Chic - first five albums streaming in Dolby Atmos! (Steven Wilson mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one anomaly in Chic's late-career slide was the title track to the soundtrack to the box-office flop Soup for One - this song really points the way for the direction they should've taken in the '80s, combining some of their classic sound with polyphonic synths and less of an emphasis on four-on-the-floor rhythms. If they could've captured this kind of lightning in a bottle more regularly at this time maybe they wouldn't have broken up.
Yeah it's a great song, and it did get great success in it's guise as a sample for Modjo's 'Lady (Hear Me Tonight)' at the break of the millennium. Heck that was massive over here, got to Number 1. I think I have it as a CD single somewhere. I'm sure Nile Rodgers must have earned a heap of royalties from that guitar hook...

I'll have to try and get that autobiography, sounds really interesting. I love the story I heard about the origins of Le Freak being written about being turned down by the doormen at Studio 54, having been invited by Grace Jones. Apparently the members of Chic went back to their apartment afterwards, had some champagne and then decided to go back to Studio 54 to start playing and singing "fuck off" to the doormen, which they changed to the "freak out" part of the song - which created a massive hit! 🤣

Here's hoping for lossless releases someday...

It's kind of funny because sadly I'm a bit underwhelmed at the quality of 90% of the streaming Atmos mixes (I think I'm a little spoiled by either "true" Atmos like INXS Kick or Tubular Bells for instance & high quality multi-channel DVD- Audio/SACD)...but I definitely noticed the quality of that Chic Atmos mini-album immediately. Especially the vocal interplay. What I didn't realize is that that was a Steven Wilson mix....but it stands out like a sore thumb among the run-of-the-mill offerings out there. Sure the bitrate for streaming Atmos is a pittance compared to the real thing off disc, but this guy makes the most of what he has to work with.

Take On Me is another great one i. I did knew that was his mix and again it stands out among almost all the other offerings.

Last edited:
Back