how many of us are musicians

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first real six-string
Bought it "from a friend of mine"
Played it till my fingers bled
It was the summer of '69

I would like to thank Bryan Adams for writing that song. That could be me with the small modification in quotes. It helps me keep track of when this musical madness started soaking up all my extra cash.

guitars, keyboards, bass, vocals, percussion and recording equipment.
In several bands playing rock like zep,floyd,yes,elp,beatles,hendrix,purple,sabbath,crimson, anything really. plus writing our own.
I play every day, music is timeless, it keeps me young.

Very nicely put, strat 54. In addition to young, music can keep you grounded and provide insights into life and love. We are all here at QQ to honor the muse, within and without.

Music is the Doctor of my soul!

I got my first real six-string
Bought it "from a friend of mine"
Played it till my fingers bled
It was the summer of '69

I would like to thank Bryan Adams for writing that song. That could be me with the small modification in quotes. It helps me keep track of when this musical madness started soaking up all my extra cash.

guitars, keyboards, bass, vocals, percussion and recording equipment.
In several bands playing rock like zep,floyd,yes,elp,beatles,hendrix,purple,sabbath,crimson, anything really. plus writing our own.
I play every day, music is timeless, it keeps me young.

Since I'm nowhere as cute as Sheila E(scovedo), I didn't pursue a career in music.

Ginger Baker is nowhere as cute as Sheila E either but I'd rather listen to him bang the cans, beauty fades - art is forever, just go for it :sun

Sheila E. is very talented. Either Ginger Baker or Keith Moon would get my vote for best rock drummer. I don't look like either, Thank God! Can you say bombastic?
Ginger Baker is nowhere as cute as Sheila E either but I'd rather listen to him bang the cans, beauty fades - art is forever, just go for it :sun

Last edited:
Shrila E. is very talented. Either Ginger Baker or Keith Moon would get my vote for best rock drummer. I don't look like either, Thank God! Can you say bombastic?

I was not detracting from Sheila's talent in the slightest, I have a CD of hers here in the rack. I was just making the point that looks and age should not matter in art or music and please don't let it stop you from pursuing your artistry to the fullest.
I have enjoyed reading your posts on here for the past year, you are a real hoot, carry on. :banana:
By the way, my choice for rock drummer supreme would be John Bonham followed by Baker,Mitchell,Bruford and Palmer.

Rehersals for the QQ Roadshow Band & Review begin on the first of April at Lake Wazupumani. Bring your own instruments!

"We're on a mission from Quad" :)

Rehersals for the QQ Roadshow Band & Review begin on the first of April at Lake Wazupumani. Bring your own instruments!

My thoughts, "The QQ all star Quad multi-channel band. Of course our 1st production will be on BD! In DTS master audio.
with our own Berklee graduate, and of course Steve Wilson will do the production in MC!

Now your talking.....

You'd need a horn section if "your on a mission from quad" :).... I might be able to help out - I used to play Trumpet & Cornet...

I'm a sucker for ANY surround music with "horns" in the rear channels.....

Hey, count me in for the QQ all around band...although there's gonna be a bit of a ruckus to decide who the bass player is gonna be ;)
maybe we can distribute the roles and have different bassists in different songs...
At least I can play the Stick in a couple of songs!...
Cheers...

KGB rehersal2.jpg

just show how the years have passed here is me mid rehearsal back in the glorious 80's I know there was a picture somewhere.

how times and hair lines have changed if you compare the picture of me in the who are you thread

Thanks for the compliment, Strat54. Reliable sources say that I'm two hoots!

Yes, in choosing a spouse or partner, as well as bandmembers, looks don't count for much, unless you're shallow. I do look better in the dark. lol!!

Kap'n should get the nod for leading the band. He MUST have learned something at Berklee, in between dozing off in class.

Nice 80's hair, Fletch. You actually look younger now. :brew

I was not detracting from Sheila's talent in the slightest, I have a CD of hers here in the rack. I was just making the point that looks and age should not matter in art or music and please don't let it stop you from pursuing your artistry to the fullest.
I have enjoyed reading your posts on here for the past year, you are a real hoot, carry on. :banana:
By the way, my choice for rock drummer supreme would be John Bonham followed by Baker,Mitchell,Bruford and Palmer.

Somehow I missed this thread in 2012.

I play acoustic guitar and didgeridoo. I also sing overtones (like the Tuvans, although not as well), and I have two CDs released under the name Lucius Terwilliger (really).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LV6A4I...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1464323907&sr=8-1

(I see someone is selling one used on Amazon for $80, but I can cut a better deal than that)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IJ30...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1464323907&sr=8-2

(Track samples available on this one - proceed with caution).

Privateuniverse appears on both these CDs - I will let him "toot his own horn" as it were.

I would love to mix some of this material to surround. It's on my to-do list. Privateuniverse mixed one for me, but we have never circulated it... Track 6 on the 2nd disc is the one I want to do the most. Projects, projects...

I am hesitant to claim myself as a musician. I play, but do not speak the language fluently...

Somehow I missed this thread in 2012.

I play acoustic guitar and didgeridoo. I also sing overtones (like the Tuvans, although not as well), and I have two CDs released under the name Lucius Terwilliger (really).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LV6A4I...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1464323907&sr=8-1

(I see someone is selling one used on Amazon for $80, but I can cut a better deal than that)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IJ30...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1464323907&sr=8-2

(Track samples available on this one - proceed with caution).

Privateuniverse appears on both these CDs - I will let him "toot his own horn" as it were.

