What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the topic at hand.

SQ ATOM HEART MOTHER (single inventory-EMI), probably for a couple of years anyway.The original British EMI QUAD had an SQ logo on the front album cover, plus a quadraphonic indication on the rear.This disc was still sealed but I took a chance as the spine had the Q4 SHVL # .
Some thing to watch out for when checking out BRITISH EMI releases of ATOM, and WYWH discs.

20150820_072956.jpg20150820_073006.jpg20150820_073023.jpg20150820_073039.jpg20150820_073059.jpg20150820_073140.jpg20150820_073134.jpg

Thanks for that info Fizzywiggs41, it's one more thing to look for inour local record shops and is almost a hidden quad.

Also of note (if you should come across one, still) Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here was for a time SQ single inventory.

Ordered my quad copy from Beggars Banquet in London (BRITISH COPY) but when it came it was black shrink wrapped with the circular robot hand sticker on the shrinkwrap, but NO indication it was the quad copy and no way to verify unless you removed that black wrap.Immediately I assumed it was stereo but upon opening it , sure enough quad.

Perhaps even DSOTM was tried in a single inventory manner in Britain, for a time.....who knows, something to watch for I think.

Hey Fred, nice to see all your recent quads! You can tell which ones were for the UK market with all the stickers on the jackets. The ones without must have travelled in a personal collection from North America, unless you bought them on the bay. Here is my latest Japanese addition, to replace a well worn dollar pile US copy.
Edgar1.jpgEdgar2.jpgEdgar3.jpg
Fred, next time I see any CBS quads with the glued on rim labels, I will figger out how to photograph and post it. I checked all my Columbia quads but must have lost the ones I remember in my last intercity move.

Hi Jaybird100
I just done a quick listen as it says it is a demo disc and the first side has a nice Japanese lady describing what the 4 channel sound enviroment is doing on side1 live jazzy band on stage and then sound affects at a air port at a train station that sort of thing, then the last 2 the pacific ocean with hawaiian music very nice and then a classical music at the end and on side 2. instrumental jazzy band movie theme music.
Bill

Gotta get me some Andy Williams, the market is being bought up! Memories.... recalling all those TV Specials of his I saw as a kid when we received 2 or 3 over the air channels. Actually, he was a good singer and his wife was Claudine.....

Hey Fred, nice to see all your recent quads! You can tell which ones were for the UK market with all the stickers on the jackets. The ones without must have travelled in a personal collection from North America, unless you bought them on the bay. Here is my latest Japanese addition, to replace a well worn dollar pile US copy.
View attachment 20860View attachment 20861View attachment 20862
Fred, next time I see any CBS quads with the glued on rim labels, I will figger out how to photograph and post it. I checked all my Columbia quads but must have lost the ones I remember in my last intercity move.

Love all the background info! Thanks as always :)

Please do post pics! :D

Gotta get me some Andy Williams, the market is being bought up! Memories.... recalling all those TV Specials of his I saw as a kid when we received 2 or 3 over the air channels. Actually, he was a good singer and his wife was Claudine.....

He's an amazing singer (or rather was.. RIP) I'll never forget the wonderful times Dad played the shit out of his Happy Heart 8-track in the car when I was a kid!

My only sadness about these Andy Williams Quads is that, while there are several of his albums that were honoured with the Quad treatment, they didn't do Quad mixes of two of his absolute best 70's albums (1973's "Solitaire" and 1974's "The Way We Were") and they were slap bang in the middle of the Quad era.. and they are seriously good albums by any standard.

Audio Fidelity, I beg of you, if you or any of your representatives are reading this today, that you will consider enquiring with Sony as to whether Quad mixes were completed for these two albums yet unreleased and if so you might seek to release them in Surround - at last. Thank you.

One of my favourites in SQ, should not be too difficult to obtain still, even today.This was a favourite disc for all collector's of both LENNON and QUAD.

And according to Peters International magazine (a large import record distributor in the 70's,80's), this SQ QUAD disc was preferred by record collectors and plenty were pressed by EMI. No doubt a big seller worldwide!

20150820_073224.jpg20150820_073235.jpg20150820_073300.jpg

Excellent pressing btw, as are all of the EMI QUADS.

One day maybe it will get a SACD QUAD release! Oh A F ?

Forgot to mention

John Lennon mixed the quad version of his IMAGINE album.I think it bodes well for both quad and surround when the artists are involved.

One of my favourites in SQ, should not be too difficult to obtain still, even today.This was a favourite disc for all collector's of both LENNON and QUAD.

And according to Peters International magazine (a large import record distributor in the 70's,80's), this SQ QUAD disc was preferred by record collectors and plenty were pressed by EMI. No doubt a big seller worldwide!

View attachment 20904View attachment 20905View attachment 20906

Excellent pressing btw, as are all of the EMI QUADS.

One day maybe it will get a SACD QUAD release! Oh A F ?

Yes! I've seen this one around a few times since I started this SQ spree for only a few quid.. but I demurred since I thought the mix wasn't very good (I've never heard it, just going on what I was remembering I'd read.. or thought I had read.. obviously I was wrong!) anyhoo.. I'll pick one up over the weekend!

Many thanks for the info and neat pics (y)

Yes! I've seen this one around a few times since I started this SQ spree for only a few quid.. but I demurred since I thought the mix wasn't very good (I've never heard it, just going on what I was remembering I'd read.. or thought I had read.. obviously I was wrong!) anyhoo.. I'll pick one up over the weekend!

Many thanks for the info and neat pics (y)
I would love to get ahold of the Japanese QS/RM pressing of this one. Probably much better vinyl than the British SQ.

Back