Pearl Jam "Dark Matter" CD+BD-A w/ Atmos (4/19/2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get a grasp on Dark Matter.
Listening now to the 2.0 rip in FLAC, 24bit/48Khz, highly compressed with DR's of all 5's and one 6, ouch.
Not that I would expect anything different from Pearl Jam.
Looking at my playback spectrum analyzer while tracks are playing, completely brickwalled.
Real listening, nice stereo separation, vocals dead center along with a spread out bass and drums, right and left guitars and organ.
I grew up listening to stereo Pearl Jam.
Is it possible that I prefer this squashed stereo mix over the more open ATMOS mix?
More studying needs to be done.
R-30440864-1713776933-1378.jpg

Trying to get a grasp on Dark Matter.
Listening now to the 2.0 rip in FLAC, 24bit/48Khz, highly compressed with DR's of all 5's and one 6, ouch.
Not that I would expect anything different from Pearl Jam.
Looking at my playback spectrum analyzer while tracks are playing, completely brickwalled.
Real listening, nice stereo separation, vocals dead center along with a spread out bass and drums, right and left guitars and organ.
I grew up listening to stereo Pearl Jam.
Is it possible that I prefer this squashed stereo mix over the more open ATMOS mix?
More studying needs to be done.
View attachment 104719
It's art, there is no right or wrong. Which ever mix you enjoy is all good. Thankfully PJ gave us the choice :~)

Wow, what a treat to go from the ghastly stereo mastering of Dark Matter to the Blu-ray that arrived at my door just one hour ago from Denmark along with a CDN$21 charge from Customs Canada for ordering three titles at the same time to save on shipping (Big Big Train and Moon Safari) lol.

The first Pearl Jam album with both fidelity and dynamics in over 25 years. Wowza. Loving both the mix and the sonics so far, looking forward to a full listen through this week-end but having listened to Wreckage and Dark Matter, I'm sold!

EDIT - actually one complaint, as with many Atmos mixes the centre channel is pretty dormant. In the title track it has some very quiet reverb of the lead vocal right up to the final minute when it adds the drum track and some actual vocals. Peculiar choice when listened to alone but as a whole mix it just builds the crescendo of the song. I do like more lead vocals in the centre, small complaint though considering how much active movement there is in this mix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.

I too hope we get TrueHD Atmos releases of the back catalog.

Enjoyed the review and as 4-earedwonder said great setup! Those speakers look like old school Cylon's designed them which I think is cool. I've been on the fence with this one, but I may just have to pick it up.

Back