I would love to mix some of this material to surround. It's on my to-do list. Privateuniverse mixed one for me, but we have never circulated it... Track 6 on the 2nd disc is the one I want to do the most. Projects, projects...

I am hesitant to claim myself as a musician. I play, but do not speak the language fluently...

♫ the sun shines ♪ ... ♫ in the rain ♪

I would sooo hear this in a movie! :D

(listening to the "Try This At Home" samples on Amazon.com) outright original.. and smart-humor! :upthumb

that deserves the 5.1 treatment! (at times I somehow hear Roger Waters without the suicidal depression part:yikes) :banana:

*as long as you play, the "language" isn't all that important.. I haven't set eyes on someone else's sheet music for over 25 years (I wouldn't call myself a musician either... pseudo-composer at best.. but hey, it sells!)

It's funny cause in the States(work wise) they actually recognize the fact that musicians make excellent workers, since we have a lot of discipline and we use both brain hemispheres all the time...unfortunately, here in Spain, when you say in an interview that you are a musician they treat you like a leper....or worse!

When I went for an interview to work as a student in a chemical plant just before college, the "team" of interviewers there said to me: "You're a musician and play in a band? What happens if we call you to work on a night you're on stage?" (well f*** you too..) Got the job anyway :) but still... (do you have any grey poupon?)

I missed this thread too. I try to pretend I'm a musician. I'm in three bands at present.

One is an all-instrumental band called Killer Filler. Here's a sample -- a Meters-influenced original called Morgan's Alley, played at Carolina Beach's Ocean Grill (at the end of a pier over the ocean -- coolest venue ever!)

One is an all original band called Turntable Graveyard (owing to the fact that I repair turntables and keep a junkyard for parts supplies). Here we are playing a slightly insane song about chaos theory. It's James Brown meets Beck meets Flaming Lips meets Talking Heads.

One is called 8-Track Minds, all 70s, all the time. This is the most financially viable band because we make the ladies in the house sing along and dance.

I'm 51 years old. To still be doing this kind of thing regularly on weekend nights is the most fun thing ever. It's a lot of work, but it's totally worth it.

I missed this thread too. I try to pretend I'm a musician. I'm in three bands at present.

One is an all-instrumental band called Killer Filler. Here's a sample -- a Meters-influenced original called Morgan's Alley, played at Carolina Beach's Ocean Grill (at the end of a pier over the ocean -- coolest venue ever!)

One is an all original band called Turntable Graveyard (owing to the fact that I repair turntables and keep a junkyard for parts supplies). Here we are playing a slightly insane song about chaos theory. It's James Brown meets Beck meets Flaming Lips meets Talking Heads.

One is called 8-Track Minds, all 70s, all the time. This is the most financially viable band because we make the ladies in the house sing along and dance.

I'm 51 years old. To still be doing this kind of thing regularly on weekend nights is the most fun thing ever. It's a lot of work, but it's totally worth it.

a pier... damn right it's a cool venue! music's cool too :upthumb ... five musicians in a circle? I'm dancin' right in the middle! :51banana:

The Spin Inside.. say Wah? Wah-Wah! cool lead guitar and keys solos btw.. (I think you play the keys?)

Dancing Queen? holy moly, I want to go to one of your jams! :banana:

Definitely more fun to do this than sit on the couch all the time a beer in hand giving the tv a blank stare with zero brain activity.. :couch

Thanks for checking them out! I'm proud of all of them. I have great bandmates too.

I'm a guitarist. The guy in the baseball hat on the right on the pier video, and the guy playing the the wah guitar on The Spin Inside. In the 70s band, I'm the guy on the far right. It's a wig, in case you were wondering. :eek:

It never occurred to me until you pointed it out -- maybe the reason I like surround recordings so much is it's like the sensation of being inside the band, which I experience on a regular basis.

as for me.. I was drawned to music for as long as I can remember (danced like crazy with my mom listening to ABBA, Supertramp, Donna Summer, MJ's Thriller, lots of disco..) and had a few "toy instruments/keyboards", but it started to get serious when I was around 8yo: 2 years of organ lessons, 1 year of piano lessons, then I discovered bands like Europe, Def Leppard, Metallica (Am I evil? Yes I am!), so I moved on to guitar lessons... then I heard Dark Side Of The Moon on a "wacky" :mad:@: evening; keyboards here I come! Started programming multi-parts on my XP-80 and played things like Any Colour You Like, Echoes, and One Of These Days with friends in high school. I remember the theater teacher (who was a stoner) came to us after an afternoon show once in total AWE: you guys played One Of These Days? you guys played One Of These Days! :smokin and I went Further Down The Spiral of composition and midi programming buying samplers, analog synths..

Ten years later I started pickin' up violin (celtic, folklore), and a few months later cello (oh! Loreena McKennitt, how your music speaks to me..) and if it wasn't so hard to find in Canada (and expensive), I would've purchased an Oud, a Lyra, a kanun, and a hurdy gurdy.. Here's a hauntingly beautiful example of why I wanted to get these:

[video=youtube;4QpRCK1IbiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpRCK1IbiE[/video]

In 2008 I learned that one could make rather convincing classical orchestra mock ups with virtual instruments on a computer and started studying the craft.. huh.. been 8 years already? time sure flies by! and now I'm on a guitar/bass/drums phase..

ha! .. I just remembered I did have a drumkit when I was like 5 or 6yo.. but one day I decided I wanted to throw my little cars at them... 'til they went right through the heads :yikes ... damn you Hot Wheels! I could've been the next Lars Ulrich :banana:

Last edited:
Back