rights when an artist like Prince dies?

Back