The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Hiatt in an outdoor farm setting on May 31st in Franklin, TN. Beck Hansen in Cleveland on June 19th on our way to Michigan for planes, trains & automobiles in Owasso.

From my phone

PAUL McCARTNEY - June 19, Smoothie King Center, New Orleans, LA
Steely Dan - August 2, Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN

Those 2 are definite for me as I already have the tickets.

Beck, Yes, and Ian Anderson are also playing at the Ryman this year (though obviously not all together). Not to mention Tom Petty with Steve Winwood will be rocking Bridgestone Arena in November. It's good to live close to Nashville. :)

Journey, Steve Miller & Tower of Power 7/12/14 First Midwest Bank Amphitheater, Tinley Park, IL
09_journey.jpg
Steve-Miller_320.jpg
Tower_of_Power_Artist.jpg
327_wide.jpg

Have seen Miller with Joe Cocker previously at this venue. Also have seen Steely Dan w/Michael McDonald, Santana, Allman Brothers, John Fogerty, ELP, Deep Purple and others here.

Linda, I'm going to the Journey, Miller & ToP show in Denver. Looking forward to it! Also have tickets for ZZ Top/Jeff Beck in August. Going to see the stage production of American Idiot this afternoon - should be interesting... :)

Went to see Jeff Beck with Brian Wilson (or vice versa) on 10/30/13 on the final night of their tour in Milwaukee, WI. See posts # 51 & 64 in this thread. Spectacular!

Linda, I'm going to the Journey, Miller & ToP show in Denver. Looking forward to it! Also have tickets for ZZ Top/Jeff Beck in August. Going to see the stage production of American Idiot this afternoon - should be interesting... :)

On 6/25 I'm going to see Ringo and the all star band! I never go out to shows anymore, but a chance to see Ringo cannot be passed up!
http://www.oneidaindiannation.com/p...oming-to-Turning-Stone-June-25-242610611.html

and, I'm a giddy as school girl! RINGO!!!
and the band is: Steve Lukather, Richard Page, Gregg Rolie, Todd Rundgren and Gregg Bissonette.

I saw the same lineup in Australia...they played at festival Hall melbourne...same place as the beatles in 64..it was a fantastic concert...

Black Magic woman was AWESOME.......Steve Lukather can play anything and it looks like he's not even trying...Gregg Rolie's voice is great , it sounds just like 1970..so you just felt like it was straight from the abraxas lp, perfectly played on stage with the original singer/organ player....the big highlight is Richard Page...his voice is incredible and he does the Toto and Mr Mister singing really well...and his bass playing on "with a little help from my friends" is exactly the same as McCartney's on sgt pepper. ...Ringo is a classic ,walking around stage all night cracking jokes, it really doesn't matter what he chooses to do, because his sidemen are amazing..so he sort of walks around carefree,as the M.C. saying things like "and for this next song, if you don't know the words, then you should go home because you're at the wrong venue".....or"this next song is from my latest cd and I'd personally like to thank all 15 people who bought it"... he does play the occaisional drums , but with Gregg Bissonette there he doesn't have to and sometimes he plays bongos...and once he did play the main keyboards (including the intro) on "don't pass me by"...actually he does things from every beatles lp....and finally Todd is very funny just from the way he dresses like it's still 1972...the only thing you could improve on is the song order, following a perfect rendition of Black Magic Woman with honey don't was perhaps not the best idea.

Last edited:
The last large show I attended would the Music Midtown festival in Atlanta. That was in the late fall of 2013. Nice line-up though: Jane's Addiction, Journey, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stone Age, Weezer, Drivin' N Cryin', and several of the new alternative bands that strike me as overly mediocre...

I avoid arena shows like the plague. Can't stand the acoustics of arenas. Haven't been in one for over a decade. I saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club late last year in a medium-sized room in Atlanta - they're amazing live. And I caught Angie Aparo in an intimate acoustic set with about 50 people present back in January of 2014.

Lots of classic rock shows touring through Atlanta lately, but they're insanely expensive...so I won't be going. But the Eagles are coming through, Steve Miller Band was just here, Prince is coming I think...tons of good stuff. Just can't see myself dropping $150-$300 per ticket when there's 4 of us that want to go (wife, daughters, myself). I like $25 shows. Would love to see that NIN/Soundgarden show that's coming as well.

$25.00?? Is that the beyond the nose-bleed section?

No, that's what I'd pay to see shows in a small venue. Paying $250 for a ticket is ludicrous. No live show is worth that, unless it comes with VIP access and free booze...and maybe some hookers.

Saw Concrete Blonde last year for like $19 in Atlanta. And they blew away the 1200 people present with a show that would rival any other. My point being, concerts are exhorbitantly priced now. I like General Admission, small-medium venues. Those are more intimate with better sound.

The reason why concerts cost so much now besides inflation is because artists are making very little to no money on selling their music and they have to make it up somehow. Along with selling other things like merchandise that they have to sell a lot of in order to break even. Then, they might make some dough.

I would add that artists like Steven Wilson (whether PT or solo) has kept the ticket prices in the $20-$25 range. There are great shows that are affordable but it may take some scouting effort. Just added the Bandsintown app to the phone to greatly the 'missed them' factor. View by date or word cloud after it checks the music on your phone to determine interests.

PS - We did not make the John Hiatt show last evening. It was worth more to stay at home than to sit through the 5 opening performers, John Hiatt second billed to Patty Griffin. Tickets were to raise funds for Harlinsdale Farms (park actuallY) so we treated it as a donation.

From my phone

Just saw Rodriguez of Looking For Sugarman at the Greek Theater. Not a cheap ticket but we had great seats and the man can sing and play guitar. I feel like I just saw a minor living legend....

Let me know how the show is - their new album is great!

If you get the chance to see the Smoke Fairies you've got to get to the gig, I've all the albums but had never managed to get to see them. I'd waited and bought the new CD at the gig (and love it), they played a lot of it, and the new songs just fitted well with the old songs. Incredible haunting, ethereal music. Their backing band are excellent and I hadn't expected a band with them as the gig is very small, only a 150-ish people there, you might of got another 100 in in the bar area. The Thekla is a converted banana boat in Bristol docks and the 'hall' is the cargo hold! Good acoustics surprisingly. They have moved away from the very folkie towards the rockier side and it worked really well on Tuesday, they can really rock.

Thekla-front.jpg Thekla-side.jpg Thekla-inside.jpg

^ Thanks Dunc! Looks like a neat place to see a show. I'm a little surprised they were in such a small place as they've been getting some really good reviews and hype with the new album. I'll definitely go see them if I get a chance.

We drove up to Santa Fe on Wednesday night to see Hugh Laurie. Very entertaining show, I suppose that's to be expected...lots of humor in the between song chat and he's quite charming. Musically it's not my favorite kind of stuff but I still enjoyed it, but maybe I think 90 minutes would have been plenty for me instead of the almost 2 1/2 hours. Pretty good band he's got playing with him.

Back