The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be right now at Fish concert in Madrid. I was really looking forward to this event as I love Feast of Consequences and he seemed to be in top form. I was really disappointed when the concert was cancelled, but now I'm almost glad it happened as my son got sick yesterday and I did not sleep at all yesterday. Oh, children :(

Went to the Palacio de los Deportes in Madrid to see One Republic on Thursday night-great concert. Was not aware that they were such good musicians. They put on a great show to half the Arena (which was "closed in" by very thick black curtains, so it was standing room only). It was TOO loud (...what?)- the subwoofers were given a real workout!!!!

Also discovered a band , which was being played over the PA before OR came on...ahh St. Google! ...BTW, it was Metric and the song was "Breathing Underwater" (from the LP/CD "Synthetica"...already ordered the LP)

Last night I saw Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood at Symphony Hall in Atlanta. The whole evening was fabulous but it was Medeski's mastery of all things B3 that most impressed me. Brilliant.

Nothing big on the horizon - might try make the trek up to Boulder for Steven Wilson but it's just not at a very convenient day/time for me. A couple low-key local shows we're going to though - for a little nostalgia Mrs Doppelbock wanted to see Dan Hicks so she got tickets, really small place here in town....and I bought us spots to see sister duo Lily & Madeleine at a lounge/restaurant place here. I like their albums and the other support acts look interesting too...so for a $12 ticket it seemed like an easy night out.

I hope you'll all indulge me mentioning my own upcoming gig. I play in a 10-piece Steely Dan tribute band and we have a big 10th anniversary show this Saturday at the 20th Century Theater in Cincinnati. Should any forum members live near the area and would like more info please feel free to send me a note! Our website:

http://www.ajamusic.net/index.html

I hope you'll all indulge me mentioning my own upcoming gig. I play in a 10-piece Steely Dan tribute band and we have a big 10th anniversary show this Saturday at the 20th Century Theater in Cincinnati. Should any forum members live near the area and would like more info please feel free to send me a note! Our website:

http://www.ajamusic.net/index.html

Very cool...do you also play in Savoy Truffle?

The Aristocrats this Sunday (Feb 1) in San Pedro (south of Los Angeles) at the Alvas Showroom where their first DVD (Boing: We'll Do It Live!) was recorded. Place holds about 80 people. After playing Thurs, Fri & Sat evenings, this Sunday 5pm set will cap their 4 day/night stand road-testing new material prior to going in the studio to record it. Should be an amazing show. Meeting two Facebook friends in person for the first time on this trip, both of them also bass players! One has ticket with me the other fellow is gigging but might make the scene.

Next weekend its off to the "Giants Of Rock", plenty of great bands :smokin

Giants_of_Rock_2015.jpg

Just got back from London Town where I saw UK ....they were kicking ass and taking names!!!!!! Jobson and Wetton with a POWERHOUSE of a drummer, Virgil Donati and gtr virtuoso Alex Machacek...WOW!..got to meet Eddie and ask him about MCH...he told me he got some of the UK masters from EG...can't wait....

Just got back from London Town where I saw UK ....they were kicking ass and taking names!!!!!! Jobson and Wetton with a POWERHOUSE of a drummer, Virgil Donati and gtr virtuoso Alex Machacek...WOW!..got to meet Eddie and ask him about MCH...he told me he got some of the UK masters from EG...can't wait....

I saw them a few years back in the States. Great show. Did Wetton do his solo version of "Book of Saturday"?

BREAKING NEWS!!!! IF ANYONE INTERESTED ON GETTING TICKETS FOR DAVID GILMOUR DATES IN 2015 (EUROPE ONLY), PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK: http://www.davidgilmourblog.co.uk/2015/03/2015-european-tour.html
It's not a joke, just got two Arena tickets for September 25th at RAH!!! I'm really, really happy.

