Would you purchase new Quadio releases as lossless downloads?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both for me. But it depends.

Usually I prefer physical media. If it is to expensive like those big Rush, Kiss, Who's Next and Floyd DSOTM hyperdeluxe
editions I prefer a download possibility when there is no standalone BD offered.
Or if releases are out of print and second hand offers have filthy high prices. Then a download is a good alternative.
I've seen Toto's IV SACD at 250$US. This money will never go to the musicians nor the record companies.
Offers like this I skip like those overpriced boxes.
Unfortunately in the case of Kiss & Rush ... there is no alternative.

Streaming is no alternative for me. Lossy. Different topic.

Downloads should be at a lower price than the the media. 20% off to a standalone BDA as example.
Glad to see that IAA and sourroundmusicone are offering lossless surround downloads as a choice (& some others too).

Summarised (not complete, just what came into my mind)

Physical Media:

+holding it in your hands, booklet and more
+it's yours
+can be sold, can be lend, can be given away
+BDA can contain nice visuals which require a of of space
+SACD is very easy. Just put it in your player and MCH is played! Works without telly.

-can rot (I have several blu-rays, that are unreadable, have errors)
-can have errors even in new condition (several discs to)
-can be awful authored / terrible to navigate (DVD and many BD)

=>better to back up the discs anyway, not easy to do for everyone

Downloads:

+could be at a better/lower price than a physical product.
+some offers are lossless and the physical release has only DD or DTS (mainly DVD media).
+could be easier to obtain when ordering in certain countries (like Garry in Australia) because of exorbitant shipping cost (plus customs, tax).

+-FLAC is easier to handle compared to Atmos MKV

-artwork? booklet? You have to print one yourself ... if there is a PDF as it should be. Credits are important for me to read.
-can't be sold/lend/given away due to licensing.
-can be complicated to handle for those that aren't used to it. Requires a computer and some knowledge.
-data could be lost if you don't care about backing up your purchases.

=>you have to make backups as well!

So there are advantages and disadvantages for both.

Blu-Rays seem to be a problem. I've thousands of CDs, no problems so far. Only one DVD I can remember had a problem
out of the box but no ageing observed up to today.

A different thing are CD-R/DVD-R. A backup could be more unreliable as the original disc.

Back