The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday night, Roger Hodgson at Naperville, IL Ribfest. A very good show! I strongly recommend you check him out if/when he comes to your area. Five piece band including Roger, plus a woman signing. They did all the Supertramp hits that he penned and sang lead on. Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast in America, Dreamer, The Logical Song, School, In Jeopardy, It's Raining Again, and more. They played for 90 minutes. Great ribs, and shitty Miller/Coors beer. Such lousy beer that I drank pop. After the show, the stage announcer proclaimed, "Let's hear it for Roger Hodgkins!"
rogerhodgsonband.jpg

We've got Ringo's All-Stars here on the 9th. Mrs Doppelbock bought tickets as she always had a soft spot Ringo as a kid, and as I've never seen a Beatle live and it's at a decent place here we decided to go...Todd's the big draw for me.

After that our calendar is clear as far as live show goes.

Just thought I'd mention that Ringo is 74 today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY RINGO!

Todd will not disappoint you, but if you like Mr. Mister the slightest bit, Richard Page will really impress you, and if Steve Lukather doesn't blow you away you might not be a guitar fan. And Gregg Rolie will take you back to 1969. Enjoy!

Well, show was last night. I really can't say I enjoyed very much of it. Ringo was fun, Todd was pretty good though "Love is the Answer" was an almost unrecognizable mess. The other guys were painful for me to listen to - I never liked Santana, never liked Toto, never liked Mr Mister even more and for some reason it was those songs that got dragged out for twice as long as they needed to. I couldn't even stay until the end, one of the worst concert experiences for me ever.

Now, none of that was helped by an 8pm show starting at 9:45pm...not the bands fault as the skies opened up right before showtime and everyone got soaked for over an hour, but even a dry on-time start wouldn't have helped much, just not my thing.

No disrespect to the musicians - they're a pretty talented bunch obviously, I just don't like what they do.

Went to see "The Tubes" Friday evening in Mansfield. It was a hoot! I have always wanted to see them, and it's hard to believe that it's been 40 years since I bought their first album. WMMS in Cleveland played songs from that album a lot back then. There are only five guys in the group now but they sounded great. They did a short set but played all of their favorites (except "Don't Touch Me There" as they no longer have a female singer). Fee Waybill did his legendary stage theatrics, changing into numerous outrageous costumes. Everyone in the audience was singing/chanting to "White Punks On Dope".........too fun!

Went to see "The Tubes" Friday evening in Mansfield. It was a hoot! I have always wanted to see them, and it's hard to believe that it's been 40 years since I bought their first album. WMMS in Cleveland played songs from that album a lot back then. There are only five guys in the group now but they sounded great. They did a short set but played all of their favorites (except "Don't Touch Me There" as they no longer have a female singer). Fee Waybill did his legendary stage theatrics, changing into numerous outrageous costumes. Everyone in the audience was singing/chanting to "White Punks On Dope".........too fun!

Having grown up in the Cleveland area I find your post quite nostalgic. Did you spot Kid Leo or Michael Stanley in the audience. :)

Having grown up in the Cleveland area I find your post quite nostalgic. Did you spot Kid Leo or Michael Stanley in the audience. :)

I did run into, and talked to Jeff Kinzbach once at an MMS sponsored concert. Kid Leo used to give the opening wind ups for the World Series of Rock shows at the old Municipal Stadium (in the late 70's). My wife and I have been to see Michael Stanley at least seven times. The last time was at Tangiers in Akron a couple years ago. He still puts on a great show.........and Cleveland still rocks! ;)

I did run into, and talked to Jeff Kinzbach once at an MMS sponsored concert. Kid Leo used to give the opening wind ups for the World Series of Rock shows at the old Municipal Stadium (in the late 70's). My wife and I have been to see Michael Stanley at least seven times. The last time was at Tangiers in Akron a couple years ago. He still puts on a great show.........and Cleveland still rocks! ;)

Holy Buzzard Beatles Blitz, Dennis! That's good stuff. I was at the ELO/Foreigner/Journey World Series of Rock and would never miss Jeff & Flash's Morning Mind Exercise. I will sign off with an obligatory mention of Hoolihan and Big Chuck.

Journey, Steve Miller & Tower of Power didn't happen on Saturday Night at the Midwest Bank Amphitheater in Tinley Park, IL due to extreme flooding. The venue claims that it will be rescheduled. It seems unlikely that all three acts and the venue can all get together on a single date. We'll see.

Monty Python at O2 arena London :banana:. As Fourplay said above it was an excellent night, but no sign of lupins!

