• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fair Deal on Tates

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already gone! I don't get why anyone who has one (let alone two) would ever want to part with them. He should have asked more, double even!

I suspect that in most cases these units (as well as the S&IC) only come up when the original owner passes away. Sadly that is becoming a common occurrence now that we original "Quadies" are getting older.

Yuck! There is no good price. Things are ticking time bombs, I'll never see any of the money I put into mine ever again, nor will I ever see my tate again. $1000 is a lot to spend on something that has irreplaceable chips that can die at any moment.

I've lost way too much money on "vintage" equipment. Nothing was ever built to last.

I suppose I ought to sell the tate remote I have, as I doubt I'll ever see my tate again, nor find one in a reasonable price range.

This does not exactly instill confidence: "They may need servicing and are sold as-is."

Doug

Last edited:
Yuck! There is no good price. Things are ticking time bombs, I'll never see any of the money I put into mine ever again, nor will I ever see my tate again. $1000 is a lot to spend on something that has irreplaceable chips that can die at any moment.

I've lost way too much money on "vintage" equipment. Nothing was ever built to last.

I suppose I ought to sell the tate remote I have, as I doubt I'll ever see my tate again, nor find one in a reasonable price range.
I've only ever had one chip go bad and that was on a unit that I had ran for forty years! Coupling capacitors should be replaced (with film types) in the Composer. The Tate II has film type coupling capacitors installed already. It helps to be handy with a soldering iron.

Those two units look minty! With two you have a back up if anything should ever go wrong. I suspect that with proper care they will outlive all of us!

If worse ever came to worse they could be run as a basic non-logic decoder. I used the Audionics 106A for years and it sounded very good, with no logic and no blend at all.

Already gone! I don't get why anyone who has one (let alone two) would ever want to part with them. He should have asked more, double even!

I suspect that in most cases these units (as well as the S&IC) only come up when the original owner passes away. Sadly that is becoming a common occurrence now that we original "Quadies" are getting older.

If I didn't have two already, ironically one silver, one black and one remote, I would have probably sprung!

I'm in the middle of looking at what bench equipment I will buy...that's been my latest audio hobby joy...working toward getting my bench going and brushing off the rust from the electrical engineering degree lurking in the brain fog somewhere.

I digress....that was a nice deal for the Tates.

Well, it's probably a ticking time bomb anyway! 😅

You should probably send it my way, just to be safe. I'll burden the frustration of old, dying, vintage equipment!!
There's nothing to send. It went to be serviced. Over 10 years ago. I bought a dolby board for more chips. Over 5 years ago. The guy is now in the hospital. It's never coming back, I'll never own a tate again, I'll never see my tate again. Just another example of many where I buy vintage equipment, and all I get for it is grief and a loss of money.

There's nothing to send. It went to be serviced. Over 10 years ago. I bought a dolby board for more chips. Over 5 years ago. The guy is now in the hospital. It's never coming back, I'll never own a tate again, I'll never see my tate again. Just another example of many where I buy vintage equipment, and all I get for it is grief and a loss of money.
That's an unhappy circumstance @ArmyOfQuad. I feel bad you have experienced that...it definitely zaps the joy out of it.

I nave a Tate II with a dead right-front channel. It’s on my list of “shit I gotta do” but not at the top. I probably won’t put it back in my system since I have a SM, so once I think it’s working well, I’ll put it up here.

But don’t hold your breath. My laser disc player has been spread all over my bench for a month now, and there’s a fair amount of other stuff that also needs attention just to get the room fully functional. Fixing stuff for sale is low on the list.

Last edited:
You cam across Tate 2 chips on a Dolby board? I have bought a few and only found Tate 1 chips. My Tate 2 has "muddy" sound in all modes except mono and bypass, i think its the chips :( . My Tate 1 however is doing great and has two sets of spare chips. :) Thinking of selling the Tate 2 unless i can find more Tate 2 chips.

Can you tell me which are the tate I chips and which are the Tate II chips?
Were the Tate II chips fixed as opposed to the first set?
I know national semiconductor made one set....what should I look for to identify? Should know this already but I cant recall.
Or are you talking about models the original Tate opposed to the common Tate II decoder?

I should also ask which chip the composer used the first one I would presume...

Can you tell me which are the tate I chips and which are the Tate II chips?
Were the Tate II chips fixed as opposed to the first set?
I know national semiconductor made one set....what should I look for to identify? Should know this already but I cant recall.
Or are you talking about models the original Tate opposed to the common Tate II decoder?

I should also ask which chip the composer used the first one I would presume...
The National chips were the originals. The Exar chips replaced them, they were both used in the S&IC. According to Steve Kennedy's post (here someplace) about half of the Space & Image Composers produced used the National chips the other half used the Exar chips. About half of the decoders using the National chips were returned for the "upgrade" to the Exar chips.

I have Composers using both. What I notice is that with the National chips you (on some material) hear more artifacts, sort of a pumping but not exactly pumping. Turning down the separation control a bit fixes it. With the Exar's I rarely hear any artifacts, I seldom have to use the separation control at all unless I want to hear mono through all the speakers. The directional display looks a bit more active with the National chips.

The Tate II would have been designed using the Exar chips right from the start, no provision to reduce separation with the exception of the mono switch. To my ear the S&IC produces smother decoding. The Tate II is faster, tweaked for higher separation. The output chips in the Tate II are colour coded (graded) with paint dots apparently to indicate their maximum separation ability.

Thanks.

So according to Furui above youll only find the first chips the National brand if you are lucky on some dolby boards. So Dolby did not repurpose the Exars.

Thanks.

So according to Furui above youll only find the first chips the National brand if you are lucky on some dolby boards. So Dolby did not repurpose the Exars.
As far as we know. No boards have been found (by anyone here) using the Exar chips but that is not to say that they don't exist. We just don't know for sure.

There's a Marantz dude out west that I am in his queue. Problem is, I think he will die before he gets to me, or, worse, die while my stuff is there.

Back