SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if these will eventually be available separately. Courts and Spark and For The Roses are automatic purchases. The other much less so. If say Ladies Of The Canyon had been included instead of one of the others...

Probably not, based on previous Chicago and DB boxsets, but you never know.

Holy hell, just found this thread. Never have I slapped the buy button so fast, I was gonna be happy to get the MoFi SACDs but this is way better.

Hissing in quad? Incredible
That is a very good point, the upcoming stereo MOFI SACD's, I do have the MOFI BLUE SACD, but this new Rhino bunch makes getting the Court And Spark stereo MOFI obsolete?
Even me, who is a MOFI completist, I believe I will pass on Court And Spark, maybe?

Does anybody ordered from Rhino store to Europe? Do I have to pay additional VAT on delivery?
And what carrier they use for international shipping?
In Finland custom office send message and we do "paper work". If one claims a friend from USA called Rhino send Blu-ray as a gift, receiver would not have to pay VAT nor duties ;-)

That is a very good point, the upcoming stereo MOFI SACD's, I do have the MOFI BLUE SACD, but this new Rhino bunch makes getting the Court And Spark stereo MOFI obsolete?
Even me, who is a MOFI completist, I believe I will pass on Court And Spark, maybe?
Passing on Mofi's "Court & Spark" and "Hissing". I was not impressed with "Blue" SACD compared to the DCC Gold CD.

YEP FR- MIND BLOWING!!! What an understatement! Two quad mixes that have never seen the light of day, added to a couple of classic quadradiscs. If these were made available in the standard every three month scenario it would take a year to get them all -and that's if there was one Joni every cycle. I have all the Rhino quad box sets and they are my absolute favs. I much prefer the mini album concept as opposed to the easily breakable plastic cases. I recently found a nice vinyl copy of the Miles/Aisles "double" live album and was impressed with the wonderfully dynamic sound. My immediate thought was "how can records can sound so good"! This one could be really great in quad. Please Rhino, lets have a couple more quad box's this year. Thanks again.

I am hoping if these Joni boxsets do well maybe Asylum will give us a boxset of Quad Eagles albums. And dam you Rod Stewart let Warners/Rhino release Quad mix of "Atlantic Crossing" already. The only thing I don't like about this album is Rod took his wife's suggestion, Britt Ekland, to do a fast side and a slow side, I think album would have flowed better tracks mixed.

Attachments

• Rod.jpg
    Rod.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
I can’t see them doing a Reprise Years box because I’m not sure what can really be done with Song to a Seagull and Clouds in terms of a good multichannel mix, but I do hope they do standalone releases of Ladies of the Canyon and Blue, with new quad and Atmos mixes 😁

I’m dying to hear a good surround mix of the studio version of Woodstock.
My favorite albums are from the Reprise years, I hope they get around to making that happen in quad! Song To A Segull, in particular, could use a new mix (stereo or otherwise) to replace what transpired as part of the recent Reprise box, that was terrible!

It's nice when a record company actually takes care of their masters as WEA has, this is what can happen. Nice job, Universal...

There's no need to diss Universal, they've been among Atmos' biggest supporters and put out tons of archival titles in the new format. For instance, nearly all the SDE Surround Series releases have been UMG-controlled titles.
I appreciate what they've been putting out so far. I'm referring to the complete incompetence they displayed in how they stored the master tapes they owned and inherited from so many other labels which were needlessly destroyed.

I think that people need to contextualize this release in a few respects:

1) This is released in conjunction with Joni Mitchell's reissue series she's been doing the last few years, remastering her back catalog, pulling out unreleased and live tracks, etc. Surround sound physical releases of any of Joni's first four albums should be expected to follow the same formula, and would be released together (if at all) as part of The Reprise Albums (1968–1971).

2) This is Rhino's first foray into creating new quad mixes. This is new waters to them, and it makes me wonder if they will create new quad mixes to patch up surround sound sets, to accompany Atmos mixes, or both. Is there also a possibility of quad mixes being created for stereo+quad (no Atmos) standalone albums? I think it's possible, but unlikely. Given Atmos's prevalence in the streaming world, I don't understand from an economic perspective why one would create a quad mix instead of an Atmos mix.

My order has shipped! So a few days until it reaches this side of the pond. :)

These Quadios are allowing me to get the CD4 albums I drooled after a student, but couldn't afford the kit to play them, and the bonus of Atmos mixes thrown in as well.
What are the chances of no import duty or fees in the UK for this?

Back