The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my most memorable nights was at Chicago's west side venue Fitgeralds. It was
Lonnie Brooks 60th Birthday and his son Ronnie Baker Brooks was playing with him, I can't remember if son Wayne was there that night or not. :(
Everyone was in "high" spirits that night with Lonnie doing all his classic axe work and covering much of his then fairly recent album Satisfaction Guaranteed. Young Ronnie was walking across the table tops while playing for everyone and flirting with all the girls at his feet.
Too bad we all have to get old !

A blues band was my first live concert I just finished high school and had tickets to see Canned Heat in 1971 they were 3 dollars at the Portland Sports Arena.Joe Bonamassa is a favorite of mine and he came to the Florida theater in Jacksonville around 2008 this was before his tickets got real expensive for the good seats.The one who really suprised me was Jonny Lang I think he was only about 15 at the time,he opened for Aerosmith.

.The one who really suprised me was Jonny Lang I think he was only about 15 at the time,he opened for Aerosmith.
Wow, I saw Jonny Lang at about the same time at Chicagos down town House Of Blues.
Here's this little kid singing, playing, and bringing the house down. It was so long ago I can't remember who he opened for, it may have been Little Feat buuuuuuutttt?

A shame they stepped all over Buddy's recording like that.
I've seen him play a number of times around Chicago over the decades including
his own Legends club. That sure as heck isn't the way it sounds live.
I saw Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck on the same bill at The Masonic, SF I think in 2019, before the Covid.
Carlos Santana came and played 2 songs with Buddy, Carlos Santana cannot play the blues, at least that night.

Regarding the Sweet Tea album, the first thing I thought of was it had this very heavy Jack White distorted guitar sound, like no other Buddy Guy albums I have heard before.

He is such a great artist, just looked him up and he's 87 now. Unfortunately I've never been able to see him perform either (got loads of his albums & the JSP SACD), he has been a big influence on a lot of guitarists, including E.C.
I’ve seen him three times. Have the string from his black and white polka dot guitar that broke during show at the Newport in Columbus.

I needed a break from all this new music, when that happens I always come home to the blues.
I own all 11 of the JSP BLUES RECORDINGS, and all of them are great.
Carey Bell-Harpslinger. Released 2004.
5.1 SACD DSD64 rip DSF file. DR's are 10, 11's, 12's, 13.
View attachment 105154
What do you think of the Lowell Fulson disc? I quite like it.

I like it. Funny, I actually have that as next to play, not a bad one in the lot.
The very first JSP 5.1 SACD was Bryther Smith, actually was maybe one of my first 10 for sure, surround discs.
Then within about 5 years I was able to get all of them.
Deitra Farr I think was the last I got to complete the set.
I actually went back and forth with some emails of the owner of JSP, told him how everyone loves the 11 recordings and where any new ever going to come out, very nice guy, says he appreciated the comments and he would love to but the expense vs the selling, he just couldn't do it anymore.
Here is the link to his site, he does sell very good assortment of stereo CD's.
https://www.jsprecords.com/

I needed a break from all this new music, when that happens I always come home to the blues.
There's so many compilations of great blues available.

The Best Of Chess Records And Associated Labels (At least 3 CD's full)
Chicago Blues (Discs 1,2,&30
Alligator Records xxth Anniversary Collection. (OMG there's like a new one every 5 years since the 20th) AKA Genuine House Rockin Music. "Hound Dog Taylor & The HouseRockers were the very first band to record for Alligator, and the source of our “Genuine Houserockin' Music” slogan."
There's just SO much more.

Back