The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, tomorrow night, after spending the day on Berwick Street in Soho celebrating Record Store Day (and hopefully picking up some nice little PVA trinkets), I'm heading off to the Hammersmith Apollo to see Adam Ant perform this debut album, 'Dirk Wears White Sox" in full for the first time to a live audience! Should be entertaining, depending on his current state of mind! LOL ;-) That album was, and still very much is, a massive influence on me so I'm really looking forward to this. I shall also be seeing him on Saturday afternoon as he's supposed to be putting in an appearance on Berwick Street itself to play a short set :)

I've also recently booked tickets to see Gary Numan (again) in June. Another major influence on me and always a brilliant live show :)

And I was one of the lucky ones to get fairly decent seats at Kate Bush's opening gig in August!

2014 is shaping up to match 2013 in terms of quality live music for me :)

View attachment 13741

My writing partner's band, Coronet Blue, played the Byron Bay BluesFest yesterday and today.
Lineup was:
Ken Stringfellow keyboards
Blondie Chaplin guitar
Rob Ladd drums
John Rooney vocals
Don Dixon bass
Mitch Easter guitar

Wow - that's some line-up! A Powerpop supergroup! Don Dixon has always been a personal fave (along with his wife, the sublime Marti Jones). Was this a one off or are they working on material to be recorded and released?

Well, tomorrow night, after spending the day on Berwick Street in Soho celebrating Record Store Day (and hopefully picking up some nice little PVA trinkets), I'm heading off to the Hammersmith Apollo to see Adam Ant perform this debut album, 'Dirk Wears White Sox" in full for the first time to a live audience! Should be entertaining, depending on his current state of mind! LOL ;-) That album was, and still very much is, a massive influence on me so I'm really looking forward to this. I shall also be seeing him on Saturday afternoon as he's supposed to be putting in an appearance on Berwick Street itself to play a short set :)

I've also recently booked tickets to see Gary Numan (again) in June. Another major influence on me and always a brilliant live show :)

And I was one of the lucky ones to get fairly decent seats at Kate Bush's opening gig in August!

2014 is shaping up to match 2013 in terms of quality live music for me :)

One of the things I miss about 80's artists (starting in the 70's) is they were very creative and had their own style and sound. It's really hard to find that in today's music. I can picture myself in my 80's and 90's still listening to a lot of that stuff. (y)

Wow - that's some line-up! A Powerpop supergroup! Don Dixon has always been a personal fave (along with his wife, the sublime Marti Jones). Was this a one off or are they working on material to be recorded and released?

Mitch worked on the first album. Don and Mitch worked on the second album. Blondie on the latest. Ken worked on the Orange Humble Band stuff which is really another close associate. Don is a good guy. Spent a couple of occasions with them over the last couple of days. Don gave me a copy of his CD High & Filthy & Borderline which has some great stuff on it. As to the Coronet Blue stuff, at this website http://www.coronetblue.com/ there are Youtube clips to some of our songs and a link to the Facebook page as well

Just watched "Better Day". Hey, how about putting out your Videos on a 5.1 BD? Kind of what AIX does. :)

Better Day is one of mine. I wrote or cowrote all the songs bar one on this album. John and I were in bands years ago but now I'm just a writer though I have a bit of an itch after seeing a gig the other night. A bit strange watching other people play your songs. What really pissed me off was they followed Suzanne Vega both nights at BluesFest. He says he didn't know but he'll not be forgiven in the near future for that! :)

As to a BD, not sure. Kevin Shirley produced the session but I doubt there are funds available for a 5.1 mix at present.

I'm working on something different as well. Bluesy I thought but most people tell it sounds very pop for something that is meant to be blues so who knows?

Many of you know what a cheerleader I am for composer/guitarist/keyboardist Mike Keneally. He's touring the East Coast and Mid-West of the United States in May with bassist Doug Lunn and drummer Gregg Bendian. Gregg is one of the best drummers you'll ever see - he leads a group called The Mahavishnu Project that covers the music of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I have no idea what the set list will be, but it will certainly be eclectic.

Tour dates here: http://www.keneally.com/keneally-bendian-lunn-u-s-tour-starts-may-15/

J. D.

Sadly I will get back to Nashville about 9:30pm the night they play Douglas Corner. I may pop in to say hello. Figure that Beller will be there if he's not on the road.

Tapatalk

One of the things I miss about 80's artists (starting in the 70's) is they were very creative and had their own style and sound. It's really hard to find that in today's music. I can picture myself in my 80's and 90's still listening to a lot of that stuff. (y)

Whilst I concede that many of the gigs I tend to go to nowadays are bands and artists that were making it big in the 80s, the ones I see are still forging new, original and relevant paths in their music. I'm not one for nostalgia gigs or events, unless it is a special, unique event. For example, the Adam Ant gig I went to on Saturday was the first time he had played his debut album, "Dirk Wears White Sox", live in full. Add that to the fact that the album was a massive influence on me, than and now, and I couldn't resist. Numan is still making amazing albums, year in year out and Kate Bush, well... what can you say about that great lady!? ;-)

Last year I saw Depeche Mode (still releasing new material), Peter Gabriel (a possible exception to the rule, given his recent spate of re-workings), Scritti Politti (still releasing new stuff) and Steven Wilson (no explanation required!). Whenever I mention artists like these to certain friends, they seem to think it's just a tired old bunch of men and women, trading off past glories, but I'm happy to say that is not the case and you can still get the same vibe and performance from them today as you could back in the day :)

Rick Wakeman last night at the Royal Albert Hall performing Journey to the Centre of the Earth with a full choir, orchestra and band. I haven't listened to that album in years, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I feared the gig may be dated and possibly cheesy, but my fears were completely unfounded. It was excellent and the whole thing was very impressive. The sound was superb (not always the case at that venue) and the man himself was majestic on the keyboards.

Rick Wakeman last night at the Royal Albert Hall performing Journey to the Centre of the Earth with a full choir, orchestra and band. I haven't listened to that album in years, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I feared the gig may be dated and possibly cheesy, but my fears were completely unfounded. It was excellent and the whole thing was very impressive. The sound was superb (not always the case at that venue) and the man himself was majestic on the keyboards.

I saw him last night at the Birmingham NIA, and I also wondered if it would be dated. It was excellent, it works far better live than on record, plus he wore his 70s golden cape! The half hour stories before hand were hilarious.

Mrs Doppelbock just bought a pair of tix to see Hugh Laurie up in Santa Fe at the great Lensic Theater next month - wonderful dinner/date night (again)

KASABIAN
Wed Oct 1 2014
Cabaret Metro, Chicago
kasabian.jpg
5378034349_7d825accf2_z.jpg

Mercifully, my boyfriend got seating, 'cause this is a standing room venue! Thanks, Joe!

Back