how many of us are musicians

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I went for an interview to work as a student in a chemical plant just before college, the "team" of interviewers there said to me: "You're a musician and play in a band? What happens if we call you to work on a night you're on stage?" (well f*** you too..) Got the job anyway :) but still... (do you have any grey poupon?)

you lucky "bastage" ;)....but, you see?? you GOT the job...

you lucky "bastage" ;)....but, you see?? you GOT the job...

My mom worked there.. it helped a bit :) I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I've never really "fit" in a room full of suits and ties.. :burnout

Thanks to other posters for sharing the cool links above.

When I was maybe 8 or 9 I had clarinet lessons, and ended up as 1st clarinet in the school band. But I wanted to play with my friends in the woods more than practicing at that time, so I quit the band. When I was 17 my brother gave me his old guitar, but I was still not in a disciplined space to practice and get good, so I dropped it.

When I was 20 I was collecting tons of music and was just so in love with music, and fortunately was not in love with a partner so I had plenty of time on my hands (a good relationship needs time!) so my compulsion to play finally overtook me and I hunkered down to play guitar. In another thread the song Grantchester Meadows is mentioned. That was the song I learned guitar with - not finger picked, but strummed. I played that sucker TO DEATH, and at some point it felt good and sounded good. I then added songs and gradually built a repertoire.

I still have many distractions in life, not the least of which are a loving relationship and listening to the amazing output of professional musicians, but the ability to sit down and make a joyful sound from a musical instrument is something I very much treasure, and I would recommend it to any music fan. It's a bit of a chore at first, but you only ever have to please yourself, and feeling fluid with that first song was such a thrill.

Music is just such a core part of my life. Could any of us imagine life without it?

Loved the Loreena McKennitt clip! Saw/listened to her twice. The first time was at Chicago Theater, the second was at the Civic Opera House, where the Lyric opera performs. She introduced her band as "my idling Porsches," since they're all capable of playing much harder material than even hers.

Loved the Loreena McKennitt clip! Saw/listened to her twice. The first time was at Chicago Theater, the second was at the Civic Opera House, where the Lyric opera performs. She introduced her band as "my idling Porsches," since they're all capable of playing much harder material than even hers.

Lucky you !! "my idling Porsches"... that's so cute :D (they are indeed virtuosos picked from around the world.. the guy on violin has been crowned best for jazz improv in Canada) :banana:

Aside for her CD discog, I've only had the chance to watch the Nights From The Alhambra DVD (with 5.1DD audio Thank You), but still... it is mesmerizing. :music And the venue!!

I still have many distractions in life, not the least of which are a loving relationship and listening to the amazing output of professional musicians, but the ability to sit down and make a joyful sound from a musical instrument is something I very much treasure, and I would recommend it to any music fan. It's a bit of a chore at first, but you only ever have to please yourself, and feeling fluid with that first song was such a thrill.

At the risk of sounding a bit corny, I stumbled on this a few weeks ago and liked it so much I saved it:

“If you play music for no other reason than actually just because you love it, the skills just kinda creep up on you.” - Nuno Bettencourt

Nuno's right...

It is proven that , if you practice an instrument and get to a high level ffor at least 10 years, that youwill never forget it...you may get rusty.....but NEVER forget it (unless you have a physical condition that ails you)..
I can leave my bass alone for MONTHS sometimes, and when I pick t up , it's like I was playing it "last week"..

BTW, thank you for reminding me that I should do a couple more videos ..the only one I did was in 2010!!!!!

When I was maybe 8 or 9 I had clarinet lessons...

Thanks Fourplay. I was debating about writing here but your clarinet statement gave me the push I needed.
I also started on clarinet in grade school. I actually wanted to play tenor sax, as that was big at the time (pre-1964), but my father insisted I take clarinet because it's easier to move from clarinet to sax than the other way around. Being the brat that I was (am) I gave it a go for a while but eventually gave it up. I still have it. The case is all moldy but I can't bear to part with it.
In 1964 we moved from Irvington to Edison, just in time for me to start Junior High. Since the world changed on Feb 9th, 1964 I decided I wanted to be a drummer. That went well until High School. We had a band called (are you ready for this) The Enterprises and we all wore valor shirts like the crew of the Enterprise. We had a member who had a bass guitar but couldn't play it, but he could play a bit of drums, so I took the bass and learned how to play it. My father was an upright bass player in a Polka Band so he was happy with that. From that point on I was basically a Bass Player.
I played in many types of bands. I was in a 6 piece rock band during college which played lots of Beatles (group and solo), some Yes (Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround), some ELP (Hoedown, Nutrocker) etc. I also played in Polka Bands and Lounge Bands. In the 80's I was asked by a coworker, who was putting together an Elvis Tribute band, if I would play keyboards for them. To be honest, my keyboard skills are pretty poor, but I was able to get by doing the brass and string parts for them on synth's. That lasted a few years. I finally retired from live playing in 1990. I was fed up with the bands always saying "Ed can carry in the P.A. He's younger than us"! :D

Alright, I'll play. I won't bore you with my own songs, but I thought I'd give everyone a Friday night chuckle with one of my Karaoke stints at Arlene's Grocery in New York City (the hostess and back up vocalist was the sweet and talented Shannon Conley of Lez Zeppelin).

Please keep in mind:

• I had just gotten off of an eleven hour train ride (from Montreal to NYC).
  • I'd had two Bourbons.
  • I had never played with them cats before.
  • This was shot with a small camcorder so it looks and sounds rough.
  • I hadn't done that song in ten years and flubbed a bunch of lines and was a wee bit off key.
  • It's only Rock 'n' Roll.

Alright, now you can larf. :D

[video]https://youtu.be/pk9V1Mee5F4[/video]

OK, while I'm more of a music fan than a musician, I did manage to nab me a wife with some amazing pipes (well, at least I think so!)

[video]https://youtu.be/f2bzRit5o1M[/video]

I am fairly competent on acoustic twelve string guitar.

I struggle on piano, harpsichord and organ - I don't know whether it's due to being VERY left handed or lousy coordination - I can play the correct notes with either hand singly, but when trying to play with both hands simultaneously the act falls apart at the seams.

TRW.jpg

I've played guitar for quite a while. This is me and my trusty SG Custom from around 1983.Obligatory cans of Fosters and VB on the Marshall. Strange? I would have thought they would have been Silver Bullets back then?

Back