Journey, Steve Miller, Tower of Power Tonight! :)

(Fortunately indoors, so should be safe from the crappy fate Linda's show got)

Ian Anderson and the Jethro Tull tribute band in Brescia, Italy. Just correct first half (Homo erraticus) and a better second one. The band can play, but they don't do any justice to the music. In a wonderful environment and on a hot night, they were unable to transmit any soul to the music, left me cold. And Ian, please, get rid of the jugglar (I can't stand John Ryan singing Ian's lines...)

^ Thanks Dunc! Looks like a neat place to see a show. I'm a little surprised they were in such a small place as they've been getting some really good reviews and hype with the new album. I'll definitely go see them if I get a chance.

Hi doppelbock, You may well get a chance to see the Smoke Fairies as they're doing 3 gigs on your side of the pond. I got this e-mail today,

"Coming To America!

We are over the moon to announce that we will be returning to the States for a short stint of shows. Owing to the money our label Full Time Hobby received from the Music Export Growth Scheme to promote us Stateside, we will be able to bring our band. We hope this mini promo tour will lead to more opportunities and a cross country tour. Watch this space...

For tickets & info for the September dates see the links below:

On Tuesday Sept 2nd we play the Communion club night at the Rockwood Music Hall, NYC
http://www.communionmusic.com/

Wednesday 3rd Sept it's the World Cafe Live in Philadelphia, PA.
http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/event/636641

and Friday 5th Sept we travel to headline an early show at Washington, DC's venue 'DC9'
http://www.dcnine.com/event/smoke-fairies/
"
It'll be a good gig.

Cheers,
Duncan

Last night I went to see a Legendary Salsa Singer, Oscar D'León ...this 73 year old man from Venezuela(who has had 2 heart attacks, etc.) put on a show like a young man- unfortunately, the sound
SUCKED!!! but man , the show was definitely worth it...all in "Madrid" time...doors opened at 10:30 show started at 1 AM and ended at about 3:30 AM....hadn't danced Salsa in a LOOOONG TIIIIIMMEEE...
Oscar Dleon.jpg

So, how was the show?

Great! I wasn't really familiar with Tower of Power, but enjoyed them a lot. Miller sounded great and his voice hasn't lost anything. Journey's sound was a bit overdriven, but they sounded good otherwise. Arnel can certainly hit the notes.

You likely own some albums that feature Tower of Power horns.

From Wiki:
Other performers supported by the Tower of Power horns include innovative electric slap bass guitarist Larry Graham's Graham Central Station, The Monkees, Little Feat, Josh Groban, Dave Matthews. Luis Miguel, Grateful Dead, Santana, Elkie Brooks, Cat Stevens (on his Foreigner Suite), Luis Miguel, Elton John, Linda Lewis, rad. (Rose Ann Dimalanta), Jermaine Jackson, John Lee Hooker, Helen Reddy, Rufus, Rod Stewart, Jefferson Starship, Mickey Hart, Heart, Damn Yankees, Huey Lewis and the News, Spyro Gyra, KMFDM,Lyle Lovett, Poison, Phish, Toto, Pharoahe Monch, Brothers Johnson, and Aerosmith, among many other acts. Their early song "So Very Hard To Go" was featured in the soundtrack of the 2002 film City of God, as well as Will Ferrell's Semi-Pro.

Great! I wasn't really familiar with Tower of Power, but enjoyed them a lot. Miller sounded great and his voice hasn't lost anything. Journey's sound was a bit overdriven, but they sounded good otherwise. Arnel can certainly hit the notes.

Pretty sure Tower Of Power toured the U.S. with Elton at some point in 74 or at least some of the guys did some gigs with him and are featured in the MSG Thanksgiving gig that turned out to be John Lennon's last live performance.

Also pretty sure TOP got a credit on his Caribou album in that period too (Bitch Is Back, You're So Static, Stinker, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me are all very horn-y, baby!) :p

TOP can be heard prominently on EJ's "The Bitch is Back."

Pretty sure Tower Of Power toured the U.S. with Elton at some point in 74 or at least some of the guys did some gigs with him and are featured in the MSG Thanksgiving gig that turned out to be John Lennon's last live performance.

Also pretty sure TOP got a credit on his Caribou album in that period too (Bitch Is Back, You're So Static, Stinker, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me are all very horn-y, baby!) :p

Last night I saw James Taylor at the Verizon Amphitheatre in Alpharetta, GA (near Atlanta). Great show. His voice is still in fine shape and was as appreciative and charming as ever. The band was top-notch and included Lou Marini (Blues Brothers), Walt Fowler (Zappa) and Steve Gadd (you name it!). All the old favorite tunes, of course, but with some new twists in the arrangements. Taylor obliged a fan or 2 with an autograph as he was leaving for intermission. Then noticing the demand decided to sit down at the foot of the stage and continued to sign and chat during the entire break. After the break the band started up while Taylor continued to sign for another 5 minutes or so. He then picked up the guitar and began the second set. Nicely done, James!

Back