May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love a quadio of Dylan especially Desire.
Dylan's catalog is controlled by Sony.

There was an SACD Dylan box, though most of them were 2ch. Desire was presented in 2ch only. Six albums (7 SACD's) were 5.1. These titles were available separately, BUT ONLY the 1st remaster pressings were SACD. Later pressings were 2ch CD ONLY!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/170...ue-Series-The-Limited-Edition-Hybrid-SACD-Set

Desire was released on SQ LP back in the day, which I bought. Nashville Skyline as well. Planet Waves was a CD-4 LP. Bought them all.

side note: currently listening to Dylan's Budokan box 📦 , Japan 4 CD.

......There was an SACD Dylan box, though most of them were 2ch. Desire was presented in 2ch only. Six albums (7 SACD's) were 5.1. These titles were available separately, BUT ONLY the 1st remaster pressings were SACD. Later pressings were 2ch CD ONLY! ....

Wow QL! I did not know that the later issues of the box were plain old stereo CDs! Interesting. Sony really stuck it to the SACD crowd with a large poker, the way they dumped their own format. It still pisses me off when I think about it

Wow QL! I did not know that the later issues of the box were plain old stereo CDs! Interesting. Sony really stuck it to the SACD crowd with a large poker, the way they dumped their own format. It still pisses me off when I think about it
Perhaps I should have been more concise. Single album versions were CD only after 1st pressing.

Not aware there were any versions of the box set other than first run. There was also a promo only 3 SACD version w/same artwork as box:

https://www.discogs.com/release/10960541-Bob-Dylan-Bob-Dylan-Revisited-The-Reissue-Series

Dylan has "character", I think that he sounds great!
I have near perfect pitch, it's both a blessing and a curse. And it makes tuneless wailing like Dylan's singing painful to listen to, I literally have to turn it off or go out of the room if someone puts it on above background volume.

I think Grateful Dead is likely somewhere down the queue for either individual blu rays, or a box set of Steven Wilson mixes. Given that Wilson said there will be physical editions a year back that haven't materialized yet, I feel Rhino's Atmos program is a good candidate for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenwilson/s/3L2QG0JS3f

Agreed, JonUrban. Specifically, in my mind (at least) it's unfortunate that *hybrid* SACD's didn't become ubiquitous since they could be played by most anyone owning a physical disc player. I understand there are often multiple reasons why a consumer audio (or video) format fails, but man...hybrid SACD's with a MCH layer are "the bomb" IMO. Nothing against Foraging Rhino and all the other folks at Rhino though who are doing more than their share to keep multi channel recorded music alive/relevant - many thanks for all the excellent Quadio releases so far, and I look forward to what you'll be offering in the future also!

Agreed, JonUrban. Specifically, in my mind (at least) it's unfortunate that *hybrid* SACD's didn't become ubiquitous since they could be played by most anyone owning a physical disc player.
Honestly, I know he gets talked about a lot, but Steven Wilson's accompanying new stereo mixes alongside their surround sound ones is what really drove me to surround sound. It honestly is a bit of a no-brainer to me: If you're releasing these new surround sound mixes, why not stick new stereo mixes on the stereo side as well? I honestly feel it could have been a recipe for success, had they approached it that way.

Back