The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone seen the latest YES show? Fragile & CTTE back to back...

They just played at the Ryman in Nashville this past week, but I opted out of that show in favor of Steely Dan (also at the Ryman), which was AMAZING!
They did FIVE songs from "Aja" including "Black Cow" and "Home at Last", two of my favorites.
A HIGHLY recommended show! :)

Just back and recovered from Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival, great shows from Capercaille, Steve Hackett, Waterboys, Australian Pink Floyd (the rain made the Laser Show really good!), Marillion, & Al Stewart.

So off to Beautiful Days Festival, headliners Steve Earle & The Dukes (Fri), Seasick Steve (Sat) , & The Levellers (Sun).

By Sunday I'll be feeling my age and in need of a rest! :confused:

Just back and recovered from Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival, great shows from Capercaille, Steve Hackett, Waterboys, Australian Pink Floyd (the rain made the Laser Show really good!), Marillion, & Al Stewart.

So off to Beautiful Days Festival, headliners Steve Earle & The Dukes (Fri), Seasick Steve (Sat) , & The Levellers (Sun).

By Sunday I'll be feeling my age and in need of a rest! :confused:

(y) How was Hackett?

I saw Yes this weekend. The supporting show was Syd Arthur who I hadn't heard of before. They sounded like they could have great potential but the sound was TERRIBLE. I was very bummed when Yes started with inferior sound but it quickly improved to be very good. I have seen them countless times and even go by myself these days for a good seat. Hard to belive they still play a good show. I'm reluctant to say because I love Jon Anderson and was just OK with their first recent replacement but Jon Davison, the newest singer, absolutely 'knocks it out of the park!'. He was just about perfect and Jon Anderson wasn't even that in the later years. A very, very good show again.

Last night I saw Ian Anderson and band at Symphony Hall in Atlanta. They first performed about 30 minutes of the new album which was my first time hearing the material. It was enjoyable enough but very familiar musical territory. That was followed by a wonderful rendition of Bourrée and a good chunk of Thick as a Brick before intermission. The second half was a 'best of' with some nice surprises including material from Benefit and Passion Play (which was preceded by Ian praising the Steven Wilson remix). The band was uniformly excellent and did the material proud. There was entertaining video projection throughout the show and plenty of (very welcome) vintage Tull theatricality and whimsy. However, I'd be lying if I said that Ian's voice was not a major distraction throughout the evening. It's more than just the absence of the top part of his range or his voice lacking power. He also had difficulty with pitch and sustaining notes. It did help that he had the aid of a second lead vocalist but it is sad that he can no longer effectively sing the material. Still, he seemed to be having a grand time and his flute playing was outstanding. He played relatively little guitar, none at all for the new material. I was slightly disappointed by that as his acoustic playing is wonderful and very under appreciated IMO.

Ian plays Nashville tonight, and I would have gone. Instead, I am @ DFW halfway to San Diego for King Crimson in Los Angeles TONIGHT! Yes I am wearing my 2008 KC tour shirt...

From QQ deep space

Ian plays Nashville tonight, and I would have gone. Instead, I am @ DFW halfway to San Diego for King Crimson in Los Angeles TONIGHT! Yes I am wearing my 2008 KC tour shirt...

Awesome! I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the show.

From QQ deep space

NICE!!! hope you have a GREAT time!

Just on my way home from seeing Flying Colors, with John Wesley supporting, in Islington, London. Excellent gig. I noticed Steven Wilson sat a few rows behind me! I think he only stayed for John Wesley though.

George Benson @ BB Kings next week. Preston Reed at the Infinity Music Hall in November and Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings at the Apollo in December

I saw Paul McCartney last night in Atlanta and enjoyed the show immensely. So happy to finally get to see him.

I saw Paul McCartney last night in Atlanta and enjoyed the show immensely. So happy to finally get to see him.

Glad you enjoyed it.
It's been almost 10 years since I have been to a Macca show.
Had tix to the New Orleans show this year when it was in June but decided not to travel back from TN when they rescheduled the date and so the tix were sold.
Would love to be at his Bridgestone Arena show in Nashville right now, but all the good seats were already taken when the rescheduled date was posted...

Glad you enjoyed it.
It's been almost 10 years since I have been to a Macca show.
Had tix to the New Orleans show this year when it was in June but decided not to travel back from TN when they rescheduled the date and so the tix were sold.
Would love to be at his Bridgestone Arena show in Nashville right now, but all the good seats were already taken when the rescheduled date was posted...

That's a shame. I was unable to attend the original Atlanta date so was glad when it was rescheduled. I would have enjoyed it for the nostalgia/hero worship factor alone but it went well beyond that. The production was one of the best I've ever seen with dazzling lights, film and pyrotechnics. The sound was terrific, perhaps the clearest I've ever heard in an arena setting. And the band was stellar. But best of all was Sir Paul front and center for nearly 3 hours giving it his all. I didn't even notice him pausing for a drink! The set list was a delight - a perfect blend of Beatles, Wings and a few new ones. I purposely avoided set list spoilers and was very pleasantly surprised by many choices. All in all it will stay with me as one of my favorite concert experiences.

Back