HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - OVER-NITE SENSATION [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Frank Zappa - OVER-NITE SENSATION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
At long last, please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new 50th anniversary edition of the classic album "Over-nite Sensation" by Frank Zappa.
A favorite amongst Zappa fans, the album has been newly remixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos and presented here on Blu-Ray Audio alongside Zappa's original Quadraphonic mix, released for the first time since its original release in 1973! o_O

(y):)(n)

A1Oei2JOiaL._SL1500_.jpg

81g8ITlc7qL._SL1500_.jpg

Giving this a 10. Great CD content, also recorded very well. As far as the surround goes all tracks sound great and are mixed well with good channel use. To me the Quad takes the cake though. All instruments and vocals are highlighted better. Fantastic release although a bit pricy at $100 CDA delivered.

Great googly moogly! If I could vote 11, I would.

Don't have Atmos, but damn, the 5.1 mix is utterly phenomenal! Great fidelity and separation. Nice to finally have a good sounding quad version as well. The CDs are just packed to the brim with killer content. The live shows really cook.

This is my vote for release of the year, (at least until my Camel box shows up next week)

Giving this a 10. Great CD content, also recorded very well. As far as the surround goes all tracks sound great and are mixed well with good channel use. To me the Quad takes the cake though. All instruments and vocals are highlighted better. Fantastic release although a bit pricy at $100 CDA delivered.
I am going to have to change my position on this. The 7.1 coming from the Atmos is considerably better than the Quad. Just had to listen to both a few more times to come to that conclusion.

I like the Atmos mix however, the drums are too low in the mix and they do not project as they should like they do on both the stereo and quad mix. I still think it's worthy of 8 out of 10. The Quad mix is the winner for me and worth 9 out of 10 so I will give it a 9 based on Franks original quad mix.

I like the Atmos mix however, the drums are too low in the mix and they do not project as they should like they do on both the stereo and quad mix. I still think it's worthy of 8 out of 10. The Quad mix is the winner for me and worth 9 out of 10 so I will give it a 9 based on Franks original quad mix.
I'll be damned. I absolutely never noticed this on my Atmos listening. My mind was blown at how good it sounded. Different ears, systems, etc. All good.

If Waka/Wazoo was a 9.5 rounded up to a 10, then this is a solid 9.9

[enjoyed only the 5.1 mix]

Stayed true to the original stereo mix, maintaining the rough levels/presence of the various instruments and vocal parts. And yet there's a bunch of perfectly executed use of the surround field for vocals and various elements. Guitar leads are clear, playing around in the middle of the sound field, and never overblown/in-your-face-y. Drums sound big, although not a fan of the deep rumbly kick drum it was the most common mixing technique for the period. Frank was at the top of his game in the studio, and these two recent atmos/5.1 releases effortless carry his music capably into the 21st Century. This almost sounds like it was recorded yesterday, other than the few studio engineering choices that slightly age the end result.

Keep 'em coming Universal!

Last edited:
So far I've only listened to the quad mix , and what a wonder. Lots of quad panning and Humphrey's drumming on one track does a u shape surround thing.

I love the echo in spots , like Dinah-Moe Hum . This is a spectacular quad experience.
The mix goes all over the place at times...very Zappaesque.
So on the quad mix alone it's a Nine ...if I like the 5.0 I may up that rating.

This is Zappa at his peak ..and next up is the stellar Apostrophe...in quad!!

On the strength of the 5.1 mix this is a strong 9 with all the extra mixes there is no reason to drop that score. The stereo CDs on this Zappacked box this is just fantastic value.

I'll start off by saying that this is my favorite FZ album and actually my favorite album and album cover of all time by any artist.

All the extra content on the CDs in this release is unreal but on to the Blu-Ray...

FZ's original Quad (which I have heard before from a private rip) sounds so great here but the real star of this disc is the new 5.1 mix. Holy sheepshit this is unreal. The 5.1 mix that Karma Auger and Erich Gobel did for this one is one of the best I have ever heard if not THE BEST!! I may be biased because this is my favorite album but man oh man is this that great.

An absolute 10/10 from me all day long!!

Zappa-Over-Nite-Sensation.jpg

Back