SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to hear more details on the ‘Miles of Aisles’ and ‘For the Roses’ Quad and Atmos mixes please. The L.A. Express was one of my fav bands from those days.

IMG_0839.jpeg

I’d like to hear more details on the ‘Miles of Aisles’ and ‘For the Roses’ Quad and Atmos mixes please. The L.A. Express was one of my fav bands from those days.

View attachment 104718
Thanks for the album recommendation, looks like it will be a fun listen!

BTW, I agree the band on Miles of Aisles is great, especially on the funky version of Woodstock.

Few more observations....

The Sonics are so clean and strong. For a quick comparison listen to the bass-line in Twisted on C&S. The CD-4 version is mud compared the new re-issued Quad.
I much prefer the Quad to the Atmos on both C&S and HOSL.
The Atmos on MOA is like standing in the back row of the venue. Not a bad sound at all, just very different from the Quad and Stereo. Works well for some simpler songs but when the LA Express is in full kick the Quad is much better.
I like the Atmos over the Quad on FTR.

YMMV.

Aren't we due another Santana release this year? Borboletta?

50th anniversary is in October of this year, as is the 50th of Billy Joel's Streetlife Serenade, and Herbie Hancock's Thrust is in September - I think those are the most likely candidates for later this year from Sony Japan because they're all artists who've had other quad SACDs from Sony Japan in recent years.

Steretape may have been sold but tapes were still being made in the late seventies, under that brand name.
That's how I remember it as well. And for a time they were reissuing titles that had previously only been out in 3-3/4 IPS at 7-1/2 IPS without even altering the speed notation on the box. Some of them had stickers saying "Now 7 1/2 IPS 19 CMS" (here's my personal Joni reel: https://www.discogs.com/release/7976480-Joni-Mitchell-Ladies-Of-The-Canyon) but I also have a couple boxes containing the faster tapes with no printed indication whatsoever of the correct speed. I've got several Elton Johns at both speeds.

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that I was buying reels from Stereotape/The Reel Society until very, very shortly before the advent of the CD.

This just arrived as part of a genuinely incredible day of mail:
The Joni Set, the new 4K of Andrei Tarkovsky’s Nostalghia, and my new Colorado Vanity Plates (GIZZARD, in honor of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, my fav band).

Between these and the afterglow of Phish at the Sphere I’m over the damn moon

Last edited:
This just arrived as part of a genuinely incredible day of mail:
The Joni Set, the new 4K of Andrei Tarkovsky’s Nostalghia, and my new Colorado Vanity Plates (GIZZARD, in honor of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, my fav band).

Between these and the afterglow of Phish at the Sphere I’m over the damn moon
Hope your amp don’t blow a channel right out on you!
:p:D:eek::oops:

Back