Jon, perhaps we could create a new thread with the news :sun

Thanks for the news. I've just got myself an arena ticket for Friday September 25th at RAH too :banana:. Its looking like a great year for surround releases and for gigs too (tickets at the moment for Steven Wilson, Big Big Train, King Crimson, David Gilmour) :sun

I saw them a few years back in the States. Great show. Did Wetton do his solo version of "Book of Saturday"?
No , he did not...he looked like he'd be somewhere else but he played beautifully (even with the thumb pick he uses now...except for the last part of the last song)...but , still it was an AMAAAAZING show!!!

U.K. were the FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW , so it was great meeting Eddie and seeing them play a great set!
But there was a HUGE surprise..."Forever Until Sunday" from Bruford's "Feels good to me"...

No , he did not...he looked like he'd be somewhere else but he played beautifully (even with the thumb pick he uses now...except for the last part of the last song)...but , still it was an AMAAAAZING show!!!

U.K. were the FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW , so it was great meeting Eddie and seeing them play a great set!
But there was a HUGE surprise..."Forever Until Sunday" from Bruford's "Feels good to me"...

I got to meet virtuoso Keyboard / Violin player before the concert- LOVELY MAN....gotta get in touch with him regarding the MCH mixes from UK...here's a photo of me and him..he signed my "Zinc" and "Danger Money" Jap pressing LPs
11033356_10153192629979587_1882778219_o.jpg

Last edited:
On Thursday night, I went to see The Trevor Horn Band at London's Shepherd's Bush Empire. A tantalising bill that promised not only the assembled band of legends that Trev commands (Trevor, Stephen Lipson, Lol Creme, Geoff Downes, Ash Soan, Luis Jardim, Phil Palmer, Julian Hinton, Simon Bloor, Kirsten Joy, Kate Westall, Jamie Squire) but the mighty Seal on vocal duties.

After an awkward support act (Will Heard - nervy, beset by audio problems), the band took to the stage and kicked off with an instrumental version of "Welcome To The Pleasuredome', followed by "Living In The Plastic Age". after a couple more songs, Seal took the stage (By 'eck, that man is buff!!) and proceeded to apologise that he would not be performing due to having a severe case of flu and his voice was shot to bits. He was desperately sad to pull out, as were we all, but the very fact he came on stage, explained and apologised garnered him a huge round of applause.

The show, as they say, did carry on and it was a night of classic hits from the stables of most on the stage. 'Slave To The Rhythm' (with both vocals and live drums totally nailed), 'Video Killed The Radio Star', 'Rubber Bullets', 'Why', 'I'm Not In Love', 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' (preceded by a version of Yes' 'Soon'), 'Two Tribes', The Power Of Love' (sung by Gabrielle Aplin, who did a recent cover), 'Prayer For The Dying', 'All The Things She Said' and many more. A veritable smorgasbord of hits, played deftly and expertly and not a bum note in sight.

Aside from the obvious disappointment of not seeing/hearing Seal perform live, and Trevor once again dodging anything from 'Drama', it was another top night out with this great band, littered with jokes and anecdotes and general bon viveur!

Prog magazine also did a review, with some pics, here...

http://prog.teamrock.com/reviews/2015-03-06/first-look-trevor-horn-band

Next up for me is Steven Wilson this coming Thursday for the first date of his HCE tour. Cannot wait for that!!

Then it's Adam Ant in April, Heaven 17 in May and Foo Fighters, Iggy Pop and Royal Blood in June!

On Thursday night, I went to see The Trevor Horn Band at London's Shepherd's Bush Empire.

:eek: I was there too! I didn't fancy standing through support, and generally hanging around, and made it there about 8:25. I saw someone post a setlist somewhere on Facebook and Crazy was due to be played. Shame they dropped it entirely instead of going the instrumental route.

Ohhh so sorry Seal couldn't make it in the end...that was a gig that I saw coming up when I was in London and I went "IT FIGURES!"....Just seeing Trevor Horn and company would have been insane! (Trevor is EXTREMELY ASHAMED of his tenure in Yes as a singer/bass/guitarist...BUT NOT AS A PRODUCER!!!!)

Back