Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Found this on German uDiscover site, pre-order live at jpc.de as well:
DPbigCUT.jpg

Key points:
- Deluxe box featuring a 2024 remix of the full album by Dweezil Zappa alongside a 2024 remaster on vinyl and CD
- additional Live content such as a previously unreleased concert from Montreux 1971 and the live album “In Concert ‘72”
- Blu Ray Audio will hold rare 1974 U.S. Quad mixes and three tracks in 5.1 audio from 2012, but also a brand new Atmos mix of the full album
- a book of approximately 60 pages, comprised of brand new liner notes, rare photographs and images

BD-A tracklist:
Highway Star (6.06) *2024 Atmos mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (5.27) *2024 Atmos mix
Pictures Of Home (5.18) *2024 Atmos mix
Never Before (4.01) *2024 Atmos mix
Smoke On The Water (6.23) *2024 Atmos mix
Lazy (7.20) *2024 Atmos mix
Space Truckin’ (4.33) *2024 Atmos mix
When A Blind Man Cries (B-Side) (3:26) *2024 Atmos mix

Highway Star (6.05) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (4.51) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Pictures Of Home (5.04) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Never Before (3.58) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Smoke On The Water (5.39) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Lazy (7.21) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Space Truckin’ (4.33) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix

When A Blind Man Cries (3.29) *5.1 Mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (4.51) *5.1 Mix
Lazy (7.21) *5.1 Mix

I wonder who is doing the mentioned Atmos mix?

So they are tying up the US quad mix to a bigger box set, that is tied up with vinyl which is great but actually a different market.

Then putting in three tracks in 5.1 from the DVD-A which later appeared on SACD? Do I have that right?

I think they are really milking it here especially with the “In Concert” album being included. We’ve had that album in several issues already. I think it’s BBC live (two venues) which is Made in Japan type of set but with no Smoke on the Water included.

Then a ‘71 live recording, could that be exceptional?

Last edited:
Great album, that I don't own in any surround format, so there's definitely some appeal to me. Not for the price though.

Dweezil's solo stuff appears to be mixed by him, so it seems to be a skillset he has. https://www.discogs.com/release/1777321-Dweezil-Zappa-Go-With-What-You-Know

It's odd they didn't mention who did the atmos mix. That matters to most surround enthusiasts and certain engineers earn automatic buys, although ultimately the quality of the mix matters more.

Well this appears to be a Warner project, and not a “Purple” Europe type of thing.

I still think that this set seems a little bloated. But getting the US quad mix out is a good thing so long as the mastering is nice.

It's on the German UDiscoverMusic store, which is Universal's D2C store, so... No. not a Warner U.S. project.
Record label on that vinyl (pictured) says Warner records. So I thought that meant Warner Music?

Wow!
Well, I really want the master copy of the US quad mix finally!

There's the weird marketing desperation on display here for sure. Vinyl?! No thanks. Not into paying for a weird retro study of generation loss and I think vinyl as novelty is distasteful.

Someone is gonna have to say something specific about a surround remix of the In Concert '72 album or I'll have to assume this is more brochure speak and it's just another copy of the original stereo to pad this box.

I didn't know Dweezil was getting into mixing. And boom! Straight to Atmos?! Interested for sure. I would like to think there's potential to better the original US quad mix. That would be great but not holding my breath for that and ultimately if the US quad mix still rules them all, that's just fine.

The presentation feels sloppy (the desperate marketing driven thing again) with novelty vinyl included but then just 3 stray tracks from just one of the other 2 surround mixes. One would think they would include the UK quad and the entire 2001 5.1 remix. And of course this is recycling of previous lazy work which looks worse! (They're the bonus tracks from the 2012 SACD release.) And then gouging on the price with that. If they stated outright that In Concert was mixed to quad, 5.1, or 7.1.4 from the original multitracks and included the full UK quad and 2001 5.1 remix it would be easy to buy.

Is this perhaps a release that will get a Rhino blu-ray standalone offering? It's hard to say. @ForagingRhino has stated that when quad mixes are offered up for Machine Head, the US quad mix will be offered up (specifically not the UK quad with the US quad). They also stated a few Atmos Blu-Rays should be coming out soon.

Preorder for the set (with the vinyl) is now available on Rhino's site.

It also ought to be made clear, as there was some ambiguity in the original post, the album is also getting a stereo remix alongside its Atmos offering.

Preorder for the set (with the vinyl) is now available on Rhino's site.
Thank you for that, ordered. $96.00 to Calif.
It isn't the first and it won't be the last Disc/LP bundle. The last one was the fantastic Yes Album, with the fantastic Atmos mix.
I looked through the complete Rhino For Sale site and they have quite a lot of Disc/LP bundles.

This album is one I have bought in many formats, in 1972 on cassette, then at Uni in '77 on SQ LP, then, CD, re-mastered CD, 5.1 SACD, the 25th Anniversary 2CD, and lastly the 40th Anniversary Box Set. It is synonymous with being 15! Am I insane to be eager to buy this set? ............... probably! :ROFLMAO:

I want a hard answer on the live sets! New surround mixes or just the original mixes repackaged?

What else bums me out is not seeing 50th anniversary releases of In Rock and Fireball preceding this. I imagine the mixes reflect the quality of the multitrack recordings and those albums are just what they are. Still...

$100 is a lot for an album that I have a decent-ish copy of with almost no other bones thrown in. What 7.1.4 mixes has Dweezil done that might sell me on it?

Last edited:
Back