Chic - first five albums streaming in Dolby Atmos! (Steven Wilson mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it gets released on a BDA I'm in (after many years ignoring that genre! always like the tracks I'd heard though), Nile Rogers is a phenomenal musician. I'm not sure whether I'm going to the Cropredy Festival this year (going to Beautiful Days the following weekend), it all depends if there enough of us, but what a line up! Plus, it will be the last ever Strawbs gig.
1677535766326.png

If it gets released on a BDA I'm in (after many years ignoring that genre! always like the tracks I'd heard though), Nile Rogers is a phenomenal musician. I'm not sure whether I'm going to the Cropredy Festival this year (going to Beautiful Days the following weekend), it all depends if there enough of us, but what a line up! Plus, it will be the last ever Strawbs gig.
View attachment 89084
wHOa! What lineups! Trans-Atlantic Road Trip!

Now, if we could get some Donna Summer in Atmos
Diana Ross' 'Diana' - unfortunately not available in surround as far as I know.
There's a couple of really good Donna Summer tracks in Atmos (Bad Girls, Last Dance, Sunset People) and Diana Ross - Diana is in Atmos! :cool:

Just finished the 3 albums - wow really good! :phones So many good moments... Love the tap dancing moving around the height channels on 'My Feet Keep Dancing' on Risque. I freaking love disco! 🕺💃
Amazing. Just read this while listening from start of album and coincidentally two seconds later I had tap dancing round my head. Perfect timing.

Didn't Steven Wilson mention remixing Chic recently? These sound like they could be his work, with the vocals isolated in the center channel and heavy use of the heights.
Wonderful Atmos mix from Steven Wilson. I never liked disco, but with this mix... things get much better.

I have not listened to the whole three albums, but, at least with "Le Freak" the main vocals is not isolated in the center channel. Instead it is spread all around the whole floor speakers.
You get a kind of "inside the head" but not so penetrating as when it comes only from the sides. The main vocals even activate my Wides speakers, which have that vocals object as the only content.

Wish all Atmos mixes were like these.

From Steven's Facebook page:

My Dolby Atmos remixes of the first three classic Chic albums are now up on streaming services. Chic (1977), C'est Chic (1978) and Risqué (1979) were all remixed from the multitracks with feedback and approval from Nile Rogers (with the exception of one track on the debut album for which the tapes could not be found). As ever these are extremely faithful to the original stereo mixes in terms of balance and sonics, just now in super 3D. These albums are pure seventies disco / pop gold, enjoy!

Chic (1977), C'est Chic (1978) and Risqué (1979) were all remixed from the multitracks with feedback and approval from Nile Rogers...
Now that Nile is surround-aware, he and Bob Clearmountain need to get together for an Atmos remix of Let's Dance. Or just let Steven do it!

Now that Nile is surround-aware, he and Bob Clearmountain need to get together for an Atmos remix of Let's Dance. Or just let Steven do it!
I admit this is far outside the realm of possibility, but I’d love for Steven to say to Niles, “What do you think about us finding the tapes for Jeff Beck’s Flash and not only doing Atmos, but adding in bonus tracks and somehow rehabilitating the reputation of this album you did with him?”

And yeah... I’m all-in for an Atmos version of Let’s Dance.

Chic was very popular during my DJ days. I'd love to add these three Surround mixes to my library. I still have these on vinyl, and recently thinking of adding stereo CD copies. If these surround mixes are set to be released on physical discs, all the better.

No word yet, rumors of, a lossless BluRay release of these three?

Last edited:
Back