Discuss: Do you think "The Joker" and "Band on the Run" Q8's use the SQ-intended Master tape?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
the_joker.jpgband_onna_run.jpg

I've been thinking.... you know what these two tapes have in common? They are both really aggressive, four-corner Quad mixes. So aggressive in fact that there is often nothing more than a lot of silence in the rear speakers. They are both relatively early Capitol titles and Capitol did dip it's toes into the Quad Pool with John Lennon's Imagine coming out on SQ LP. There's also the legend that the US Q8 of Dark Side of the Moon was created with an SQ-encoded tape.

What if The Joker and Band on the Run had been intended for SQ release as well? Wouldn't that necessitate an incredibly aggressive, four-channel mix that would then get all boogered up through the SQ process? That was my thoughts on the subject. I can't think of any other Capitol Q8 that features as aggressive a mix as these two titles. Most of the Capitol Quads aren't very Quad at all and simply remove the drums from the front channels and pipe that to the rear.

Back